LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

2015 49ers Draft Needs

Originally posted by 9moon:
Funny how our team looks loaded, but really, we are a very young team and we need some play makers now.

I often spoke about how we should target a certain defender on the draft, and give up our extra picks.. we are loaded, we don't have time to develope now.. we need to win now... instead, we continue to draft players after players, and replace young players by even younger players..

This 2015 draft, I hope we concentrate and target a DL w/a huge upside, and move up and draft him..

We also need a young QB that will compete.. a young one like what Washington has behind RG3..

This sounds all well and good, but I'm not so big on trading up (giving up multiple picks) for one player unless it's a franchise QB which we already have. The other position I would consider it for is a pass rusher, but even then, I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary.

I was speaking to a friend who is a Falcons fan about that Julio Jones trade, which I believe still haunts that team. Now Julio Jones is a great receiver and I'd love to have him. However, they gave up the opportunity to have some pretty good players for one receiver. Those kinds of moves really hurt the overall depth of a team. And as you know, depth can evaporate very quickly. Look what happened to us at running back this season. We went from having a glut to now being short one running back.

It won't be hard to get that young QB you are looking for. Cousins was drafted in the 4th round and there are decent QBs we can get as backups in the later rounds. As for the DE, I was thinking about the Smith Brothers. Justin was drafted at 4 overall and Aldon at 7 overall. Both are elite players at their position. I fully realize that the chances that we will have a shot at such a player again is unlikely given that we won't be drafting top 10 for awhile, However, we can still get a damn good defensive end in the first round. I guess we'll see what our team looks like next season. If the rest of our picks from 2013 and 2014 pan out, we might be able to afford a gamble to move up for a top tier player in 2015. But I doubt it and would prefer we just for BPA in each of the rounds with a little movement if a player happens to fall.
DE and CB remain a need IMO. Offensively we're looking pretty good. I'd draft heavily on defense and focus on guys that slide. Our roster is set to where BPA is a legitimate option.
After 3 weeks starting to clear up a little more. A lot can change but right now DL (PASS RUSHER!!!), CB, Backup QB, Possibly Backup OLB (PASS RUSHER!!!) are sticking out to me right now. We might have cancelled 3rd TE off the list with Carrier being here for this year and next. Celek is a FA after this year and could be gone when he comes off PUP if Davis/McDonald are healthy.

Updated my original post
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
I would have traded up for Watkins at WR but other than that? Not so much. Fangio doesn't play rookies much unless they are special and offer specific value. Reid was ready and they are using Ward for specific reasons...one of which is that he is a play maker...or was in college.

Defense
  • DBs: a ton of young talent in the defensive backfield...the coaches will get the best out of them...eventually.
  • DL: still would like to see a true NT but other than that they are deep enough.
  • OLB: thought Lemonier would be better but so far missing Aldon is painful. If they have a chance at a playmaker...jump!
  • ILB: Depth is good and Willis/Bowman have years left.

Offense
  • OL: with Thomas coming in next year they are in good shape, but they always need to add here--loss of Iupati?
  • WR: they have good depth for the first time in years but they need to add a young playmaker. Someone like Watkins. Ellington and Patton will be good but they are both on the small side. Could lose a couple of vets. They need to continue building here.
  • RB: Set for the forseable future...but they need to always keep an eye out. Greatest turnover position.
  • QB: backup needed!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
As of right now I'm gonna say:

NT - Danny Shelton
OLB - Markus Golden if he declares
OLB - Shane Ray if he declares - Yes I love Missouri pass rushers!!!!
3-4 DE - Arik Armstead - Would love to have him but Baalke just doesn't seem sold on players from the PAC-12
3-4 DE - Henry Anderson - See Arik Armstead
CB - PJ Williams
CB - Jalen Collins
RB - Kenny Hilliard
RB - Karlos Williams
Pass rushing play maker - either OLB or DL

A corner who can actually cover

Backup QB
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I would have traded up for Watkins at WR but other than that?Only and only if we assumed that Boldin, Crabtree, Lloyd and SJ will walk after season. Otherwise, we would end up like the Falcons after their Julio Jones-trade. Imho, you have to pick a pass-rushing defender or an O-liner in the first three rounds of EVERY draft. Why do I say this? Because we would have to give up either a 2nd- or a 3rd-rounder, either of this or of the upcoming year or both or a mix of it. Sorry, but we are not THIS desperate and to be honest, I would never ever give up the whole farm for a WR. Way to dependent on the QB.

Defense
  • DBs: a ton of young talent in the defensive backfield...the coaches will get the best out of them...eventually. yep, think the same. Though, another safety would be nice.
  • DL: still would like to see a true NT but other than that they are deep enough. Justin Smith is very old, Carradine is the only pass-rushing DE behind him. That is way too little. RayMac's contract is up after next season and we don't know if he will be suspended for at least 6 games next season or not. And as I always like to state: d-line is always a need.
  • OLB: thought Lemonier would be better but so far missing Aldon is painful. If they have a chance at a playmaker...jump! I'm absolutely with you on this. a pass-rushing OLB is a huge need in the upcoming draft, especially if we cut Brooks. I would even like to have another one, he is allowed to be inferior in the pass-rush if he can play against the run as well.
  • ILB: Depth is good and Willis/Bowman have years left. Yep

Offense
  • OL: with Thomas coming in next year they are in good shape, but they always need to add here--loss of Iupati? o-line is always a need.
  • WR: they have good depth for the first time in years but they need to add a young playmaker. Someone like Watkins. Ellington and Patton will be good but they are both on the small side. Could lose a couple of vets. They need to continue building here. we need another speedy WR. I assume that Lloyd won't be here forever, Boldin is gone after 2015 and we don't anything about SJ. We certainly need another WR.
  • RB: Set for the forseable future...but they need to always keep an eye out. Greatest turnover position. Especially if Lattimore didn't show anything until then. Gore is aging, Hyde is the only power-RB left then.
  • QB: backup needed! absolutely
Text.
given that the secondary has to gain some rhythm and the assumption that this part of the team will look a lot better then, here is my new list:
-pass-rushing DE
jonnydel told it after the Cards' film analysis: we don't have many quality pass-rushers, almost no one can beat a 1on1. That is not even poor but embarrasing. Justin Smith is one of the few who is disruptive in 1on1 but he is 35. Even if Tank could take over immediately, there is no one behind him in case of rotation or emergency. We need a 5-technique DE badly. I do like Hyde and I do think that we will profit by his abilites a lot in the next years but sometimes I think, why haven't we picked Tuitt instead. We need an immediate solution.

If we forget about the BPA approach, I expect us to pick one in:
Round 1-2

2)pass-rushing OLB
there is not much behind Aldon. We expected that Lemonier would provide way more damage to the opp QB than he has done so far. Lynch needs more time if he pans out at all and Brooks could become a cap casualty next year. Skuta is not a pass-rusher.

Target: Round 1-3

3)safety-backup
Dahl is certainly not the answer and he could become a cap casualty as well. I don't sh... about McRay's abilites. And I don't know if we plan with Ward at Safety or not.

Target: Round 3-7

4)RB
I don't know how we could afford Gore next year given the salary cap pressure. I don't know about Lattimore's health and ability in the NFL. Another RB could and perhaps should be picked.

Target: Round 3-5

5)fast WR
Apparent, isn't it? put the "fast" away if Boldin, Crabtree and/or SJ leave. For now, we have Patton, Ellington, Boldin and SJ for the next year.

Target: anywhere

6)backup QB
apparent as well.

Target: round 2-4

Yes, it means that we will have a Hyde/Tuitt-situation next year again on day one and/or two. BUT this is an at-the-moment-approach. Perhaps, Lemonier or Lynch pans out by the end of the season. This would ease the OLB-problem a little bit. But the other issues can't be alleviated through the season, imho.
BTW, I forgot to look for a Bowman-replacement unless we like Bowman very much or Moody starts to improve lightning fast.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
1. Safety to take over for Bethea

2. Back up QB, maybe in rounds 3-5.....and for real this time!!!

3. NT - 2nd round preferably

4. DE - Behind Justin Smith is Tank Carradine, behind Carradine is ???????

1. WR, WR, WR - Bethea looks like a keeper. but I hope Crabtree is gone. New #1 priority.

2. Backup QB - good call

3. DE - Dorsey is re-signed for a couple more years, so the need is greater outside.

4. NT/OLB/S/OG/Swing OT - Best player available in this order of need.
I'm going to beat these three players into the heads of everyone of you. Shawn Oakman, P.J. Williams, Kevin White. Any of those three and I'd be a happy man.

Originally posted by communist:
given that the secondary has to gain some rhythm and the assumption that this part of the team will look a lot better then, here is my new list:
-pass-rushing DE
jonnydel told it after the Cards' film analysis: we don't have many quality pass-rushers, almost no one can beat a 1on1. That is not even poor but embarrasing. Justin Smith is one of the few who is disruptive in 1on1 but he is 35. Even if Tank could take over immediately, there is no one behind him in case of rotation or emergency. We need a 5-technique DE badly. I do like Hyde and I do think that we will profit by his abilites a lot in the next years but sometimes I think, why haven't we picked Tuitt instead. We need an immediate solution.

If we forget about the BPA approach, I expect us to pick one in:
Round 1-2
Can always use more pass rushing so wouldn't argue with this.
2)pass-rushing OLB
there is not much behind Aldon. We expected that Lemonier would provide way more damage to the opp QB than he has done so far. Lynch needs more time if he pans out at all and Brooks could become a cap casualty next year. Skuta is not a pass-rusher.

Target: Round 1-3
Same as above..."Pass rushing wanted--good pay, great hours."
3)safety-backup
Dahl is certainly not the answer and he could become a cap casualty as well. I don't sh... about McRay's abilites. And I don't know if we plan with Ward at Safety or not.

Target: Round 3-7
If they move Ward to CB, which I don't think is a good idea, this may need to be higher.
4)RB
I don't know how we could afford Gore next year given the salary cap pressure. I don't know about Lattimore's health and ability in the NFL. Another RB could and perhaps should be picked.

Target: Round 3-5
Depends on health but many teams pick RBs every year. If hunter comes back healthy they may be fine next year.
5)fast WR
Apparent, isn't it? put the "fast" away if Boldin, Crabtree and/or SJ leave. For now, we have Patton, Ellington, Boldin and SJ for the next year.

Target: anywhere
Big, fast, capable receivers are so rare I would hope they would jump if possible. Green and Watkins are my idea of prototypical WRs for today's game. I love Green...would love Bryant if he had his head screwed on right. Watkins isn't tall (6'1") but plays big.
6)backup QB
apparent as well.

Target: round 2-4
Not really sure what this team thinks about the back up QB spot. I realize Smith would have been too expensive and perhaps divisive (beyond his control to make it otherwise), but Gabbert is a real project and doesn't seem well suited for this scheme.
Yes, it means that we will have a Hyde/Tuitt-situation next year again on day one and/or two. BUT this is an at-the-moment-approach. Perhaps, Lemonier or Lynch pans out by the end of the season. This would ease the OLB-problem a little bit. But the other issues can't be alleviated through the season, imho.
BTW, I forgot to look for a Bowman-replacement unless we like Bowman very much or Moody starts to improve lightning fast.

Almost every position on this team has folks backing up who may become starters within a year or so. Tank, Lynch, Johnson (CB), Ward, Looney, M Martin, Ellington...just a really deep team but we don't know which of these will rise and which will fall.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
We've picked a running back all four years of Harbaugh's tenure. I don't think that will change. He'll pick up another RB despite Lattimore getting on the 53 later in the year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Let's be real: Best player available not playing: QB, RB, OT, MLB. To me, everything else is on the table.

Agree for the most part with this! My preference is a playmaker at WR or CB or both. They have young depth at CB so WR would be my #1, with a big strong receiver being preferable. They may have to trade up to get one but perhaps...? CBS has Coates (Auburn--6'1"), Cooper (Alabama--6'2") and Strong (Ariz. St. 6'4") listed in the top 22 prospects. And then there are a half dozen others who may be 1/2nd rounders. Haven't watched them all but Ty Montgomery is one of my favorites--being a Stanford fan!

Best player not playing QB? Um, I can't agree. I want at least one qb drafted.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Let's be real: Best player available not playing: QB, RB, OT, MLB. To me, everything else is on the table.

Agree for the most part with this! My preference is a playmaker at WR or CB or both. They have young depth at CB so WR would be my #1, with a big strong receiver being preferable. They may have to trade up to get one but perhaps...? CBS has Coates (Auburn--6'1"), Cooper (Alabama--6'2") and Strong (Ariz. St. 6'4") listed in the top 22 prospects. And then there are a half dozen others who may be 1/2nd rounders. Haven't watched them all but Ty Montgomery is one of my favorites--being a Stanford fan!

Best player not playing QB? Um, I can't agree. I want at least one qb drafted.

Agree with this but not in the first round. Now that they have really nifty WRs in Patton and Ellington, it would be great if they could get a big fast WR in the first or a NT/DL to eventually take over for Mac or Justin. They need to find a QB who is a late bloomer or at a small school, like Kaepernick, so they slide to a 3rd or 4th round spot. Of course, this presumes Harbaugh can't fix Gabbert.
Agree with this but not in the first round. Now that they have really nifty WRs in Patton and Ellington, it would be great if they could get a big fast WR in the first or a NT/DL to eventually take over for Mac or Justin. They need to find a QB who is a late bloomer or at a small school, like Kaepernick, so they slide to a 3rd or 4th round spot. Of course, this presumes Harbaugh can't fix Gabbert.

I wouldn't mind a first round QB if he's the best player available. Of course it'll never happen because QBs good enough to be the BPA in teh 1st round will get picked Top 5
Share 49ersWebzone