LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

Pre-Turkey Day Mock

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I might be in the minority here, but I don't think we need any new interior lineman. We have starters and he have depth. Even if we lose Mike Iupati in free agency, I am not worried about replacing him. It seems that Baalke is well prepared. We have Joe Looney, Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Marin, and Brandon Thomas to compete for two positions on the O-line. .

Um I must be missing it. Interior line is 3 positions.

I pretty much have Boone penciled in as starting RG, with C and LG up for grabs in training camp.
I might be in the minority here, but I don't think we need any new interior lineman. We have starters and he have depth. Even if we lose Mike Iupati in free agency, I am not worried about replacing him. It seems that Baalke is well prepared. We have Joe Looney, Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Marin, and Brandon Thomas to compete for two positions on the O-line. .

I pretty much have Boone penciled in as starting RG, with C and LG up for grabs in training camp.

Ah gotcha!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Ah gotcha!

But here's the thing I don't think anyone is recognizing...Boone, Looney, and J. Martin are free agents after 2015. And Brandon Thomas is coming back from a very serious injury. So that's 4 players with question marks around them. Don't underestimate the need for blue chip O-line prospects, especially with all the injuries we've seen this year with A. Davis and Kilgore.

Is Drango a sure fire pick to start day 1? Not a guarantee, but he does improve our pass blocking at the LG position. And he's a perfectionist in practice - he'll make Solari and Roman very happy. But what draft pick would be a day 1 starter with our stacked team?
Originally posted by GEEK:

Ah gotcha!

But here's the thing I don't think anyone is recognizing...Boone, Looney, and J. Martin are free agents after 2015. And Brandon Thomas is coming back from a very serious injury. So that's 4 players with question marks around them. Don't underestimate the need for blue chip O-line prospects, especially with all the injuries we've seen this year with A. Davis and Kilgore.

Is Drango a sure fire pick to start day 1? Not a guarantee, but he does improve our pass blocking at the LG position. And he's a perfectionist in practice - he'll make Solari and Roman very happy. But what draft pick would be a day 1 starter with our stacked team?
want have too worry about making Roman happy......................he'll be history and you can take that to the bank.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
With so many young players on the squad developing thsi might be a trade up kinda year not trade down. We have youth at almost every position on the team developing.

This is a really interesting point. We had a huge influx of youth in the last draft. Unless we start cutting our hardcore vets there simply isn't room on the roster for a repeat of last year's BPA draft. As far as you can assess at the moment most if not all of the draft (ie about 20% of the regular season roster!) are fixtures, at least for now. And the rest of the roster is not particularly old, with a few exceptions.

Additionally Baalke doesn't seem to ba able to resist one or two offseason flutters, along the lines of Boldin, Johnson, Bethea etc.

With this in mind I find it hard to believe that we will trade down. If I was him I would target 3 impact players, maybe 2, and not worry about quantity. I think he can pick up O linemen, particularly interior, through FA. So knowing I will be wrong (!) I suggest a series of trade ups culminating in a mid 1st round, an early 2nd and a mid second. These to be invested in BPA impact players, possibly a wide receiver first, DT second and a QB third.

I think we have most other positions covered with young players already although we may need to use a 7th on a kicker. The QB, to be clear, is not intended to replace Kaepernick but to complete and to be ready to step in if needed. I haven't seen Gabbert for some time but we look worryingly thin behind Kaepernick to me.

So what I would tell you is the approach should be getting good players for the right value - and Baalke excels at that approach. Look at players like Bruce Miller, Aaron Lynch, Daniel Kilgore, Carlos Hyde, Chris Borland, and Donte Johnson.

I know people want to trade up for that blue chip WR prospect. And after Amari Cooper, everyone else falls in that tier 2/3 bracket. To me, I see value trading down and getting a good prospect for the right value.

In addition, we don't have the same number of picks as we need coming into last year's draft. So the # isn't going to be close to that size.

Finally, it's more about "iron sharpens iron" rather than getting an influx of talent. I want an upgrade to Craig Dahl. I want an upgrade to Josh Johnson. I want an upgrade to McCray. I want an upgrade to Lemonier.

The beauty of drafting Borland (not a need pick - we had Wilhoite and Moody), D. Johnson (not a need pick - we already drafted Ward and had Culliver coming back healthy), and A. Lynch (not a need pick - we had Skuta and Lemonier) is that when injuries occur or if the starter's performance declines, you have a lower drop off in performance (or in many cases, an upgrade) vs. maintaining the status quo.
Originally posted by matt49er:
49ers Offseason �€"

Cut �€"
Ahmad Brooks �€" DE/OLB
Craig Dahl �€" DB/S

Restructure/Extend �€"
Colin Kaepernick �€" QB
Stevie Johnson �€" WR
Aldon Smith �€" DE/OLB
Jonathan Martin - OT

Resign �€"
Dan Skuta �€" OLB
Perrish Cox �€" CB
Michael Wilhoite �€" ILB
Blaine Gabbert �€" QB
Kyle Nelson �€" LS
Tony Jerod-Eddie - DL

Free Agency �€"
Nate Washington �€" WR �€" Titans (3 year, $13.5M deal)

Trade �€"
49ers trade Corey Lemonier �€" OLB for Buccaneers Doug Martin - RB

NFL Draft �€"
49ers trade down from 1st round pick (including 5th round pick) for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks

R2: Spencer Drango �€" OT/OG �€" Baylor (via trade)
*Bad O-line = bad offense. Good O-line = less bad offense. Drango might not be at the same level at Iupati from a run blocking standpoint, but Drango will be a significant upgrade in the passing game �€" a direction that Harbaugh and Roman eventually want to go. Drango has fantastic polish to his game, and would mesh well with our scheme. He also has the added benefit of sliding to LT in a pinch if anything happens to Staley.

R2: Ty Montgomery �€" WR �€" Stanford
*If the 49ers want to bank on getting the �€œright guy�€ for their offense to pan out, you might as well go to Harbaugh�€™s former employer. A few things to like about Montgomery �€" good size and speed, able run blocker, familiar with Harbaugh�€™s scheme, and contributor to special teams �€" returner or gunner. He needs to work on route running skills �€" but that�€™s what our coaches get paid to do�€ï¿½

R3: Eric Rowe �€" CB/S �€" Utah (via trade)
*If the current season taught us anything, it�€™s that you need continued strong depth across the board. Rowe has great size and has a knack to make plays on the ball. Similar background to Culliver �€" and with Culliver leaving in free agency, Rowe is a natural replacement. And best yet�€ï¿½Rowe and Ward can flex to Safety.

R3: Preston Smith �€" DE/DT/LB �€" Mississippi State
*Hyper productive player at 6-5 270 LBs that can rush the passer and cover a bit. He could eventually evolve into a 3-4 DE, but throw him in the 4-2-5 scheme and he can play in any position. He will definitely contribute on special teams and beef up the blocking.

R4: Brand Bridge �€" QB �€" South Alabama (via Broncos)
*Mini-Kaepernick to develop as our backup QB of the future.

R5: Ronald Martin �€" S �€" LSU
*Impressive senior year with game clinching INTs and pass breakups. Natural strong safety and special teams contributor. Played like a 3rd rounder, but physical limitations drop here to the late 5th round.

R6: Matt Miller �€" WR �€" Boise State
*Injured ankle pre-maturely ended his college career�€ï¿½which means�€ï¿½BAALKE TIME!!! 6-3 220+ receiver with great hands and route running skills. May be a redshirt guy in his first year.

R7: Marcus Murphy �€" RB/WR/KR/PR �€" LSU
*A gadget guy that can be a (very) poor man�€™s McCluster. Insurance policy for Kendall Hunter and Doug Martin.

Depth Chart �€"

QB: Kaepernick/Gabbert/Bridge*
RB: Hyde/Martin*/Hunter/Millard*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Carrier

WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: S. Johnson/Ellington
WR: Washington*/Montgomery*

LT: Staley
LG: Drango*/Thomas*
C: Martin/Kilgore
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis/Martin

LE: J. Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/ Williams
RE: McDonald/Dial/Jerod-Eddie

OLB: A. Smith/Skuta
ILB: Willis/Borland
ILB: Bowman/Wilhoite
OLB: Lynch/P. Smith*

CB: Brock/D. Johnson
CB: Cox/Rowe*/Reaser*
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Martin*

ST: Dawson, Lee, Nelson

I don't see us drafting a LG in the 1st round, we've been preparing for Iupati's exit with drafting a ton of interior OL lately. Kilgore was awesome this year and MM looks good so far. I'm betting next year one of them plays C and the other probably plays LG with Thomas grooming to take over for Boone after next year at RG. I also really would like to see us bring Culliver back, he's playing really well, overshadowed by Cox but he's still playing great football. We won't be bringing Wilholte back with Willis/Bowman returning and Borland playing out of his mind, we'll draft somebody in the later rounds that will be cheaper. Nitpicking here, but isn't Millard a FB/TE not a HB?

I would start Kilgore over Martin. Marcus has been good all things considered, but when Daniel was in there we didn't have him coming out of his stance high or throwing in a bad snap here and there.
As long as we add another good layer of talent to who we already have I'm good with whomever Baalke takes.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
No mention in signing our #1 CB in Culliver? I'm certain he will stay over Cox. Cox has had a good year but he is not a starter capable of shutting down top receivers, he is a good slot CB but that is what we drafted Ward for.

Have you been watching the games this season. Neither of them are shut down corners but Cox has done a great job and should be re signed.
I'd take my chances on getting a RB in teh draft vs trading for Martin. eh's already broke down
trade for doug martin? lol
lemonier for martin

Ah gotcha!

I don't think Joe Looney will be that hard to extend. Neither will Jonathan Martin. We may need to add more players for the interior of our line, but I don't think we need to add a high draft pick just yet. I'm hoping for an offensive heavy draft with our early picks. WR, RB, and TE. We have a need for top end speed at WR, need a RB (again lol) with the retirement of Marcus Lattimore, and TE may be up there considering we don't know what will become of Vernon Davis and though I support McDonald, we need a guy that can catch and be a security blanket.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If the 9ers draft a Guard early, my hopeful pick is Jarvis Harrison, dude is a beast, mauler and also has started at LT. So the experience along the O-line is there, and that's exactly what Baalke seems to look for in his O-lineman.

BUT!!!!!!!!, I don't think the 9ers take an O-lineman in the 1st or 2nd with Jonathan Martin, Daniel Kilgore and Dillon Farrell back there for depth. Well actually it also depends on Iupati re-signing, which I think get's done IMO.

I still think that the 9ers go either D-line or CB in the 1st, Chris Culliver's inconsistencies are there and he needs some competition.
Nate Washington? He's 31 and he sucks. Let's pass on Nate Washington.
Share 49ersWebzone