LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

2016 QB class

somebody find us a new toy
Can anyone tell me anything about Cody Kessler? His numbers are great, has experience in a pro style offense and his stats suggest good accuracy and decision making, but I've never really watched him play lol. Can anyone give me a run down of his strengths/weaknesses/ why he doesn't seem to be highly ranked?
Originally posted by Rascal:
Sorry, totally disagree.

I never wanted to give Kap his big contract this early in the first place and was hoping to draft Jimmy Garoppolo this year to compete with Kap to see what happens before we extend him. Well, look at what happened ?

So, in my book, we are already 1 year late in drafting an alternative QB. So, no way should we wait until 2016. We will have to draft that legit pocket passer next May without further delay. Let him compete and if he beats out Kap in camp, start him.

Wise words.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
The more clips I look at, the more I am leaning towards Bryce Petty. How about it, folks ?

The more clips I look at, the more I am leaning towards Bryce Petty. How about it, folks ?

Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

Edit: if Harbaugh is to leave after the season, I'd love to see Art Briles become HC. Petty/Briles in the NFL would be money.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Dec 8, 2014 at 6:21 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

Edit: if Harbaugh is to leave after the season, I'd love to see Art Briles become HC. Petty/Briles in the NFL would be money.

I am all for it. I will do more homework on other prospects, but right now he is on top of my list.
Don't live in the past.

Remember you are only as good as your last play, this is the NFL afterall.

Let's face it, Kap has been totally crap all season, actually he wasn't all that great last season neither.

Well at the point of him signing his contract he just went to a NFCC game, not really living in the past when they gave him the contract....

Pass on a system QB, why didn't we just draft Graham Harrell a couple years ago lol
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Well at the point of him signing his contract he just went to a NFCC game, not really living in the past when they gave him the contract....

Are you referring to the same game whereby he committed 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter which cost us the opportunity to go to the Super Bowl ?

But, OK as far as the contract goes, what's done is done. My post was in reply to the poster bringing up about the same ole 3 NFCCG and 1 Super Bowl appearances.

My point is that was the past and now Kap is in deep sh*t and something needs to be done about it.
The QB class this year is pretty s**tty, I'll be honest. I'd be surprised if any QB coming out of this draft is an NFL starter in 5 years. 2016 isn't looking a whole lot better but only time will tell. Even guys that I like, such as Grayson, I'm not completely sold on.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 8, 2014 at 8:35 AM ]

Are you referring to the same game whereby he committed 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter which cost us the opportunity to go to the Super Bowl ?

But, OK as far as the contract goes, what's done is done. My post was in reply to the poster bringing up about the same ole 3 NFCCG and 1 Super Bowl appearances.

My point is that was the past and now Kap is in deep sh*t and something needs to be done about it.

Right the same game when he was the only player keeping them in the game...I still think Kap can be a good starting QB with the right system...enough with this 3 and 4 WR sets. Kap isn't a statue pocket passing QB that is going to carve up the secondary like a Brady. He needs to be a duel threat like Wilson! Run read options and the pistol. Why they hell was he throwing the ball that much yesterday? Gore was running for over 5 yards a carry against the worst run D in the league!

As far as the contract at that point he was a starting QB in the league that had done nothing but win and put the team in the playoffs since he was a starter. SF got lucky with the deal he signed and aren't locked in for the long haul. I think he can be saved with the right coach. Bring in a young offensive mind that understands how to use a duel threat like Kap.

Pass on a system QB, why didn't we just draft Graham Harrell a couple years ago lol

Yeah that's true, system quarterbacks are horrible. Cause guys like Mariota, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo are all trash cause they came from a QB friendly system in college.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Dec 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM ]
Yeah that's true, system quarterbacks are horrible. Cause guys like Mariota, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo are all trash cause they came from a QB friendly system in college.

To be honest, Mariota could end up being a huge bust, Carr has looked decent with no tape on him, remember Foles last year....his second season will determine where he's really at as a QB. Garoppolo....who knows, even Matt Cassel looked outstanding in New England.

I get your point but I'm not really a fan of Petty either, too many weaknesses than I think he can overcome. He's been compared to Drew Stanton and I think that is actually a pretty good comparison overall.

"He puts up monster numbers in an offense that doesn't have a history of producing successful pro-style quarterbacks," an AFC area scout told NFL Media's Albert Breer. "He's a smart, high character player. Decent athlete, with a strong lower body, but I personally don't see him as a top prospect."

That scout compared Petty to the Green Bay Packers' Matt Flynn and the Arizona Cardinals' Drew Stanton -- not exactly household names.

"He's a big, athletic, smart kid, but he needs to develop (away) from a spread offense to have a chance," an NFC personnel executive told Breer. "Timing and accuracy are the concerns."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000439075/article/scouts-concerned-about-bryce-pettys-pro-potential
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

To be honest, Mariota could end up being a huge bust, Carr has looked decent with no tape on him, remember Foles last year....his second season will determine where he's really at as a QB. Garoppolo....who knows, even Matt Cassel looked outstanding in New England.

I get your point but I'm not really a fan of Petty either, too many weaknesses than I think he can overcome. He's been compared to Drew Stanton and I think that is actually a pretty good comparison overall.

"He puts up monster numbers in an offense that doesn't have a history of producing successful pro-style quarterbacks," an AFC area scout told NFL Media's Albert Breer. "He's a smart, high character player. Decent athlete, with a strong lower body, but I personally don't see him as a top prospect."

That scout compared Petty to the Green Bay Packers' Matt Flynn and the Arizona Cardinals' Drew Stanton -- not exactly household names.

"He's a big, athletic, smart kid, but he needs to develop (away) from a spread offense to have a chance," an NFC personnel executive told Breer. "Timing and accuracy are the concerns."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000439075/article/scouts-concerned-about-bryce-pettys-pro-potential
I'm not saying those guys are going to be the greatest QBs ever. But knocking a guy for the system he plays in, is ridiculous. I'm not a Mariota fan, think he'll be drafted to high when it's not warranted. But everybody and their brother wanted Garappolo last year, and he came from the same exact system as Petty. Dino Babers was Baylor's WR coach and took it to Eastern Illinois (and now Bowling Green). Saying you don't want a system QB means you don't want a QB. All colleges seem to employ some type of spread offense.

And I don't see the Drew Stanton comparison. To me he looks like a generic Blake Bortles.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Actually, majority of the QB's entering the draft are system QB's. Hardly any college team sticks to a true Pro Style system and teaches mechanics to fit the system. NFL teams no longer determine a QB's potential from the system they ran in college.
Share 49ersWebzone