There are 207 users in the forums

vnas

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
There has been talk of Dorsett working his way into the first round. So, just how early are people here willing to select him?

No way. His production wasn't great at the U. He has huge numbers in terms of his yards per catch, but I think he's still a 3rd/4th round guy unless has some ridiculous workouts at the combine.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
There has been talk of Dorsett working his way into the first round. So, just how early are people here willing to select him?

No way. His production wasn't great at the U. He has huge numbers in terms of his yards per catch, but I think he's still a 3rd/4th round guy unless has some ridiculous workouts at the combine.

very true he has Antonio Brown comparisons IMO
LOL.

Teams always fall in love with speed.

And then some team always pays the premium.

He's a lottery ticket folks.

Edit: It's reeeaally hard not to imagine him catching a 70 yard bomb from Kaep. Need to see more. A great combine might push him in the mid to late 1st round. His speed is fun to watch. s**t, now I'm falling in love with speed. Screw it, draft him at 15.
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Jan 26, 2015 at 9:28 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
I don't know about that one. I mean, the guy was viewed as a 3rd-4th-round pick before the Senior Bowl and he is all of the sudden on a rise to round 1? This is a very huge leap, if you ask me.

Yeah, would be quite a jump. I easily recall Mike Mayock talking about several SB players "that may have worked themselves into the 1st rd".

Got me thinking, wow really?

... and then I thought of Ted Ginn Jr being selected at # 9... and then I looked up their career stats to compare...

I think Dorsett is a much better prospect than Ted was.. and expect a brighter future for him.

... am I talking myself into selecting him at # 15? eh.... not just yet. But I won't be at all shocked at this point if he goes in the 1st rd.
Round 1 is kind of high for him, but no way he falls out of round 2.
Kid may be the fastest at the combine we need speed at the Wr position
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

yea he will be top 5 for sure kid is electric
I think Id rather have Dorsett than Devin Smith.
Originally posted by Butter:

Totally agree! Watching Philip Dorsett I see a faster Antonio Brown. Everything I saw Devin ran one route, and he was good at it. He also seemed to have good ball skills, which I liked. But give Philip Dorsett, they say the kid ran a 4.21 40 at Miami. And I bet he is top 5 in all the lateral movement agility drills.
[ Edited by bALLSOhARD on Feb 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM ]
I like this guy's hands. Santana Moss 2.0. Poor man's Brandin Cooks.

Originally posted by bALLSOhARD:

Totally agree! Watching Philip Dorsett I see a faster Antonio Brown. Everything I saw Devin ran one route, and he was good at it. He also seemed to have good ball skills, which I liked. But give Philip Dorsett, they say the kid ran a 4.21 40 at Miami. And I bet he is top 5 in all the lateral movement agility drills.

Smith can do everything Dorsett can plus he's much bigger.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:

Doubt it. Dorsett looked awesome in the SB drills. He was able to get open on pretty much any route. The only WR that looked better was Lockett.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

If you look at the history of the guys who were the fastest at the combine over the past decade, its not really a "who's who" of successful NFL players.

Dorsett is intriguing but there's no way in hell he should be a 1st round pick or close.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:

Possibly...but I look at these highlight tapes of guys and look for certain things. One or two highlight tapes does not make make a prospect nor give the full picture of that prospect, but It gives glimpses of what they can do. It is important to see how they are successful. How a prospect goes about winning each battle down to down is probably how they will attempt to succeed in the NFL. The question is will it translate to the league.

I look at Smiths tape and I see the same thing over and over. He seems to only win with the 9 route. A lot of the time it was press coverage, with a step or two. He has pretty good ball skills. When I see Dorsett winning its a hitch, a cross, a 9 route, a curl sitting in zone, corner route, a screen route, a post, a go route... These are plays for 15, 20 plus yards. Most of the tape guys wouldn't dare play that press coverage, because they were scared of his deep speed. When he wins on that deep route it's by 5 or more yards.

I am not trying to talk .... On Smith, I just feel that Dorsett is a superior prospect.
[ Edited by bALLSOhARD on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:52 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If you look at the history of the guys who were the fastest at the combine over the past decade, its not really a "who's who" of successful NFL players.

That history would suggest that drafting the fastest player at the Combine should be avoided.

Share 49ersWebzone