LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

If you could travel back in time would you draft Aldon Smith or J.J. Watt, and why?

If you could travel back in time would you draft Aldon Smith or J.J. Watt, and why?

I came up with this question over the weekend and thought it was fun.
I would trade the whole 2012 draft away, move back into the first and draft both
Originally posted by jreff22:
I would trade the whole 2012 draft away, move back into the first and draft both

This. End thread.
Watt
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Watt hands down. He is the best defensive player in the league right now. Both are 25 years old. Watt is known off the field for charitable work, not for reckless drunken behavior that gets him arrested and suspended by the NFL. Anyone who picks Aldon Smith has a severe case of homeritis.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
As good as Aldon has been for us, I doubt that he's on the same league as JJ
Originally posted by jreff22:

Oh man...I get moist thinking about that possibility
Watt. We wouldn't have known back then that he'd be good enough to bench RayMac, but quick inside pressure disrupts top QBs like nothing else. A dominant inside rusher trumps a dominant outside rusher. The fact that you just can't throw over him increases his value.
Originally posted by 9moon:

He is if he stays out of trouble.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Gimme Aldon. I guess I'm crazy but in the long run I see Aldon having a more productive career (if he stays out the News).

• LVJay
  • Veteran
We can experiment by getting both DNA / sperm. Use Arnold Schwarzeneggar as the surrogate mother... create ultimate sack master.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Assuming Watt produces the same. $100 million is a lot of money. This defense might look different if he was on the team, don't think we would be able to afford some players.

I'll stick with Aldon.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

more proof that 9 moon is the new word for cloud nine
Clearly you'd go with JJ Watt. You could imagine Justin Smith and JJ Watt anchoring either side of the defensive line? That would be unbelievably disruptive. Any 3-4 OLB could rack up sacks with the double teams those two would require.

Smith has been great, but JJ Watt has been the better player. I don't know why that's so hard for people to admit. He is basically the consensus best defensive player in the game. Smith is an elite pass rusher, but JJ Watt impacts every aspect of the game.

Even if you think they are comparable in production (which I disagree with -- Aldon has been great, JJ Watt has been off the charts), the off-the-field issues skew things in Watt's favor and make it a no-brainer.
JJ Watt in 2011 and Jeffery over Jenkins in 2012
Share 49ersWebzone