LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Melvin Gordon - RB - Wisconsin

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
SEA offense is pounding teams into the ground simply because they got two explosive threats in the backfield between Russ and Lynch. It is time we match that by drafting this guy if the WR we want doesn't fall to us

My only concern is that the drop off between 1st and 2nd round Rb's is less than the drop off between 1st and 2nd round WR's which would make this move harder to justify. If we could move up in the 2nd round potentially through a trade we could have a bit of both worlds. I.E Gordon in the first and Coates in the early second.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
SEA offense is pounding teams into the ground simply because they got two explosive threats in the backfield between Russ and Lynch. It is time we match that by drafting this guy if the WR we want doesn't fall to us

My only concern is that the drop off between 1st and 2nd round Rb's is less than the drop off between 1st and 2nd round WR's which would make this move harder to justify. If we could move up in the 2nd round potentially through a trade we could have a bit of both worlds. I.E Gordon in the first and Coates in the early second.

Considering the way backs fall lately, I think it's realistic to get a day one starting caliber WR and RB with our original first and second round picks, provided we go receiver 1 and running back 2.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Considering the way backs fall lately, I think it's realistic to get a day one starting caliber WR and RB with our original first and second round picks, provided we go receiver 1 and running back 2.

I guess it comes down to whether we'd rather have something like White and Coleman or Gordon and Coates.
I guess it comes down to whether we'd rather have something like White and Coleman or Gordon and Coates.

White and Coleman
I just feel that Melvin Gordon is the most explosive player in this draft along with DGB. White will be a very fine WR but Gordon is a home run threat every time he handles the rock. Now you pair him in the backfield with Kap behind our OL with Bruce Miller blocking. We will lead the league in rushing yards and play action will be lethal with a little imagination ALA Kyle Shanahan we can be a top 10 offense again. SEA is going to repeat in part because of Russell and Lynch being so dominant in tandem. We can match that with this pick. We can get a speed WR round two but there is only one Melvin Gordon this draft. No WR is a homerun threat like this guy but DGB comes closest to being Dez Bryant. We winning with class now so we won't pick him though
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Dec 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM ]
There is no way this guy ends up on our roster. I'd love it, but it won't happen. We are too high in the 1st, and too low in the 2nd.
If we take a player like Gordon it would mean the end of the Franklin Delano Gore era.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Get it done.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
If we take a player like Gordon it would mean the end of the Franklin Delano Gore era.
It would mean the beginning of the Hyde S Truman and Melvin D Gordonhower era.

I don't think it would necessarily have to mean no Gore on the team. We need 4 running backs on the team, look how thin we are at the position to end the season. We essentially have Gore/Hyde/Hunter and will certainly add a draft pick. He would have to make his salary fit.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I don't think it would necessarily have to mean no Gore on the team. We need 4 running backs on the team, look how thin we are at the position to end the season. We essentially have Gore/Hyde/Hunter and will certainly add a draft pick. He would have to make his salary fit.

Gore could have less carries and help groom the young RBs (not sure whether he will be happy to do that though).

Wow, just imagine Hyde/Gordon/Gore !! That would be some force to be reckoned with.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I really like Melvin Gordon, but will he be the next Darren McFadden?

a talented back who can't put a year together??
Originally posted by 9moon:
I really like Melvin Gordon, but will he be the next Darren McFadden?

a talented back who can't put a year together??

He's built better than run DMC, I think a good comparison for him is Jamal Charles. Though he's a better prospect than Charles was coming out of Texas.

As a prospect, I think he's on even footing with Adrian Peterson. Would be so sweet to grab him, I'd trade up for him in a heart beat.
[ Edited by kush on Dec 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM ]
Originally posted by kush:
He's built better than run DMC, I think a good comparison for him is Jamal Charles. Though he's a better prospect than Charles was coming out of Texas.

As a prospect, I think he's on even footing with Adrian Peterson. Would be so sweet to grab him, I'd trade up for him in a heart beat.
I agree. I see an impact RB or player period. I have no doubt he will impact the NFL. We need this type of player to crack the back of SEA defense. No other WR in this class will impact NFL games like Gordon will IMO aside from DGB. We ain't picking DGB at 15 but I would nab Melvin there and then early second DGB if he is there to hell with class. Let the FO be classy buy this team has to beat SEA. You line up Kap in the backfield with Melvin you got two homerun threats. Then you put DGB on the outside with VD at TE you got 2 vertical big play threats with Boldin over the middle and underneath. The right OC we can put up points by the pound even on SEA
There is no way that the 49ers draft this guy. We draft too early to take him in the first, and too late to draft him in the second. Yes, we can move back in the first, but I don't think it would be for a RB. We will likely take a RB in the draft, but we can get great talent to compliment Hyde in the 2nd - 4th round. I invision the 49ers taking a stud DL or WR in the first. Outside of those two positions, I just don't see it.
Share 49ersWebzone