LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Danny Shelton-DL-Washington

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Imo mid second. He could go higher (mid to late first) but there's such a wealth of five tech guys coming out this year that it'll drop him.

I disagree, if teams view him as a NT, then I think 15-25 range. I've had the opportunity first hand to watch him man-handle Hawaii's O-line. I know it's Hawaii, but he keeps a constant pressure all day. Danny Shelton is most definitely in the mold of Vince Wilfork, drafting Shelton would erase all the mistakes from the 2004 draft.

ehh, need to see him against better competition before i start putting him that high. But I like the idea of him being a NT. Although with Dorsey and Williams, I'd much rather take a five tech or a CB.

And there you go.

Shelton was a beast against one of the best O-lines in the country.
Imo mid second. He could go higher (mid to late first) but there's such a wealth of five tech guys coming out this year that it'll drop him.

I disagree, if teams view him as a NT, then I think 15-25 range. I've had the opportunity first hand to watch him man-handle Hawaii's O-line. I know it's Hawaii, but he keeps a constant pressure all day. Danny Shelton is most definitely in the mold of Vince Wilfork, drafting Shelton would erase all the mistakes from the 2004 draft.

ehh, need to see him against better competition before i start putting him that high. But I like the idea of him being a NT. Although with Dorsey and Williams, I'd much rather take a five tech or a CB.

And there you go.

Shelton was a beast against one of the best O-lines in the country.

This. Great game.
Between him Carl Davis Mario Edward Jr. And Shawn Oakman, there's going to be a huge surplus of 3-4 DE coming out. We're probably going to have some choices to make at 32.

Beast....that is all
Want
If Shelton keeps this up, he'll be in the conversation as a Top 10 pick.
I think he's about there (a top 10 pick). As much as I hate trading lots of picks for a single player, there are two exceptions, franchise QBs and guys that can get after the QB. Although it wouldn't be Shelton's primary responsibility to rush the QB, I can only imagine what he'd look like playing next to Justin Smith.
they have another kid on the team that should be on the radar, as well. kikiha is now the leader in sacks at uw.
If we were to move up for a defensive line player, this is the kind of guy worth doing it for. The fact that he could potentially play DE or NT makes it even better.
I have to add a +1 here. The guy is an absolute force on the line (I am a bit biased being a Husky and all). Imagine a faster Star Lotulelei with better pass rushing skills and you get Danny Shelton. I don't think he will be as good of a run stuffer as Wilfork, but he consistently collapses the pocket.

With that said, he would be a luxury pick. With the uncertainty at guard, cornerback, and wide receiver (to an extent), I don't know if we trade up and get him.

Originally posted by 49erDawgFan:
I have to add a +1 here. The guy is an absolute force on the line (I am a bit biased being a Husky and all). Imagine a faster Star Lotulelei with better pass rushing skills and you get Danny Shelton. I don't think he will be as good of a run stuffer as Wilfork, but he consistently collapses the pocket.

With that said, he would be a luxury pick. With the uncertainty at guard, cornerback, and wide receiver (to an extent), I don't know if we trade up and get him.

G and CB will be fine. Boone and Looney/Thomas start. The loser of Boone/Looney backs up the interior, along with the loser of Martin/Kilgore. Keep JMart as swing T. Early draft pick would be wasted, mid/late won't make the team.

Cox comes back, IMO, Cully walks. Cook? Who knows/cares? Cox and Brock start; DJohnson, Acker, and Reaser (wait til you see him play) complete a solid group.

I'd like a big outside deep/RZ threat at WR (in a draft featuring SEVERAL of them), but we hate drafting those, so DL seems next up. Basically, wherever we can get a gamebreaker, we should. Immediate inside pressure is the most disruptive force in the game, IMO.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by 49erDawgFan:
I have to add a 1 here. The guy is an absolute force on the line (I am a bit biased being a Husky and all). Imagine a faster Star Lotulelei with better pass rushing skills and you get Danny Shelton. I don't think he will be as good of a run stuffer as Wilfork, but he consistently collapses the pocket.

G and CB will be fine. Boone and Looney/Thomas start. The loser of Boone/Looney backs up the interior, along with the loser of Martin/Kilgore. Keep JMart as swing T. Early draft pick would be wasted, mid/late won't make the team.

Cox comes back, IMO, Cully walks. Cook? Who knows/cares? Cox and Brock start; DJohnson, Acker, and Reaser (wait til you see him play) complete a solid group.

I'd like a big outside deep/RZ threat at WR (in a draft featuring SEVERAL of them), but we hate drafting those, so DL seems next up. Basically, wherever we can get a gamebreaker, we should. Immediate inside pressure is the most disruptive force in the game, IMO.

This. I'd love to take Shelton, who can potentially play NT or DE. I like the pick so much, I'd be willing for the 49ers to trade up and get him. This is only if it's more of an Eric Reid type of trade and not a Sammy Watkins or Julio Jones type. He essentially would have to be available in the late teens. If not, then a player like Mario Edwards would be a nice consolation prize. Tank Carradine may not have contributed yet, but when the lightbulb finally does come on, I expect him to be a force. Pairing him with a player like Shelton or Edwards and Dorsey, and keep in mind we still have RayMac would cause some serious problems. And then we still have Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch rushing. Yes, I think a trade up for Shelton would be worth it.

Like you, I'm not worried at all about corner. Our secondary has arguably had its best season of the Jim Harbaugh era and this is without any pass rush. Imagine how they would look if they did have one? All the more reason to move up if necessary to get an immediate impact player on the D line as long as the price is right. With the way Shelton is playing though, I think he will be out of our trading range (top 15 pick).
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
NFC West Scout

He really scares me because he has major talent, but I also wonder if he is on his best behavior because its a contract year for him. What happens when he signs his contract,?

College Football 24/7

Scouts are concerned with Sheltons personality and work ethic. More than one scout has said the previous coaching staff at Washington had issues with Sheltons surliness and selfishness.
Originally posted by DeUh:
NFC West Scout

He really scares me because he has major talent, but I also wonder if he is on his best behavior because its a contract year for him. What happens when he signs his contract,?

College Football 24/7

Scouts are concerned with Sheltons personality and work ethic. More than one scout has said the previous coaching staff at Washington had issues with Sheltons surliness and selfishness.

Might be a problem, but then again Aaron Lynch turned his act around. So anything's possible I guess
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If Shelton keeps this up, he'll be in the conversation as a Top 10 pick.

Seriously?

Is this just that weak of a draft? I wouldn't touch this guy in the early 2nd much less the top 15.
Share 49ersWebzone