LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Melvin Gordon - RB - Wisconsin

Originally posted by Rascal:
No way are we going to draft any more ACL disasters.

Now that Baalke has said we are going to run the ball, there is no excuse for him not to take Melvin Gordon in the 1st !!

Put him back there with Kap and run away with this bit**!
Originally posted by All22:
No. If Tomsula and the FO is serious about playing smashmouth then Gurley makes more sense. Gordon isn't really a power back.

Not only this, but Trent's philosophy revolves around big, physical players, and Todd Gurley fits the bill.
No on Gordon in the 1st but I would take him in the 2nd in a heartbeat.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
No way are we going to draft any more ACL disasters.

Now that Baalke has said we are going to run the ball, there is no excuse for him not to take Melvin Gordon in the 1st !!

Put him back there with Kap and run away with this bit**!

You forgot about combining that with the "run through the brick wall" power of Carlos Hyde too, brother sir (as borrowed from the all time cult movie "A Clockwork Orange"), LOL !!

Can you imagine the explosive power of that trio ?! That will knock the sh*t out of the Seattle Seahawks !!

Wow, I am literally salivating. Make it happen, Baalke (if not I am coming after you !!) !!!
You forgot about combining that with the "run through the brick wall" power of Carlos Hyde too, brother sir (as borrowed from the all time cult movie "A Clockwork Orange"), LOL !!

Can you imagine the explosive power of that trio ?! That will knock the sh*t out of the Seattle Seahawks !!

Wow, I am literally salivating. Make it happen, Baalke (if not I am coming after you !!) !!!
OK. So we saw NE gifted a win by SEA which is still the team to beat IMO. They won vs a worn down SEA secondary with a very patient very methodical offensive approach with a very heroic performance by a HOF QB Tom Brady and they still were very lucky to win that game. You just don't beat SEA by throwing the ball 50 times! What beats SEA usually is not turning the ball over and running the football and getting explosive plays. We won with Gore that way last year and KC won with Jamaal Charles that way DAL won with DeMarco Murray that way. You gotta run at them and hit on twenty plus yard plays. We need more explosive offensive weapons. Right now we have none aside from Kap VD when healthy and perhaps Hyde once he matures. A lot of ifs and uncertainty there and not enough to crack SEA offense IMO. The most explosive offensive first round talent is Melvin Gordon. This accounts for RBs and WRs. No one is more of a threat to hit on big plays multiple times per contest.

We are likely looking at a zone blocking system this year if I am reading things correctly with Foerster and with Kap like SEA Lynch and Wilson we can lead the NFL in rushing playing similarly with Hyde and Gordon back there with Kap. Imagine zone blocking with those guys! Like you said. I don't see why we should pass on this guy when we can likely move up for Sammie Coates in the second or another surefire big play deep threat WR.

I know we win in the trenches but unless there is a Big Cat Williams or a Reggie White at our pick we need to add explosive playmakers this draft. Fact is they come at a premium in FA and we will never go that route with Baalke so we must strike early this draft for those players and use FA to shore up the trenches more cost effectively. We simply can't afford Dez Bryant or DeMarco Murray but we can draft Melvin Gordon and Sammie Coates then have money to add good players on the OL and DL. Matter of fact we got good players there and a new scheme can help the OL. I think if we draft this guy then go to zone blocking and give him and Hyde the ball from the option we can kill teams with a guy like Coates and VD stretching the field.

Let's draft premium explosive offensive talent early at bargain pricing round one and two so we can lead the league in rushing like Baalke said. I am tires of all the mock drafts saying that Kevin White Amari Cooper and Devante Parker are gone and then at our pick we do a AJJ reach on a field stretching one trick pony WR or overdraft a DB when we've found gems in the later rounds and FA anyway traditionally. I say we do need big plays but we draft the best big play threat regardless of position and at the proper value. Our pick us where he is valued so we don't have to reach for that guy

I love Frank but we need to be the top rushing attack in the NFL and I am not sure he gets us there running the option or in a zone scheme but I am confident in Kap Hyde Gordon and Hunter in that scheme. Frank is proven in all systems but at his fee might we be better served keeping Cully and or Cox?
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 11, 2015 at 10:24 PM ]
hell of a brake down...a must watch...this guy will be a stud for whoever picks him

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Highlight Tape ( 16:33 minutes )

Just ran an unofficial 4.52 with a 1.63 10m split
I was just imagining Carroll & Schneider salivating all over this guy when he ran his 40 right after showing their ugly mugs again. Then of course the computer comparison is Lynch. F**k them.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
2nd attempt 4.53

Does Melvin Gordon's level of competition scare anybody? Im asking because i dont know. And you draft gurus know the balance of the playing field within his conference and his oline blocking for him. I just want peoples take on if he is clearly the best RB overall??

I see Gurley just my opinion as a better back with tougher comp. but thats just what i see on the surface
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Does Melvin Gordon's level of competition scare anybody? Im asking because i dont know. And you draft gurus know the balance of the playing field within his conference and his oline blocking for him. I just want peoples take on if he is clearly the best RB overall??

I see Gurley just my opinion as a better back with tougher comp. but thats just what i see on the surface

Haha.

You didn't check his stats against LSU and Auburn did you? Go look and then come back and post again.

What team bulldozed the SEC and the PAC 12 on their way to the National Championship?.......
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM ]
I bet the Eagles draft him now
Bills traded Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy. I like that trade for the Bills too - Bradham stepped up this year and they need to keep Preston Brown on the field. I really wanted them to get Nick Foles though (after the Eagles trade up for Mariota). Eagles are more likely to draft Gurley/Gordon if they stay put.
  • 909er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
OK. So we saw NE gifted a win by SEA which is still the team to beat IMO. They won vs a worn down SEA secondary with a very patient very methodical offensive approach with a very heroic performance by a HOF QB Tom Brady and they still were very lucky to win that game. You just don't beat SEA by throwing the ball 50 times! What beats SEA usually is not turning the ball over and running the football and getting explosive plays. We won with Gore that way last year and KC won with Jamaal Charles that way DAL won with DeMarco Murray that way. You gotta run at them and hit on twenty plus yard plays. We need more explosive offensive weapons. Right now we have none aside from Kap VD when healthy and perhaps Hyde once he matures. A lot of ifs and uncertainty there and not enough to crack SEA offense IMO. The most explosive offensive first round talent is Melvin Gordon. This accounts for RBs and WRs. No one is more of a threat to hit on big plays multiple times per contest.

We are likely looking at a zone blocking system this year if I am reading things correctly with Foerster and with Kap like SEA Lynch and Wilson we can lead the NFL in rushing playing similarly with Hyde and Gordon back there with Kap. Imagine zone blocking with those guys! Like you said. I don't see why we should pass on this guy when we can likely move up for Sammie Coates in the second or another surefire big play deep threat WR.

I know we win in the trenches but unless there is a Big Cat Williams or a Reggie White at our pick we need to add explosive playmakers this draft. Fact is they come at a premium in FA and we will never go that route with Baalke so we must strike early this draft for those players and use FA to shore up the trenches more cost effectively. We simply can't afford Dez Bryant or DeMarco Murray but we can draft Melvin Gordon and Sammie Coates then have money to add good players on the OL and DL. Matter of fact we got good players there and a new scheme can help the OL. I think if we draft this guy then go to zone blocking and give him and Hyde the ball from the option we can kill teams with a guy like Coates and VD stretching the field.

Let's draft premium explosive offensive talent early at bargain pricing round one and two so we can lead the league in rushing like Baalke said. I am tires of all the mock drafts saying that Kevin White Amari Cooper and Devante Parker are gone and then at our pick we do a AJJ reach on a field stretching one trick pony WR or overdraft a DB when we've found gems in the later rounds and FA anyway traditionally. I say we do need big plays but we draft the best big play threat regardless of position and at the proper value. Our pick us where he is valued so we don't have to reach for that guy

I love Frank but we need to be the top rushing attack in the NFL and I am not sure he gets us there running the option or in a zone scheme but I am confident in Kap Hyde Gordon and Hunter in that scheme. Frank is proven in all systems but at his fee might we be better served keeping Cully and or Cox?

Share 49ersWebzone