There are 236 users in the forums

yxcv

I like him a lot. If he falls for some reason to second round, TAKE HIM.
I don't think it's by accident you're not hearing much about this kid-- NFL GM's are all probably tight lipped about him hoping he is available after the first.

Outside of not playing in a traditional, pro-style formation. I don't see any real knock on him.

Homerun hitter, A++ intangibles (work ethic, toughness, passion for football, character), very good size, feet, hands and has "It" factor.

It was just revealed that he played half the season with a broken toe. Absolutely impressive considering the rest of IU's team was garbage and there was no other offensive player or passing game to worry about. AND he didn't have close to the OL Gordon had at Wisconsin.

If he runs a low 4.4 or in the 4.3's at his pro day, NO WAY he is available at our 2nd round pick.
edit: dbl post
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:24 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersJordan:
I like him a lot. If he falls for some reason to second round, TAKE HIM.

How many RBs do you think will go early? I think he's really good, but RBs go so late now. Gordon, Gurley, Ajayi, and Coleman are all studs, but somebody's got to slide to us. I can't imagine 4 RBs going in the 1st 1.5 rounds.
I don't see anything particularly special about Ajayi, and I don't like that he played against mid level talent.

Gurley has all-world natural talent... but is a total Wild Card where he goes given his ACL. If he's healthy, IMO, he's a Top 10 pick, even in a "devalued" RB era. Productive, 225+ lb RB with home run speed and power, battle tested in the SEC. If it were up to ME, I would take him in the 2nd if he is there no question, and would think long and hard about him at #15.

Gordon is good... but can you REALLY trust Wisconsin RB's? He is a good player and I think he can be a successful pro, but I didn't see anything eye popping about him on tape. He has above average speed, but not NFL-homerun-speed, and IMO, he doesn't play like a 216 lb RB.

Tevin Coleman carries the rock like anything BUT a long TD run is not acceptable.
Still want Coleman in the 2nd round
He looks like he has excellent balance.
If he runs a low 4.4 or 4.3, I could see him sneaking into the 1st round.

After really watching him and looking into him, I don't know how he's not getting more attention and coverage. He looks and plays like a slightly less powerful Adrian Peterson, and the only real "knock" on him is that he is an upright runner... which to me means next to nothing considering there have been a number of GREAT RB's in the NFL that have upright running styles (Adrian Peterson, Eric Dickerson, Arian Foster, etc).

He would add some MAJOR juice to our running game, especially if we're running more pistol and shotgun/zone read with Kaepernick.
If we get Coleman this will be a successful draft. This kid is going to be the NFL's next great back.
Coleman would be a nice compliment to the power-running Hyde...my main concern with him is he tends to run with only one speed...all-out. That can work in college, but in the NFL it'd likely result with him getting on the IRL. He needs to learn to use some patience...to set up his blocks and take what's there as opposed to trying to blast through and take it to the house on every carry. If he can do that, we could have a West Coast version of thunder and lightning.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Coleman would be a nice compliment to the power-running Hyde...my main concern with him is he tends to run with only one speed...all-out. That can work in college, but in the NFL it'd likely result with him getting on the IRL. He needs to learn to use some patience...to set up his blocks and take what's there as opposed to trying to blast through and take it to the house on every carry. If he can do that, we could have a West Coast version of thunder and lightning.

I believe that kind of critique only really matters if he is constantly failing to find holes and running into blockers. I don't think you can rush for 2k+ on a bum toe with a bad OL and non-existent passing game by not following/setting up your blockers.

Other than that, I would argue that mentality is a positive- I WANT a RB who feels and runs like he can take it to the house on any play, any where on the field.

Worst case scenario... you can teach a RB with world class speed to have patience and not run 100mph out of the gates; you can't teach a RB with patience to be 6'1, 215 lbs and have home run speed.

For our purposes, I will hope and pray that opposing GM's knock him enough for that and his upright running style so that he is available in the 2nd.

More and more I look at this kid... no way he make it past Seattle in Rd 1 if Gordon and Gurley are already off the board... and Jacksonville, Oakland, Atlanta, Miami, Buffalo and New Orleans all need a RB and pick ahead of us in the 2nd as well.
My draft crush!!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
He kind of reminds me of Hyde, but faster.
Draft him in the 2nd Baalke!
I would not be surprised to see him go in the 1st round at this point... we might need to either trade back from #15 or trade up from our 2nd round pick to have him.

There are no real knocks on. Big RB with breakaway speed, innate feel for setting up blockers, can catch, pass block and as tough as it gets.

He's officially my draft crush as well and I like him as a RB better than I like any of the WR's in the this years draft.

With Gore all but signed by the Eagles, RB becomes a top priority again. A backfield of Coleman, Kap and Hyde will make our running game tough as s**t to stop even against 8-9 man fronts.
Share 49ersWebzone