LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

ECU's QB Shane Carden and WR Justin Hardy

Not sure if anyone on the west coast notices these guys, as they play for a smaller school in North Carolina, but they are lighting it up.

Hardy leads FBS history in catches for a career at 358. His top end speed isn't mind-blowing (4.49 40) but his routes, quickness, and hands are as good as any prospect in the draft. He has a highlight reel of amazing catches and has a boat load of career TDs. He could be a steal in the second round and compares favorably to what Crabtree was coming out of college. He is an accomplished punt/kick returner, and projects as a solid slot receiver with size and physicality.

Carden has an amazing list of feats, as he has set school records in most passing categories at ECU, passing Jeff Blake and David Garrard. He is highly efficient and a great athlete. His arm strength is good but not great, and his reads and anticipation are exceptional. He is deadly in the redzone and has an amazing knack for exploiting matchups. Probably a round 3 prospect, he needs time to convert to a traditional NFL offense, but has potential to be a great backup immediately, with the upside for a lot more. He is comparable to a player like Colt McCoy.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Highlight Tape

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Career Stats After 4 Seasons

376 Receptions
11,7 Yards Per Reception
4381 Yards
34 Touchdowns

2013 Punt Return Stats

20 Returns
11,3 Yards Per Return
225 Yards
He is a nice comparison to Crabtree. He attacks the ball with his hands at the highest point and is very physical and willing to block. I think at the end of the 2nd he would be a good pick but anywhere in rounds 3 and later he would be a steal.
He's a good player. Kind of grade him in that late 2nd, early 3rd round range right now.
Carden effin sucks
Can't say I think much of Carden, but Hardy looks like a good one. I'd put him in the 3rd rd. His WR teammate Sr. Cam Worthy (#9) also made an impression. He seems to be very overlooked around the draft world.
OMG, I love seeing a thread on these two guys! I'm an ECU alum and live in Greenville, NC so I've seen all of their home games. Love these guys and have watched and supported them for years! If either were to come to the Niners, I'd immediately buy their jerseys!

Homerooms aside, I don't know how they'd translate into the NFL. Before Hardy, we had Dwayne Harris balling for us and he hasn't done too much for the Cowboys and is currently their kick returner. I see Carden being drafted a little later in the draft and I'd love for us to pick him up late. Let him complete for our backup spot and see how we can groom him for the future.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Carden effin sucks

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Can't say I think much of Carden, but Hardy looks like a good one. I'd put him in the 3rd rd. His WR teammate Sr. Cam Worthy (#9) also made an impression. He seems to be very overlooked around the draft world.

pull up the tape on his game @VT or home vs. UNC and your opinion will change. He will go in the top 100 picks.

Originally posted by Sims84:
He is a nice comparison to Crabtree. He attacks the ball with his hands at the highest point and is very physical and willing to block. I think at the end of the 2nd he would be a good pick but anywhere in rounds 3 and later he would be a steal.

He's a 3rd down machine, willing blocker, and has outstanding hands. He also routinely makes very difficult catches. His highlight reel is just amazing.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's a good player. Kind of grade him in that late 2nd, early 3rd round range right now.

What is it that keeps him from late first-early second? He's no project like most of the WRs in the draft. He comes NFL ready.

Originally posted by 49Hounds:
OMG, I love seeing a thread on these two guys! I'm an ECU alum and live in Greenville, NC so I've seen all of their home games. Love these guys and have watched and supported them for years! If either were to come to the Niners, I'd immediately buy their jerseys!

Homerooms aside, I don't know how they'd translate into the NFL. Before Hardy, we had Dwayne Harris balling for us and he hasn't done too much for the Cowboys and is currently their kick returner. I see Carden being drafted a little later in the draft and I'd love for us to pick him up late. Let him complete for our backup spot and see how we can groom him for the future.

I was born and raised in Greenville and have strong ECU ties. Ruffin McNeil has done an amazing job with the team. Go Pirates!
[ Edited by theninermaniac on May 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM ]
Can he beat the press and how is his route running?

Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:

Watch these highlights and decide for yourself.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
End of the 6th round at best for Carden. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be too disappointed if Baalke drafted him, just don't over draft him.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:

Watch these highlights and decide for yourself.
Justin Hardy is a STUD, would`nt mind having Him and Lockett that would bea very Nice Duo for the future.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
End of the 6th round at best for Carden. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be too disappointed if Baalke drafted him, just don't over draft him.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. While it may take a year or two to transition into a NFL system, his skills as a passer and QB are well documented with an abundance of film. I grade him in the top 5 at his position, and one should assume that he will be gone by the end of the 4th round, if not earlier.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Senior Bowl Day 1

The FBS career receptions leader was one of a number of players scouts had their eye on to see how they would do against top-flight competition and the former Pirates star flashed enough to land on this list.

He checked in at a smallish 5-foot-10, 190 pounds at weight in but played bigger than his size during one-on-ones and the team periods to turn a few heads.

More than anything, he was clean out of his breaks and was able to haul in just about everything in his radius despite average quarterback play. Just about every analyst brought up Hardy having a good day after practice.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone