There are 161 users in the forums

Melvin Gordon - RB - Wisconsin

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Rule #1-Draft OL's from Wisconsin

Rule#2-Don't draft RB's from Wisconsin

Kind of early to pass judgement on Gordon. I still think he will be a good running back. Not a great rookie year though.

Running backs are about the one position I'd judge a rookie on. It's pretty much plug and play. There are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Disagree. You shouldn't judge anyone off of one season. Jamaal Charles only ran for 350 yards his rookie year. Gordon was running behind a terrible oline as others have mentioned. He can still be a good back.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Rule #1-Draft OL's from Wisconsin

Rule#2-Don't draft RB's from Wisconsin

Kind of early to pass judgement on Gordon. I still think he will be a good running back. Not a great rookie year though.

Running backs are about the one position I'd judge a rookie on. It's pretty much plug and play. There are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Disagree. You shouldn't judge anyone off of one season. Jamaal Charles only ran for 350 yards his rookie year. Gordon was running behind a terrible oline as others have mentioned. He can still be a good back.

Jamal Charles averaged 5.3 per carry as a rookie. I'm not expecting a 1,000 yard rusher. Again, running back is the most plug and play position in the NFL. Carlos Hyde was running behind a terrible O-line this year and he too, showed a spark. If you want to compare rookie seasons, he looked damn good as a rookie as well. I am not going to write Gordon off, but it doesn't look good.
wow what a bust

Jamaal Charles averaged over 5 yards a carry his rookie year. Gore as a rookie averaged almost 5 yards a carry. Neither of those guys ran behind very good OL's either. Meanwhile Gordon averaged 3.5 yards per carry and didn't show a whole lot in the passing game either.

The worst part is he showed bad ball security and actually got benched because he kept putting the football on the ground. Gordon with only 184 carries still ranks 3rd among all NFL RB's with 6 fumbles.

Only time will tell, but so far he doesn't look like much and seems slated to continue the mostly poor performance of Wisconsin RB's in the NFL.

Emmitt Smith averaged 3.9 yards per carry his rookie year and didn't hit the 1000 yard mark. You don't count guys out after one year.
Emmitt Smith averaged 3.9 yards per carry his rookie year and didn't hit the 1000 yard mark. You don't count guys out after one year.

I'll go out on a limb and say that its far more likely that Gordon winds up more like most Wisconsin RBs that benefitted from a top-end OL in front of them in college,creating massive holes that suddenly arent there anymore in the NFL than him becoming the next Emmitt Smith.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Not counting him out after his first year. But, certainly not counting on him to produce.

What a dumpster fire.
I wouldn't count Melvin out after the first year, considering the injuries that have depleted that team and their coaching staffs absolute dependency on PRivers.

Always playing from behind, and starting rookies on the line tends to negatively affect a rookie RB, Gordon never had a chance this season

2015 pro bowl players
Jamal Charles
350 yards

Justin Forsett
Did not play for 2 years. 114 yards his 3rd season

Alfred Morris
1613 yards, outlier here lol

CJ Anderson
38 yards

Mark Ingram
447 yards

DeMarco Murray