LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech

smelter--your damn right I smelter
Originally posted by hofer36:
played baseball--had a 95 mph fastball

GREAT! I hope SF signs him, he could be a great part of the rotation behind MadBum, Cain, and the rest! Imagine if they could also sign Kaep... What a bullpen! Oh, wait this is for the Niners... In THAT case, it doesn't matter if we draft this kid or any other stud WR, Roman won't know how to use them and WR coach John Morton won't be able to coach them up anyway.
Originally posted by hofer36:
played baseball--had a 95 mph fastball
Sorry, double post
[ Edited by Juggernaut49erFan on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM ]
Diamond in the rough?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
vs Georgia Southern 2014

Alt. Angle

Alt. Angle
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I think put in the right system he could be the next Pierre Garcon (not sure how to spell last name) but you guys know who.

That is a good comparison.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
GA Tech Fans frequently compare Smelter to Boldin.

- He kinda reminds me of Anquan Boldin. Not super fast, but finds a way to get open, and catches everything thrown his way.

- Reminds me of Boldin for the Niners. Smelter will be similar in that he wont be the fastest but he has such great hands and is so physical plus yards after catch is extremely high... plus we all know he can block his tail off and is a great locker room / team guy...

- I think Boldin is a great comparison. I dont know what Smelters 40 time is right now or what it is going to be come NFL combine time, however, he is effectively fast and hard to cover. He will not most likely be the kind of receiver used to stretch the field at the next level, but he will be a force. He is physical and can move really well in short spaces. He is a really hard guy to jam because he is so strong. He doesnt have any concentration or consistency issues and he doesnt drop the ball.
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
vs Clemson 2014

Originally posted by DeUh:

- He kinda reminds me of Anquan Boldin. Not super fast, but finds a way to get open, and catches everything thrown his way.

- Reminds me of Boldin for the Niners. Smelter will be similar in that he wont be the fastest but he has such great hands and is so physical plus yards after catch is extremely high... plus we all know he can block his tail off and is a great locker room / team guy...

- I think Boldin is a great comparison. I dont know what Smelters 40 time is right now or what it is going to be come NFL combine time, however, he is effectively fast and hard to cover. He will not most likely be the kind of receiver used to stretch the field at the next level, but he will be a force. He is physical and can move really well in short spaces. He is a really hard guy to jam because he is so strong. He doesnt have any concentration or consistency issues and he doesnt drop the ball.
He has been timed at around 4.4 40 ,so He is fast enough to run past most DBs
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Yes he is definitely faster than Boldin. Not elite 4,3 speed but unlike many forty yard dash heroes you see every year his speed actually shows up on tape.

Yes he is definitely faster than Boldin. Not elite 4,3 speed but unlike many forty yard dash heroes you see every year his speed actually shows up on tape.

Yes He Has football speed, and I hope we draft him,we need a Bona-fide playmaker.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
DeAndre Smelter: 2015 NFL Draft Sleeper of the Year?

There are a ton of sleepers in the 2015 NFL Draft class, but Georgia Tech wide receiver DeAndre Smelter might be one of the most slept-on prospects of the group. We enjoy these under the radar guys more than most – and if you are a fan of the receiver Position you will want to keep an eye on Smelter.

With this size, he possesses surprising athleticism and short-area quicks to compete at the next level. He is sneaky fast, showing off quick footwork and a good ability to streak straight downfield.

Smelter shows up big on film with his powerful athleticism. It is one thing to be athletic but only a few players have power combined.

It is tough to spot too many flaws in Smelters game but much of that is due to the limited scheme that Georgia Tech employs. Smelter doesnt get the chance to work with a gunslinger, something to consider when looking at his rather pedestrian numbers.

If he shows up in a big way to finish this year his draft stock could improve tremendously heading into the pre-draft process

http://nflmocks.com/2014/11/07/deandre-smelter-2015-nfl-draft-sleeper-year/
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM ]
Ok the Boldin comparison really makes me want him now
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Yes He Has football speed, and I hope we draft him,we need a Bona-fide playmaker.

This.

Call me crazy but I think he has legit 2nd round talent.

- fires off the los
- clean release
- controlled footwork
- explodes in and out of his breaks
- gets separation on vertical routes
- strong hands
- fantastic hand-eye coordination
- catches the ball at the highest point
- is able to adjust to throws
- plays very physical
- vicious blocker

fires off the line, clean release, controlled footwork