• DeUh
  • Veteran
RB
Melvin Gordon
Height 6-1
Weight 215
Wisconsin #25

Skill Set Summary

There is no doubt that Gordon is one of fastest play-makers in college football. He has a tremendous first step with a second gear to pull away from defenders. His speed is so fantastic, he can take away angles that defenders have on him. If Gordon finds a lane, he is a one cut and going the distance type running back.

Not only is Gordon fast, but he has good size to him. Gordon has the strength to run through arm tackles and picks up yards after contact. He can run over some defensive backs and finishes his runs well. Gordon is a smart, natural and patient runner. He does a nice job of waiting to set up his blocks before hitting the afterburner to jet away from the defense.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015mgordon.php

Highlight Tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsnQkFKz2t4
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
2014 Season Stats After 11 Games

Rushing

254 Rush Attempts
8,3 Yards Per Attempt
2109 Yards
25 Touchdowns

Receiving

15 Receptions
9,8 Yards Per Reception
147 Yards
2 Touchdowns

The NCAA record for yards per carry (minimum 215 carries) is 7.81, set by Nebraskas Mike Rozier in 1983. At this point Melvin Gordon averages 8.6 yards on 223 carries in 2014.
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Reserved For Tape.
[ Edited by DeUh on Oct 30, 2014 at 5:16 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM ]
He's a Niners home run threat RB. He has the speed of Hunter but the patience of Gore. I'd love for us to draft him and compete for Gore's throne. Having Hyde, Latt, and Gordon would be out of control.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Gordon Puts Up His Third 200-Yard Game Of The Season In Win Over Purdue

Wisconsins Melvin Gordon rushed for 205 yards Saturday, his third 200-yard game of the season, in leading the Badgers to a 34-16 victory at Purdue.

Gordon, who rushed for 253 yards against Bowling Green in September and for 259 against Northwestern in October, should stay near the top of most Heisman watch lists with his performance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424552/article/melvin-gordon-has-205-vs-purdue-his-3rd-200yard-game-of-year
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 13, 2014 at 1:05 AM ]
Guy is a beast
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
boobie dixon 2.0
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I've heard of this guy, but never seen him play. Based off of the highlights, he kinda reminds me of Edgerin James.

My personal pick would have to be for Gurley.
I'm biased because I'm a Badgers fan, but this kid has a special blend of power and speed. Reminds me of Jamaal Charles with a little more power. If Gore is done after this season, I think he would be a perfect complement to Carlos Hyde.

There is no doubt Gordon is a great talent, but I'm pulling for us to take Duke Johnson. He's explosive, elusive, and can catch.

Hyde
Hunter
Johnson
[ Edited by 49erMike on Nov 9, 2014 at 5:47 AM ]
Wisconsin native and life-long Badger fan analysis of Gordon:

-Great size and speed, although he thinks he faster than he is and will try to beat a defender with speed instead of using and angle.
-Great vision and isn't afraid to hit a hole or a defender.
-Great hands and will get acrobatic if he needs to.
-Has been pretty much injury free with only minor dings and hasn't had a ton of carries like Montee Ball so he has more tread on the tires coming out.
-Following in the long line of outstanding Wisconsin runners, Gordon isn't necessarily like a particular one but he has characteristics of a few of them. By far and away the most dynamic of them all, I see him having the highest ceiling.
-My greatest concern about Gordon is that he seems to be concerned with his number line. He did come back to the program for an extra year which had more to do with his draft stock than anything else in my opinion.
-Has run for 100 yards in all but one game this year (LSU) but has scored in every game.
-Being compared with Todd Gurley of Georgia and has been called a bigger Jamal Charles of the Chiefs.
-With Lattimore having issues I started thinking Gordon would be and excellent tandem back with fellow BIG 10 back Carlos Hyde. We could have a seriously good backfield for 4-5 years and because Gordon can catch and will line up in the slot like a WR we could see both running option plays with Kaepernick on the field at the same time. To me that would be downright scary.
-Was included in Heisman talk last year and again this year and would be getting more hype if Wisconsin was higher in the rankings. His stats are better than last year and he's doing more on the field. Heck, he is Wisconsin's offense.
-I think he was projected as 3rd rounder coming out last year so I could see him being an early 2nd this year and possibly late first if he blows up at the combine.
-Some on here weren't excited about another Badger we took last year but I think if you do some research you will find that he is exactly what I thought he was. Like Borland, Gordon hasn't done anything to make me think he can't make it and do in the NFL what he has done in college.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
boobie dixon 2.0

Not even the same kind of runner or body type. Have you even watched him play?
Originally posted by HERN:
I've heard of this guy, but never seen him play. Based off of the highlights, he kinda reminds me of Edgerin James.

My personal pick would have to be for Gurley.

If Gordon was at Georgia and Gurley was at Wisconsin, Gordon would would be the more hyped player. These two are very similar.
It was also mentioned during the Badger game yesterday that Gordon has been known to be bored and just go to the practice facility and work out...in the middle of the night! You want guys like this on your team.
Share 49ersWebzone