40-yard 4.50 - 4.70
10-yard 1.66
Vertical 38 1/2
Broad 10´02
Shuttle 4.48
3-cone drill 6.98
Bench press 17 reps

2014 Season Drop Rate 8.8 percent

KB has more quick twitch abilities that are conducive to being a wr but I think like Benjamin people are nitpicking his game and overlooking how Funchess will use his size and athleticism to make a immediate impact in the NFL. Someone is the late 1st /early 2nd is going to take a chance with this kid.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Kelvin Benjamin Florida State

Height 6-5
Weight 240
40-yard 4.61
10-yard 1.67
Vertical 33
Broad 9´11
Shuttle 4.49
3-cone drill 7.33
Bench press 13 reps

2013 Season Drop Rate 9.68 percent

Devin Funchess Michigan

Height 6-4
Weight 232
40-yard 4.50 - 4.70
10-yard 1.66
Vertical 38 1/2
Broad 10´02
Shuttle 4.48
3-cone drill 6.98
Bench press 17 reps

Benjamin and Mike Evans have unique height/length for the WR position. There are a lot of 6'5 WR's, but not a lot that have 35" arms. Funchess doesn't have that unique size. He's 6'4 with 33 1/2" arms. Benjamin and Evans' length allows them to play more like they're 6'6 or taller. So yes, they have similar speed and hands, but Benjamin is bigger with a much bigger catch radius and made an immediate impact as a jump ball threat where he has a huge advantage over Funchess. There are no real physical comparisons to Benjamin and Evans in terms of size this year and that's not really surprising because I can't think of any WR's before them who combined their height and length. Funchess should go in the 2nd round and concerns about his speed are overstated, but he shouldn't be compared to Benjamin or Evans.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Kelvin Benjamin Florida State

Height 6-5
Weight 240
40-yard 4.61
10-yard 1.67
Vertical 33
Broad 9´11
Shuttle 4.49
3-cone drill 7.33
Bench press 13 reps

2013 Season Drop Rate 9.68 percent

Devin Funchess Michigan

Height 6-4
Weight 232
40-yard 4.50 - 4.70
10-yard 1.66
Vertical 38 1/2
Broad 10´02
Shuttle 4.48
3-cone drill 6.98
Bench press 17 reps

Benjamin and Mike Evans have unique height/length for the WR position. There are a lot of 6'5 WR's, but not a lot that have 35" arms. Funchess doesn't have that unique size. He's 6'4 with 33 1/2" arms. Benjamin and Evans' length allows them to play more like they're 6'6 or taller. So yes, they have similar speed and hands, but Benjamin is bigger with a much bigger catch radius and made an immediate impact as a jump ball threat where he has a huge advantage over Funchess. There are no real physical comparisons to Benjamin and Evans in terms of size this year and that's not really surprising because I can't think of any WR's before them who combined their height and length. Funchess should go in the 2nd round and concerns about his speed are overstated, but he shouldn't be compared to Benjamin or Evans.
I want you to go to your drawer and get a ruler and add 1 inch to your height and 1 and 3/8 inches to your arms. Thats not how the nfl works and it will not effect who is better at catching jump balls. BUUUUT if you insist on nitpicking inches on limbs and ignore vert numbers that seems silly.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:18 PM ]
There's no reason this guy shouldn't be a first-round pick. 30-year-old Greg Olsen had 1,000 yards receiving this year; I'm sure Funchess is significantly faster / quicker than Olsen at this point. And Funchess makes excellent cuts, is extremely flexible & coordinated & has great hands. He's on the smaller side, but the dude is only 20 years old; he'll get bigger. If the Niners don't trade up for Leonard Wililams, I would be more than happy if they traded out of the first round completely, picked up an extra pick(s) next year & drafted Funchess.
Devin Funchess catchin' balls in bunchess.
Makin' defensive coaches lose their lunchess.
Hurts your D like heavy punchess.
Eatin' up passes like at brunchess.

Mind you, he didn't really have a qb like other wide receivers. I think that's very important to mention.. Why? Because if you study him, he has a lot of catches where he had to adjust mid air for the ball or to avoid big hit. You just can't teach that.. Gardner and shoelace weren't the best QB for a wr...
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 17, 2015 at 6:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Mind you, he didn't really have a qb like other wide receivers. I think that's very important to mention.. Why? Because if you study him, he has a lot of catches where he had to adjust mid air for the ball or to avoid big hit. You just can't teach that.. Gardner and shoelace weren't the best QB for a wr...

Yep. And that kind of flexibility & those kinds of ball skills are pretty rare.
Originally posted by natrone06:
I want you to go to your drawer and get a ruler and add 1 inch to your height and 1 and 3/8 inches to your arms. Thats not how the nfl works and it will not effect who is better at catching jump balls. BUUUUT if you insist on nitpicking inches on limbs and ignore vert numbers that seems silly.

1 3/8" added to each arm is a pretty big difference. You're a moron if you don't think height and length impacts jump balls at all which is what you just stated. You may want to revisit your last sentence, because it looks like it was written by a 2nd grader. I was pointing out that both you and DeUh did not mention the significant difference in length between KB and Devin Funchess, and I didn't feel a need to re-post that KB's vertical was 33" while Funchess's vertical was 38 1/2" when that means very little. Vertical jump numbers have way less impact on jump ball ability in football than height or length. Guys don't jump the same in pads or in game situations where they have to get their feet in bounds or adjust to throws. Only standing jump is measured at the combine and some athletes have identical standing and running verticals while others have a huge difference between them. Both KB and Mike Evans also have bigger hands and were better jump ball receivers in college.

I'm not saying that Funchess can't be a good jump ball receiver in the NFL, but he doesn't have the same size advantage that Evans and Benjamin enjoy and he never caught more than 6 TD's in a season in college. Some of that is on the QB, but Jeremy Gallon put up 1370 yards and 9 TD's in 2013 with the same QB and can't find a spot in the NFL. I've advocated for him in the past using the bad QB argument, but he shouldn't be taken in the first round. There should be 6-8 receivers taken ahead of him.

If you think he goes first round, do you think he is taken ahead of DGB, Perriman, or Strong (assuming Cooper, White, and Parker are long gone)? It's unlikely that 7 receivers are taken in the first round and I don't even think he'll go before Devin Smith or Nelson Agholor.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
There's no reason this guy shouldn't be a first-round pick. 30-year-old Greg Olsen had 1,000 yards receiving this year; I'm sure Funchess is significantly faster / quicker than Olsen at this point. And Funchess makes excellent cuts, is extremely flexible & coordinated & has great hands. He's on the smaller side, but the dude is only 20 years old; he'll get bigger. If the Niners don't trade up for Leonard Wililams, I would be more than happy if they traded out of the first round completely, picked up an extra pick(s) next year & drafted Funchess.

Greg Olsen came into the league at 6'6 254 with 4.55 speed and it took him a long time to develop. So yes, Funchess is probably much faster and quicker than Olsen is now, but he's not faster/quicker than Olsen was as a rookie when Olsen struggled. You could also say that every WR coming into the league is faster/quicker than Anquan Boldin, but they aren't all going to put up 1000 yards as rookies. It makes no sense to compare rookies to veterans as if they have identical skill sets. Funchess may lose some speed if he bulks up to play TE and I'm not sure he likes blocking enough to make the transition.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, that's the big question on Funchess if he's converted to a TE, is he willing to be a blocker?
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Greg Olsen came into the league at 6'6 254 with 4.55 speed and it took him a long time to develop. So yes, Funchess is probably much faster and quicker than Olsen is now, but he's not faster/quicker than Olsen was as a rookie when Olsen struggled. You could also say that every WR coming into the league is faster/quicker than Anquan Boldin, but they aren't all going to put up 1000 yards as rookies. It makes no sense to compare rookies to veterans as if they have identical skill sets. Funchess may lose some speed if he bulks up to play TE and I'm not sure he likes blocking enough to make the transition.

You may be right. He might lose some speed, and he might never be a good blocker. Time will tell. My point in comparing him to another tall, talented TE like Olsen is to say that I'm not the least bit concerned with Funchess' speed or lack thereof. He uses his body well & makes great cuts. He might not beat safeties deep down the seam like Vernon used to, but I think he's going to be a heck of a weapon on offense.
You guys make some good points. I think Devin is turning 21 next month. Im not trying to be a homer but I believe this kid could be a major factor in the NFL. He has a lot of work to do but I'm rooting for him.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/17/8398675/2015-nfl-draft-devin-funchess-breakdown

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2426172-2015-atlanta-falcons-potential-draft-pick-profile-wrte-devin-funchess
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 18, 2015 at 12:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
You guys make some good points. I think Devin is turning 21 next month. Im not trying to be a homer but I believe this kid could be a major factor in the NFL. He has a lot of work to do but I'm rooting for him.

He has a lot of work to do developing as a blocker, but he's a pretty polished route runner / ball catcher IMO. First round talent. If he's still on the board in the 2nd round, a lot of teams made a big mistake IMO.
I love Funchess but as a TE only. He just strikes me more as a TE. I think he does most of his damage as a TE and red zone target that you can split out wide and create mismatches. As a wide out I think he's a average to below average WR in the NFL. Physically I don't like his route running and I don't think he plays as fast as his best 40 time. We get a lot of Michigan games here in the Bay and I have seen him a lot. I have seen him play both positions in college and IMO I just think his higher ceiling is at TE. With that being said if he's still on the board in the second round or the 49ers could trade for another second round pick and somehow grab him that would be great. Especially if you have concerns about McDonald and you want to let Davis walk after this year. If he can block like an average TE or better you can also play those two TE sets this year with him and Davis on the field at the same time. Put Bush in the slot with Torrey on the outside and line Ellington up in the backfield teams wouldn't know what to do. Interesting set IMO dangerous.
[ Edited by IHATELOWELLCOHN on Apr 18, 2015 at 1:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone