LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Get Mariota

Not a strong arm and durability will be an issue in the pros
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Is this a serious post? He's a much better athlete and has a bigger arm than Smith. The consensus is he's raw and may take time adjusting to a new system, but he's a better prospect than Kaepernick was and Kaepernick has a higher ceiling than Smith. As a thrower, Mariota can be inaccurate, but he has the arm strength to make throws and seems to have decent pocket presence. He's going to be a top 5 pick and should be (at least in this draft which doesn't look very strong). If you don't think there's a chance Mariota ends up being better than Alex Smith, you don't know much about football.

He does not need to rebuild his mechanics - his throwing mechanics are fine and his throwing motion is often compared to Andrew Luck's. He needs to be more consistent with his footwork and step into throws, but by all accounts, he's very coachable and footwork is a lot easier to fix than rebuilding everything.

Arm strenth? LOL. Kap is a much better player and I wouldn't EVER take Mariota over Kap. Kap has much more potential. He throws ducks into the air. He won't have wide recievers open every play in the NFL either. He will be Alex Smith I agree. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing nowadays!
i said i think his upside is alex smith (who is better than kap)

i dont think he gets there. i bet he ends up being jake locker. i just dont see it. 2nd round talent to me.

I'd have garoppolo, bridgewater and carr over him (and i'm still unsure on carr)
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Is this a serious post? He's a much better athlete and has a bigger arm than Smith. The consensus is he's raw and may take time adjusting to a new system, but he's a better prospect than Kaepernick was and Kaepernick has a higher ceiling than Smith. As a thrower, Mariota can be inaccurate, but he has the arm strength to make throws and seems to have decent pocket presence. He's going to be a top 5 pick and should be (at least in this draft which doesn't look very strong). If you don't think there's a chance Mariota ends up being better than Alex Smith, you don't know much about football.

He does not need to rebuild his mechanics - his throwing mechanics are fine and his throwing motion is often compared to Andrew Luck's. He needs to be more consistent with his footwork and step into throws, but by all accounts, he's very coachable and footwork is a lot easier to fix than rebuilding everything.

Some of the things said about Mariota are completely idiotic. You knock him but want less talented qb's like Mannion, Petty, Hundley, Cook? Da fuq? He actually played well in the natl championship game. He's better than Smith and Kaep. Arm strength doesn't mean anything when the qb has no touch or awareness…that is Kaep. Mariota's pocket awareness in the NC game was better than Kaep's, all season lol. I'm exaggerating that part but the kid is way more refined than Kaep was when he came out. His throwing motion is good but you're right that he needs to work on his footwork.
its not that mannion > mariota

its that Mannion in 3rd > mariota top5

i'd rather have Mannion and a top 5 pick vs mariota and a 3rd round pick.
mariota is not andrew luck. he is not a unquestionable star, he has just as much a chanceto flame out as mannion. but costs the price of an elite pick.
not worth the pick
you can't have caveman thinking when it comes to the draft.

I want QB - he best QB - I take QB *grunt *grunt

there is no value with mariota at 5. waste.
Can't wait to see him prove all you haters wrong. I'll gladly bring this thread back in a few years to hear the I told you so's later if not
I've said it before, why all the hate from you guys man? This is the type of kid you root for and would gladly let your daughters marry.
Originally posted by mtl_49er:
its not that mannion > mariota

its that Mannion in 3rd > mariota top5

i'd rather have Mannion and a top 5 pick vs mariota and a 3rd round pick.
mariota is not andrew luck. he is not a unquestionable star, he has just as much a chanceto flame out as mannion. but costs the price of an elite pick.
not worth the pick

I would argue that there is one pick in this draft that is an unquestionable star and that is Leonard Williams. Cooper and Gregory are close - I think Cooper is going to be very good but I don't know if he will be a star (seems like a higher floor prospect but he doesn't have the ceiling of Calvin Johnson/AJ Green/Julio Jones). Gregory has a lot of potential but needs to get stronger against the run so he doesn't come without risks. Winston has character concerns. Mariota is the 6th ranked prospect on ESPN and the top prospect on CBS. There aren't a ton of elite prospects at the top this year, so you're giving up less taking Mariota in the top 5 than you would in some other draft classes. No one is even close to Andrew Luck as a prospect this year, but there still has to be a #1 pick. Brandon Scherff is considered a borderline top 5 pick this year and he may not even be able to play LT in the NFL.

These are ESPN's top 6 prospects:
1. Leonard Williams* DE USC 96
2. Jameis Winston* QB Florida St 95
3. Shane Ray* DE Missouri 95
4. Amari Cooper* WR Alabama 94
5. Randy Gregory* DE Nebraska 94
6. Marcus Mariota* QB Oregon 93

90-100 is considered a first-round prospect. Only 16 players have that rating currently and these are the only 6 above 92. At 15, we may be getting the equivalent of a late first round draft pick other years and weakness at the top of the draft may keep Mariota in the top 5.

And Mannion isn't worth a 3rd round pick anyways - he's probably going to go later than that.
Mariota's not going to be a Niner...I don't see anyone hating on him, just expressing their reservations. Mannion's appealing because he's been a consistent QB but would be less of a risk because he'll go later in the draft.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Mariota's not going to be a Niner...I don't see anyone hating on him, just expressing their reservations. Mannion's appealing because he's been a consistent QB but would be less of a risk because he'll go later in the draft.

Correct, Mariota won't be a 49er, 9ers already have a QB who Mariota is like. I believe that Mariota will be a Titan, Jet or Bear. i just can't see them passing up Mariota.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Calling him a waste of a pick in the top five is a reservation?
....for what, to turn him into a pocket passer?
Another Kaepernick. A guy who can't play at all from the pocket and function as a normal QB. We already got one of those. No more.......
Share 49ersWebzone