LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

2016 QB class

Assuming we get a new OC or entirely new coaches next year, I think Kap gets one more year to prove himself before we have to seriously consider drafting a QB early. So how is the 2016 QB class shaping up?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Sorry, totally disagree.

I never wanted to give Kap his big contract this early in the first place and was hoping to draft Jimmy Garoppolo this year to compete with Kap to see what happens before we extend him. Well, look at what happened ?

So, in my book, we are already 1 year late in drafting an alternative QB. So, no way should we wait until 2016. We will have to draft that legit pocket passer next May without further delay. Let him compete and if he beats out Kap in camp, start him.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Sorry, totally disagree.

I never wanted to give Kap his big contract this early in the first place and was hoping to draft Jimmy Garoppolo this year to compete with Kap to see what happens before we extend him. Well, look at what happened ?

So, in my book, we are already 1 year late in drafting an alternative QB. So, no way should we wait until 2016. We will have to draft that legit pocket passer next May without further delay. Let him compete and if he beats out Kap in camp, start him.

The guy took us to a SB and 2 consecutive NFC Champ. game in his mid-20s - and you wanted to draft a QB in the early rounds? And we already had that competition with Alex Smith, and Colin won.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
The guy took us to a SB and 2 consecutive NFC Champ. game in his mid-20s - and you wanted to draft a QB in the early rounds? And we already had that competition with Alex Smith, and Colin won.

Don't live in the past.

Remember you are only as good as your last play, this is the NFL afterall.

Let's face it, Kap has been totally crap all season, actually he wasn't all that great last season neither.
Jared Goff is the QB for 2016 assuming he goes out early. He's a much better pocket passer than Kaepernick ever will be.
Originally posted by The411:
Jared Goff is the QB for 2016 assuming he goes out early. He's a much better pocket passer than Kaepernick ever will be.

Almost every QB in the PAC 12 has huge numbers. They all play in wide open spread offenses that provide enormous windows. Very difficult to project any of them to the NFL.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Any suggestions for the 2015 class ?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rascal:
Any suggestions for the 2015 class ?

lol you seen my list. But I'll repeat my number pick in Sean Mannion, hands down the most Pro ready QB there is right now. I also like Bryce Petty, but not as polished as Mannion.
Gunner Kiel. How can you go wrong with a QB named Gunner? Nice looking pocket QB, great accuracy, strong arm, quick release, good touch on his passes, good size.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
lol you seen my list. But I'll repeat my number pick in Sean Mannion, hands down the most Pro ready QB there is right now. I also like Bryce Petty, but not as polished as Mannion.

Like drafting a poor man's, less athletic version of Kaepernick. He's got all the same questions, throwing accuracy, ability to read a defense, adapt to pro style offense coming from a spread system.....not a fan of his at all, sorry.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Like drafting a poor man's, less athletic version of Kaepernick. He's got all the same questions, throwing accuracy, ability to read a defense, adapt to pro style offense coming from a spread system.....not a fan of his at all, sorry.

I was thinking more like 4th-7th round, he would be a nice project. I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd QB, he could very well be a Scott Tolzien.

But I also forgot Taylor Kelly sorta Jake Plummer' ish, another QB in my top 5.
I was thinking more like 4th-7th round, he would be a nice project. I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd QB, he could very well be a Scott Tolzien.

Meh on Kelly as well, very lacking as a passer.

Garrett Grayson and Jacoby Brisett are two more that I like quite a bit. Grayson has been money this year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Meh on Kelly as well, very lacking as a passer.

Garrett Grayson and Jacoby Brisett are two more that I like quite a bit. Grayson has been money this year.

Not sure what you're watching out there in Arizona but Kelly seems to spread the needle fine in the pocket and that's what I'm looking for in what I envision as a 49ers QB. I'm tired of there strong armed laser rocket armed QB's that can't read a D for s**t, gimme someone that utilizes all his weapons on offense, takes advantage of rhythm and chemistry.
Wait until 2017 and get Bad News Barrett
Not sure what you're watching out there in Arizona but Kelly seems to spread the needle fine in the pocket and that's what I'm looking for in what I envision as a 49ers QB. I'm tired of there strong armed laser rocket armed QB's that can't read a D for s**t, gimme someone that utilizes all his weapons on offense, takes advantage of rhythm and chemistry.

I see more as a system player really than anything else. Bercovici came in and put up some nice numbers as well, leading ASU to an upset over USC. Good mobility, questionable accuracy at times, tends to throw up some ducks as well.

I think the 49ers missed out by not taking a QB this past draft. Either Murray or Mettenberger were available for them.
Share 49ersWebzone