LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

2015 49ers Draft Needs

Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Pretty good comprehensive assessment of where the team stands now. I actually feel good about our receivers going into next season. I'm hoping we do not sign or trade for any veterans this offseason and just run with Stevie Johnson and Anquan Boldin as our most experienced guys next season. Then adding in two rookies and we should be good to go going forward. I expect better use of our guys in 2015 and our receivers actually being played to their strengths.

I think Trey Millard is supposed to be used in that Delanie Walker role, so I'd include him with the tight ends. We didn't see nearly as much as Carlos Hyde as I would've liked, but I have seen enough to feel confident in his ability to be a solid running back at worse in the future. I'd still sign Frank Gore because he wants to be here, can still play, and I wouldn't rely on Kendall Hunter (as much as i like him). Could we probably move on without him? I believe so, in terms of offensive production. We may even be more productive. But this team, in terms of veteran presence and leadership on offense is not ready to move on from Frank Gore. A draft pick is in order however. Duke Johnson is the guy IMO. We should also pick up a bruiser as an UDFA to put on the practice squad.

Spot on with the assessment of Kap. I'm not sure what the thought process was with Kap this year. But in terms of the offense that was run, they didn't do much to help him. I do want some better talent behind him, not just to push him, but also because I have no faith in Blaine Gabbert. Some are calling for this player to be drafted as high as the first round (absurd). I don't want a QB targeted higher than the 5th. Better scheme on offense or better play from Kap and this is a playoff team. Give us both and we're a Super Bowl contender.

I do disagree that defensive line help not being an immediate need. Although I think Tank and Dial have played well when given opportunities, the drop off will be noticeable when Justin Smith retires. I want another DE in the rotation and think this could be a target early in the draft.

At offensive tackle, once we get out salary cap in order, I'd like to sign a veteran that could back up both tackle positions. Jonathan Martin is ok, but after a year here, I'm expecting better in 2015.

I'm probably with you in the minority in wanting Boone back in 2015 and possibly long term. I really believe something wasn't right this year with him as well as other players and I'd expect them to return to form in 2015.

I agree with the underlined. This is why I have an OT much much higher on the need list than OG. I really think DE/DT is the biggest need because of the potential drop off if Justin retires or continues to slow down. Justin and Ray are getting old. Although Justin is good today, he isn't the player he was last year or from the year before. A close second is the QB position for me. We need to get another quality QB on the roster in case kap doesn't work out.

I can see why both of you would have DL ranked higher as a need. We have been spoiled by Justin Smith's dominance and Ray McDonald's steady play. I certainly wouldn't be upset if we grabbed a stud early. I just see it as more of a luxury right now. Based on the performance of our back-up defenders this year, I would be more confident going into next year with Dial, Ian Williams, Dorsey, and Tank having to play tons of minutes than I would if Patton or Ellington was the third receiver. Look at the positions side by side:

Boldin - Justin Smith: They both the stalwarts of their position groups. They have each seen a drop off in production this year, but Boldin's has been more dramatic. Granted, his production is based on the QB play, but it is still significant because the skills needed to be a WR in this league fade faster than the skills needed to be a DL. I still think Boldin can be closer to his 2013 self with a better offensive system, but I have more faith that Justin can get the job done. If this draft is about choosing an "heir apparent" to one of these guys, I would rather it be for Boldin.

Stevie Johnson - Ray McDonald: In the beginning of the season, there were moments when Stevie Johnson looked like the next #1 receiver for the team. He still has his elusiveness, and Kaep was starting to read his routes better. Ray McDonald started the year off surrounded by controversy and was quiet on the field. Since then, it has been McDonald making more noise. Still, they are both either in or at the end of their prime. There is no reason to suspect a drop off in production.

Bench WR - Bench DL: After our top two WRs we have two young guys with potential and little to no experience. Patton has one big catch on his resume but has been buried on the depth chart all year. Ellington has proven to be a serviceable KR/PR. Both of them lack elite size or speed. I love their work ethic and their personalities, but there is no evidence that either of them is about to break out next year. On the DL bench we have two NTs returning from injury, and two young guys cutting their teeth this year. Dorsey proved last year that he can be superb in stuffing the run and holds the point well. Ian Williams actually beat him out for the position in training camp, but has suffered two injuries in the past two years. Since it is not the knee, there is no reason to suspect Williams can't and won't recover enough to be in the mix. Dorsey's injury should have plenty of time to heal. Dial has seen the most action of the young guys and has played pretty well as the NT. He has also seen time at DE. While he lacks the pass rush ability of Smith or McDonald, he is stout and can regularly hold double teams. Carradine is just starting to get his minutes now. He showed his quickness in Seattle on one sack and he held up well the rest of the time. He still needs to improve his ability to hold the line and take up space, but I think he has already shown more than Patton or Ellington.

Ultimately, which scenario would scare you more: Starting Carradine, Williams, and Dial along the Defensive line or seeing Patton and Ellington as the top two receivers?
With Ray McDonald gone, DE is definitely a early round priority. I sure hope Tomsula stays too
[ Edited by jordanroberts88 on Dec 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM ]
So......DE guys?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So......DE guys?

DT/DE combos.
Still don't think DE is a huge need unless cowboy does end up retiring then yes. But let's all start sending Budweiser to justin smith.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Still don't think DE is a huge need unless cowboy does end up retiring then yes. But let's all start sending Budweiser to justin smith.

Or if one of them gets hurt.
Makes my mock draft look better... ...I mean...
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Makes my mock draft look better... ...I mean...

Almost finished my mock now this BS.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Almost finished my mock now this BS.

LOL! Always something! I was thinking that the niners might cut McDonald after the season and Justin might retire so tried to find replacements...trouble is, I couldn't imagine anyone replacing Cowboy except for a first rounder and a high pick for McDonald! So did the best I could and crossed my fingers they will develop quickly. Now they just have to talk JS into staying. If Tomsula stays...maybe?
  • Phil
  • Veteran
We need a better pocket passer from both the draft and FA to compete with Kap in a new system, a more complex system NOT designed around Kaepernicks unrefined passing game. A complex passing design with multiple options more in line with a horizontal WCO.

Need o line, d line as well especially now that Ray Mac is gone. I'd still like to see either a huge WR or small speedy one that can be either an endzone threat or a speedy threat that abuses zone and man coverage. Either one would help depending on the QB's field vision and mechanics/ball delivery. A small speedy guy won't really help our redzone issues with Kap though, so I lean to drafting a 6-5 beast with hands, doesn't need break neck speed. Just has to catch higher passes/jump balls. Taller WR's can also be deep threats because of their catch radius. Which Kap needs on deep balls. His accuracy is off and also lacks consistant arch to get over CB's.

Still not sure about Ward so drafting a true CB wouldn't hurt. Defense in general is playing better than the o, with better depth so I would think early on offensive positions will be targeted. QB/WR.... Maybe even RB and TE. Hunter is comming back and we still have Davis but....Gore is aging, may be gone after this season and McDonald isn't playing well as far as catching passes. Good blocker though.

I'd go:

QB
WR
O-line
D line
CB

OR

WR
QB
O-line
D-line
CB

and trade up to try and nab the best players in the first 3 rounds. No more injured players either.

If we get a WR in FA I'd draft o line earlier. It all depends how the draft unfolds as well. And what approach they take. And what's done in FA. The focus needs to be on our passing game. It sucks.

I've said it for some time that we needed to go DE. I haven't softened by stance on two receivers and a running back within the four rounds however. I guess it all depends on how the draft goes for running backs. If a running back can last until around the 57th pick, not likely, but if the top back did last that long as what happened last year, than we may be able to trade back, still land a decent DE and get enough skill position guys on offense that can contribute immediately next season. There is also the chance that the 49ers sign a veteran DE, but I prefer they bring in a rookie and perhaps another UDFA. Go into camp with Tank Carradine, two rookies, Kaleb Ramsey, Lawrenece Okoye, and Quinton Dial in competition for the starting position opposite of Justin Smith.
DL
OL
QB
WR/TE

In roughly that order but also mind BPA
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Dec 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM ]
I'm just curious, how come nobody is thinking about the following players?

Gerod Holliman FS Louisville (btw can he play CB too or is he strictly FS?)
Rashard Higgins WR Col. St.
Senquez Golson CB Ole Miss
Well, crap. I just wrote several detailed analyses about how we don't need DL as much as other positions. Last year I argued with people about why we didn't need an ILB in that draft. Apparently, I am a jinx.
Originally posted by Karma:
Well, crap. I just wrote several detailed analyses about how we don't need DL as much as other positions. Last year I argued with people about why we didn't need an ILB in that draft. Apparently, I am a jinx.

That's Karma
Share 49ersWebzone