LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Early Mock

My goal in this draft was to address the playmakers mainly on our offense since this is where we are having the most issues this year. I also believe the depth and coaching on defense will be able to mold later picks more effectively. Re-sign Wilhoite, Skuta, Cully.

1. Sammie Coates WR Auburn (6'2" 201lbs)- A Speedy WR, that can actually block too! He would give our team a playmaker that would compliment our current receivers as well as work in our run heavy system.

2. Tevin Coleman RB Indiana (6'1" 210lbs)- A home run threat RB who would be the Lightning to Hyde's Thunder. Hunter has been injury prone and I'm not certain we'll be able to have the luxury of Gore being productive much longer after this year if we end up re-signing him.

3. Grady Jarrett DT Clemson (6'1" 295lbs)- The D Line version of Chris Borland. He is always around the ball with incredible football instincts. As with Borland, the knock on him is his size, but he also has good bloodlines being the son of a former football player. He was also mentored by Ray Lewis. He could back up multiple spots on the D line and has the intense focus for the game you want to see out of a draft pick.

Let me know what you think!
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM ]
Replace Coates with Parker or White (even if it means trading up) and this is golden. I do think Coates will slip to the second or maybe even third round, if we got him there then I'm all for him
Looks good to me
We might need a guard and potential CB as well if we can't resign Culliver.

If gore retires we will need to draft another RB but if he comes back for 1 more year then I think we pass at RB in the 1st 3 rounds.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Replace Coates with Parker or White (even if it means trading up) and this is golden. I do think Coates will slip to the second or maybe even third round, if we got him there then I'm all for him

Agreed. Coates wasn't even the best WR on his own team during the first half of this season. Duke Williams was the better receiver on that team. Next two picks are OK.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

If gore retires we will need to draft another RB but if he comes back for 1 more year then I think we pass at RB in the 1st 3 rounds.

We have Acker and Reiser? waiting in the wings sooooothe cupboard is not bare.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

We have Acker and Reiser? waiting in the wings sooooothe cupboard is not bare.
We haven't seen either play a down. They are both coming off injuries. I don't know if we can count on them and if they don't do the job as rooks we would be dangerously thin at CB. Hopefully Culliver resigns and he and Brock can start with Dontae Johnson rotating in and Reaser and Acker can compete to be depth for their 1st season.
I think you have not looked at the history of the Niners drafting WR's in round 1. Boldin and Stevie Johnson are still under contract for 2015 and will be the starters. Ellington will be the #3, Quinton Patton hopefully number 4 and Derek Carrier can play line up as a WR. So a first round pick on WR would not help in2015.

A RB in round 2, uh I think Carlos Hyde is the starter, they have Kendall Hunter back with a one year extension. Plenty of RB's can be had in round 5-7 or FA. Why would you spend so much on a RB when one can be had in FA for peanuts.......

Round 3 DL- this is a possibility. However with Smith, McDonald, Dorsey, Williams, Carradine, Dial all under contract for 2015, would the person even be active on game day??

As the Niners make a play off push I strongly hope the following players get some reps, so the team can figure out if they are part of the future.

Tank Carradine- 2nd round pick on him. He was supposed to be Cowboys replacement, and the person who rotates with Smith. Tony Jerod Ellie has done that role, but his contract is up, and Carradine has a higher ceiling. Rotate him in more snaps, one needs to know can he play.

Quinton Patton- I think he can do it, just like I thought Ricardo Lockette could do it. He needs reps.

Vance McDonald- hated this pick at TE, but with Vernon obviously still hurting with a bad back, McDonald needs to step up and be the pass catchiong TE he was drafted to be.

Cory Lemonoir- With Brooks being release (in my opinion) due to high salary, can he be the OLB that is the 3 or 4?? Skuta is a FA, but hopefully re signs.

Blaine Gabbert- I doubt it will happen, but if the niners have a game won, I would like to see Gabbert hit the field and see how he is in a regular season game. Is he worth re signing for the right price or is qb a priority.??
We haven't seen either play a down. They are both coming off injuries. I don't know if we can count on them and if they don't do the job as rooks we would be dangerously thin at CB. Hopefully Culliver resigns and he and Brock can start with Dontae Johnson rotating in and Reaser and Acker can compete to be depth for their 1st season.

Hopefully (our best CB) Cox re-signs as well.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think you have not looked at the history of the Niners drafting WR's in round 1. Boldin and Stevie Johnson are still under contract for 2015 and will be the starters. Ellington will be the #3, Quinton Patton hopefully number 4 and Derek Carrier can play line up as a WR. So a first round pick on WR would not help in2015.

A RB in round 2, uh I think Carlos Hyde is the starter, they have Kendall Hunter back with a one year extension. Plenty of RB's can be had in round 5-7 or FA. Why would you spend so much on a RB when one can be had in FA for peanuts.......

Round 3 DL- this is a possibility. However with Smith, McDonald, Dorsey, Williams, Carradine, Dial all under contract for 2015, would the person even be active on game day??

As the Niners make a play off push I strongly hope the following players get some reps, so the team can figure out if they are part of the future.

Tank Carradine- 2nd round pick on him. He was supposed to be Cowboys replacement, and the person who rotates with Smith. Tony Jerod Ellie has done that role, but his contract is up, and Carradine has a higher ceiling. Rotate him in more snaps, one needs to know can he play.

Quinton Patton- I think he can do it, just like I thought Ricardo Lockette could do it. He needs reps.

Vance McDonald- hated this pick at TE, but with Vernon obviously still hurting with a bad back, McDonald needs to step up and be the pass catchiong TE he was drafted to be.

Cory Lemonoir- With Brooks being release (in my opinion) due to high salary, can he be the OLB that is the 3 or 4?? Skuta is a FA, but hopefully re signs.

Blaine Gabbert- I doubt it will happen, but if the niners have a game won, I would like to see Gabbert hit the field and see how he is in a regular season game. Is he worth re signing for the right price or is qb a priority.??

So tell us about the history of the 49ers drafting receivers in the first round. Don't forget to give it perspective by showing general results for 1st round receivers.

Originally posted by English:

So tell us about the history of the 49ers drafting receivers in the first round. Don't forget to give it perspective by showing general results for 1st round receivers.

The out of the park home run.

Jerry Rice-

Tryying to reinvent the Rice moments the team drafted

1. JJ Stokes, traded up to grab him. Could not beat out 3rd round pick from same year Terrel Owens.

2. Rashaun Woods- Proof that college productivity does not equal pros. No stats because he sucked.

3. AJ Jenkins- supposed to be the deep threat for CK7- Never made an impact, traded to KC where has minimal impact.

WR is one of the toughest positions to evaluate for the NFL draft. That is why I would rather draft receivers in rounds 2 and 3. Every year round 2 and 3WR's seem to do well. (jordy Nelson, Keenan Allen, etc.
Originally posted by English:

Jerry Rice-

1. JJ Stokes, traded up to grab him. Could not beat out 3rd round pick from same year Terrel Owens.

2. Rashaun Woods- Proof that college productivity does not equal pros. No stats because he sucked.

3. AJ Jenkins- supposed to be the deep threat for CK7- Never made an impact, traded to KC where has minimal impact.

WR is one of the toughest positions to evaluate for the NFL draft. That is why I would rather draft receivers in rounds 2 and 3. Every year round 2 and 3WR's seem to do well. (jordy Nelson, Keenan Allen, etc.

JJ was taken in 95 and T.O. 96, just sayin.

Jerry Rice-

Thank you. And that is my point. There isn't a history. A couple of events over a period of 30 years doesn't create a pattern. But it is fair to say, taking a receiver in the first round is a high risk high reward occupation

Thomas and Looney can take over at guard, SF will most likely sign Cox or Culliver, so I think things are set there (maybe grab for depth).

They need to focus on play makers. Crabs is most likely gone, Boldin will have one more year, Gore maybe get's another year.

I agree with your overall point of assessing the team position by position.

At QB, I think Gabbert can be had on a one-year deal for vet minimum with no guaranteed money. He can be retained to compete with a rookie QB and UDFA. Perhaps the 49ers will sign another free agent QB under a similar deal. However with Kap's development over four seasons, I'm beginning to believe this staff may be incapable of developing a QB. We haven't truly seen it yet. All I'm expecting is a guy that is safe (won't turn the ball over), won't get rattled under pressure, and can keep the offense going.

At running back we have Carlos Hyde and Kendall Hunter. As for Frank Gore, he wants to continue playing and I'd like for him to retire as a 49er. He has already stated he is willing to play for another team. What the team should do in my opinion is really based on what how long Frank wants to play. If he only wants to play another year, then by all means, sign him. If he has visions of going beyond 2015, then we are going to have to do the painful thing and part company in the offseason. It will hurt, but we've been here before with letting great players go. Kendall Hunter is a capable backup and I think Carlos Hyde can do better with more carries.

We seem to be solid at receiver with Johnson and Boldin as starters, and Ellington and Patton. We have a decent core group.

At offensive line, I think we are much better than what we have shown. Give us some consistency and health and I think this group performs better.

On defense, we could have some holes at corner depending on what happens in free agency. I'm hoping that somehow we retain Cox and Culliver which will give us a lot of flexibiity at corner. We'd essentially have four guys that can start (Brock, Culliver, Cox, and Johnson), not to mention Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker will be in the mix next season.

Nothing needs to be said at linebacker and defensive line. We are strong all across the board at those positions and have good depth, which brings me to the draft.

You questioned many of the original posters draft picks, but where would you suggest we go? Avoiding receiver in the first round just because of past history and no RB in the second because we have Hyde and Hunter, so where should the 49ers go with those picks?

Even though any receiver we draft isn't likely to get playing time, we have to keep in mind Anquan Boldin's contract expires after next season and he will be 35 years old. We need to have another receiver in the mix that can potentially start. There will be plenty of receivers that we can look at. I'm hoping that we draft two, just as I did last season. I wanted Jordan Matthews and Robert Herron. This year, I'll go with Jalen Strong if he falls to us and Phillip Dorsett ( a necessary deep threat). We can pick up Strong in the first and Dorsett as a late pick. I can't agree with the idea that we should avoid a first round receiver simply because of a few bad picks. Most people knew AJ was a bad pick the moment it happened. Rashaun Woods was as well (who didn't want Vince Wilfork at the time?). The JJ Stokes pick was a gamble, which I can understand. I think history has taught us that trading a boatload of picks for a first round receiver is NOT worth it. Even if Stokes lived up to his potential, receivers rarely turn a team around. I'd be ok with packaging A third or fourth with our first to move up and take a receiver in the late teens or twenties, but that's about it. Nonetheless, we need to prepare for some holes we will have at receiver in the future.

I think we do need to take a back because even though I like Carlos Hyde, we don't know for certain if he can be the guy just yet. There are also some exceptional backs that are likely to be available in the second. Ameer Abdullah, Duke Johnson, and possibly Melvin Gordon though I don't think he will fall to the bottom of the second. I think if the 49ers have the chance to take any of them, especially Gordon, they should do it. It's clear the 49ers are open to having the three headed monster when we were set to roll with Lattimore, Hyde, and LaMichael James or Kendall Hunter long term. I expect that Hunter will do well next season and will move on the following year.

In the third round, I'm thinking we may need to look at a TE. I don't know what Vernon Davis's deal is and as much as I like Vance McDonald, we need a guy that is a natural pass catcher.

It seems like a pretty flashy draft, going for skill positions with the first three picks, but we need to get younger, cheaper, and with some playmakers at those positions.
Share 49ersWebzone