LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Brandon Bridge, QB, South Alabama

Think it's time we start exploring a true backup for Kaepernick and stop with the reclamation projects (Colt McCoy, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Johnson, etc.). I introduce to you, Colin Kaepernick-lite.

Brandon Bridge - 6'5, 235, 4.5-4.7 40, projected 5-7th round
Starting to garner scouts attention with his first year as a starter at South Alabama (previously played at Alcorn State before transferring). Fast, great laser arm, plays with/against weak talent so it's going to be a big knock on him. Has been drawing comparisons to Kaep.:

South Alabama Jaguars: Brandon Bridge Rising Up NFL Draft Boards

Standing at 6-5, 235 pounds, it is easy to see why South Alabama Jaguars' quarterback, Brandon Bridge impresses teammates, coaches and scouts.

Gifted with a strong-arm, gazelle like speed and great instincts, the 22-year-old's unique blend of physical and athletic tools have the word "potential" glued to him.

After recently being named to the prestigious NFL Senior Bowl's watch list, the former Peel Region standout looks primed to fulfill his potential with accomplishments.

Bridge's ascension up NFL scouts draft boards started on a sticky Louisiana evening back in mid-July at the Manning Passing Academy.

That evening in Thibodaux, Bridge showcased his potential in the Air-It-Out Challenge, finishing ahead of last years Heisman trophy finalist's Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty.

Although Bridge did not win the contest, eventually losing to Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion in the finals, he left quite the impression on those in attendance. He even garnered high praise from the NFL's royal family, the Manning's. As both Eli and Peyton Manning were impressed with Bridge's skill set.

Ever since that sticky summer evening in the Bayou, Brandon Bridge is one of the hottest "sleeper" names on NFL draft boards.

Everywhere you look, Bridge and the rise of South Alabama football are synonymous. Analysts and player evaluators can't get enough of Bridge.

Recently, both CBS Sports' Dane Brugler and former Cleveland Browns Player Personnel Director, now Senior Bowl Executive Director, Phil Savage, have compared Bridge to current San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

"Bridge is tall and lean with a rocket launcher on his right shoulder like the 49ers quarterback and has more than enough velocity to toss ropes to all levels of the field," said Brugler.

Savage quickly agreed with Brugler's assessment, deeming Bridge as "baby Kaepernick" on his personal Twitter account.

While the praise of Bridge's potential continues to flow in, he is not worried about the pressure that comes with it.

"I'm not worried about the pressure," Bridge said. "I've been waiting a long time for this. I'm not going to let the opportunity slip by."

After dismantling the Appalachian State Mountaineers 47-21 this past Saturday, South Alabama's record improved to 3-2, tied for third place in the Sun Belt Conference. Bridge played very well on Saturday, throwing for 339 yards, three touchdowns, as well as 23 yards rushing and another touchdown.

More importantly, Bridge led the Jaguars' offence to a season high 582 total yards, as well as the schools highest point total since 2010. Overall, Bridge has played well through five games, compiling 1,205 total yards and 8 total touchdowns.
http://tipofthetower.com/2014/10/06/south-alabama-jaguars-brandon-bridge-rising-draft-boards/

Dane Bulger's scouting report from CBS:

STRENGTHS: Does a nice job scanning from the pocket and pushing the ball downfield with talent that reminds me of a less refined Colin Kaepernick. Shows a good understanding of situations and field awareness, playing under control of the offense with a quick processor to read the field then grip it and rip it.

From a tools perspective, he has intriguing talent worth developing. I expect Bridge to be in the mix for a Senior Bowl invitation and it won't be surprising when he starts to "rise" up draft boards over the next few months.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal experience, especially against FBS-level competition. Needs to tighten his mechanics, improve his pocket presence and sharpen his ball placement.

COMPARES TO: Colin Kaepernick, 49ers -- Bridge is tall and lean with a rocket launcher on his right shoulder like the 49ers quarterback and has more than enough velocity on his passes to toss ropes to all levels of the field.

--Dane Brugler (9/16/14)

PLAYER OVERVIEW: South Alabama has never had a player taken in the NFL Draft, but between Bridge and TE Wes Saxon, that should change next spring. An Alcorn State transfer, Bridge is in his first season as the Jaguars' starter, and has showen an intriguing skill-set that is starting to create some buzz in the scouting community.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1776297/brandon-bridge

Limited videos, but:

And here's some old ones from his days at Alcorn State:

I see your Brandon Bridge and raise you Travis Wilson.

[ Edited by Heisenberg on Oct 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Heisenberg:

Wasn't he just benched? No thanks.

Turn on ESPNU now and get a taste of some Brandon Bridge.
Originally posted by Heisenberg:

It looks like this dude sucks!! I'll take Brandon bridges over this statue QB by a long shot
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
vs Appalachian State 2014

vs Mississippi State 2014

[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Week Seven: Risers And Sliders

Two weeks ago when I joined my friend Fran Duffy for his Eagle Eye in the Sky Podcast we briefly spoke about South Alabama quarterback Brandon Bridge.

Since then league insiders have told me Bridge is building a real buzz inside war rooms. One league source compared his physical skills to Colin Kaepernicks as Bridge has the arm strength to make all the throws as well as the leg speed to make big plays running the ball.

When questioned about his rather ordinary completion percentage of 55 percent this season I was told there have been 40 recorded drops of catchable passes by South Alabama targets this season. As mentioned during the podcast the talk is Bridge will likely receive a Senior Bowl invite though for disclosure purposes none of this is coming from Senior Bowl staff.

If he does turn up in uniform next January in Mobile it will be a huge opportunity for Bridge.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10086
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Two weeks ago when, I joined my friend Fran Duffy for his Eagle Eye in the Sky podcast, we briefly spoke about South Alabama quarterback Brandon Bridge. Since then league insiders have told me Bridge is building a real buzz inside war rooms. One league source compared his physical skills to Colin Kaepernick’s as Bridge has the arm strength to make all the throws as well as the leg speed to make big plays running the ball. When questioned about his rather ordinary completion percentage of 55% this season I was told there have been 40 recorded drops of catchable passes by South Alabama targets this season. As mentioned during the podcast, the talk is Bridge will likely receive a Senior Bowl invite, though for disclosure purposes none of this is coming from Senior Bowl staff. If he does turn up in uniform next January in Mobile it will be a huge opportunity for Bridge.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10086

Like the article says, his WRs don't help him any. When I was watching last night I saw at least 3 really bad drops. Bridge looks a lot like Kaep when he's playing. He even has the "throw it really hard at my WRs when they're 10 yards away" pass down. Kid has a laser, and his WRs look like they know it and don't want to break a finger trying to catch it lol. He's definitely raw and needs work, but he oozes talent and would make a great developmental QB.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for 49ers808.
I'm on board, I'd already take him over Gabbert and Johnson. Perfect development QB
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
South Alabama Coach Joey Jones

His fundamentals at throwing the football just go through the roof. He has made a lot of improvement as a quarterback. He has a great arm and he can also win with his legs .

I think we've had 25 (scouts from NFL teams) come back to see him. The words out right now. The more experience he gets, the better he is going to be.

There is a lot of potential down the road for him.

[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM ]
NFLDraftScout currently has him as the #6 Sr. QB right now.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
AFC North Scout

He is as raw as he is talented. The ball shoots off his hand and he has some traits you cannot teach.

I'm just not sure how naturally the game comes to him. How much better can he get? What is his football ceiling? I'm not sure. But he could end up being a bargain for a team that brings him along at his pace.
I like Bridge's potential but he's even more raw and needs more developing than Logan Thomas did last year. If you plan on keeping him on your roster for 3-4 seasons, he has the natural tools to be a decent and solid starter in the NFL but not anyone I'd bet the farm on
Share 49ersWebzone