There are 244 users in the forums

2015 49ers Draft Needs

Originally posted by bigwads:
1-OG
2-OG
3-34 DE
4-34 DE
5- WR

Our problems are greatly compounded by Baalke's horrible draft classes the past three years.

SMH.
Originally posted by English:
1-OG
2-OG
3-34 DE
4-34 DE
5- WR

Our problems are greatly compounded by Baalke's horrible draft classes the past three years.

SMH.

Seriously, How many picks are missed by the most successful GMs? A lot. How many great picks struggle on deep teams/how many crap players start for terrible teams? I wonder if it makes sense to people that talented rookies struggle to earn playing time ahead of talented veterans. The depth on this roster is beyond compare.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
1-OG
2-OG
3-34 DE
4-34 DE
5- WR

SMH.

Seriously, How many picks are missed by the most successful GMs? A lot. How many great picks struggle on deep teams/how many crap players start for terrible teams? I wonder if it makes sense to people that talented rookies struggle to earn playing time ahead of talented veterans. The depth on this roster is beyond compare.

LOL! Yes, Baalke is such a loser! Forget that he has earned the respect of the media gurus, he has also earned the respect of other GMs...but not all niner fans!

If Iupati leaves they have everyone else coming back...I believe he is the only FA this coming off season. So at least eight solid players (and Thomas) returning with great flexibility in positions means they can pick and choose in the draft and/or free agency. They will have four guys who can play center so I would like to see them pick up a G with the ability to play some T if necessary. That usually means taking a college LT in the middle rounds (best athlete).

Davis and Staley are locked up until 2020, M Martin and Thomas have four year rookie contracts, Boone and Looney are locked up for another year, even Farrell is locked up for a couple of years. So any change will be the coaches trying to improve spots they see as needing help...my guess being backup G. What a luxury!
1-OG
2-OG
3-34 DE
4-34 DE
5- WR

SMH.

What's interesting is that the people that want to slam Trent Baalke can name a pick here and there that he missed on, but not a single person can name a GM they would rather have in place of Baalke.
We have one glaring weakness on this team and it's on the offensive line. So much for having a sexy draft as I think we trade back and bone up on OL. Let's stop drafting players who are injured and focus on getting some good quality all around linemen who can come in and stop the bleeding.
Hunter back means probably Gore, Hyde, Hunter, Millard (backup fb). I don't know if we will draft a rb; we might not have to but it's an option.

Hard to say what the top need is we have guys we just don't know if they will step up.
That being said these are potential top needs: OL, WR, CB, DL (pass rush)
My second tier would be: Backup QB, 4th S, 5th OLB? (brooks/skuta back, if no lemonier), 4th ILB (if no Wilhoite/Moody), RB Depth?, K?
new coaches
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
1-OG
2-OG
3-34 DE
4-34 DE
5- WR

SMH.

What's interesting is that the people that want to slam Trent Baalke can name a pick here and there that he missed on, but not a single person can name a GM they would rather have in place of Baalke.

Let me say it again, OG, OG, 3-4 DE, 3-4 DE. If you are still trying to figure this out go watch the St. Louis game.

There are a number of key draft picks over the past few years that were absolute garbage. We needed people badly at positions and the right players were there to select, but Baalke didn't draft them. We are now reaping the rewards.

This is not a Baalke trashing thread per se, but only an acknowledgement that his last few drafts have indeed sucked. Whether you want to admit it or not, we are built on moves done prior to Baalke's hire.

Boone and Iupati will not be here next year (thank god), and we will be adding new OG's. We have one filled from last year, but he is another injury risk. We may only be drafting one OG and sign another in FA, but either way we will be redoing our OG's.

Baalke pissed away the perfect 3-4 DE in Tuitt last year who is now getting starting reps in Pitt or on Benjamin who may be the offensive rookie of the year. He pissed away the Jenkins pick that should have been used on Fleener.

With those two picks alone we are way ahead of where we are now. Baalke has done some great things, but what he hasn't done well is draft well over the last few years. It's not like anyone is looking to dump him, but merely acknowledge the missed opportunities.
Originally posted by znk916:
new coaches

Draft Dan Mullen as our OC. If Harbaugh is going to switch to a spread he might as well get a coordinator who can run it well.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
1-OG
2-OG
3-34 DE
4-34 DE
5- WR

SMH.

Let me say it again, OG, OG, 3-4 DE, 3-4 DE. If you are still trying to figure this out go watch the St. Louis game.

There are a number of key draft picks over the past few years that were absolute garbage. We needed people badly at positions and the right players were there to select, but Baalke didn't draft them. We are now reaping the rewards.

This is not a Baalke trashing thread per se, but only an acknowledgement that his last few drafts have indeed sucked. Whether you want to admit it or not, we are built on moves done prior to Baalke's hire.

Boone and Iupati will not be here next year (thank god), and we will be adding new OG's. We have one filled from last year, but he is another injury risk. We may only be drafting one OG and sign another in FA, but either way we will be redoing our OG's.

Baalke pissed away the perfect 3-4 DE in Tuitt last year who is now getting starting reps in Pitt or on Benjamin who may be the offensive rookie of the year. He pissed away the Jenkins pick that should have been used on Fleener.

With those two picks alone we are way ahead of where we are now. Baalke has done some great things, but what he hasn't done well is draft well over the last few years. It's not like anyone is looking to dump him, but merely acknowledge the missed opportunities.

Calm down on Baalke. Billw Walsh was a genius. He spent his 1st draft pick on a RB, I believe it was the 1st pick of the 2nd rd. Same as a late 1st rounder. He could not play RB so they tried to make him a safety. Then gave up and he was a kick returner for a couple of years and then released.

Then he picked Earl Cooper in the 1st round. A FB who was swtiched to TE and then later released. Every GM has misses.

Under Baalke we drafted players like Iupati and Davis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith and Kap and Eric Reid. 2012 was terrible and 2013 looking so so but our draft this year was pretty good. Yes , I would have traded back from rd 1 and drafted Tuitt middle rd 2 but our picks after that look pretty good and Ward is hardly a bust. Hyde looks like a pretty good RB. Martin shows promise at Center and Borland looked pretty good a ILB. Thomas is unknown. Ellington and Johnson look like pretty good players for 4th rd picks and Llynch was a steal in the 5th rd. The others we won't see till next year.

Baalke is also a great draft manipulator. Rd 2 2013 he moved back 6 spots and picked up a 3rd rd pick. Then later in the rd he moved up 5 spots and paid a 6th rd pick.

He moved up in RD 1 to get Reid 13 spots and paid a 3rd rd pick.That's unheard of. That kind of move usually costs a minimum of a 2nd rounder.

This past draft in rd 2 he moved back and gained 4th and 5th rd picks and then used the 5th rd pick to move back up to 1 slot after the origonal pick. In the end we drafted 1 slot later and gained a 4th rd pick. Not bad.

He also traded for Anquan Boldin and Stevie Johnson, 4th and 6th rd picks, not bad. Signed our NT as a free agent who has played well until he was injured. Bethea has been an upgrade at safey. Lloyd was a good signing.....

Pick any team or any GM and you will see draft busts and players they should have drafted in hindsight. Bill Walsh, Bill Parcels, Jimmy Johnson all multiple superbowl winners had them.

Overall he has done a pretty good job.

CB- Need a stud to come in and be good from the start. Culliver is not a starter and Brock is always hurt. Johnson, our rookie corner out of South Carolina has impressed me so far and I think can start next year.

WR-I want the kid out of Oklahoma, Cooper. That kid is a beast

OL- Need guys that are not just big, but that can run zone blocking schemes for whats going to be a better offense next year when Roman and Harbaugh are gone. WEST COAST OFFENSE!

DL- I dont think we need help here. We have Lynch, Smith, Dial and Carradine. All those guys can rush the passer and Lynch is the perfect compliment to Smith. Carradine can woop a guards ass on a consistent basis and both Williams and Dorsey are solid. Idk Maybe im wrong but I think we are good here. If anything draft one guy for depth.

RB- I hate to say it but I think Frank the Tank is gone next year. If he is we need to draft a running back and if hes not gone this no longer becomes a position of need.

MLB- Need depth if anything
Thats my take on it but we will see.
For me 2015 49er Draft needs are

#1 Pass Rusher to go with Aldon & Lynch
#2 Deep Threat WR. (Defenses are squatting our very predictable passing game)
#3 Offensive Line (OG/C/OT)Brandon Thomas & Martin can go a long way to fixing this problem if they produce.
#4 CB (True CB) Perrish Cox will get paid somewhere and Brock got paid and gave up and Ward is a safety
#5 RB with size and speed to Back up Hyde and start if needed because Kendall coming off a knee and Gore is DONE
#6 DT/NT to get taught by the BEST JUSTIN SMITH
Offensive line
Running back
2nd string qb
After that I don't much care.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
For me 2015 49er Draft needs are

#1 Pass Rusher to go with Aldon & Lynch
#2 Deep Threat WR. (Defenses are squatting our very predictable passing game)
#3 Offensive Line (OG/C/OT)Brandon Thomas & Martin can go a long way to fixing this problem if they produce.
#4 CB (True CB) Perrish Cox will get paid somewhere and Brock got paid and gave up and Ward is a safety
#5 RB with size and speed to Back up Hyde and start if needed because Kendall coming off a knee and Gore is DONE
#6 DT/NT to get taught by the BEST JUSTIN SMITH

I can agree with most of this list. Pass rusher is the number one need and it is a position I am ok with Baalke moving up for. We are replacing Justin Smith, but I think we should think about replacing Ray McDonald as well. I've been calling for your number two for years. To get a guy that has starting capability would take a first or second round pick. I am not sure if we'd have to draft capital if we move up for a 3-4 DE, but if the team is willing to roll the dice, I say go for it. I don't think our number 3 is as big of a need as people think. The regression in the this line leads me to believe this is more on coaching than the players. I'm ok with Brock and Cox as our starters (if Cox resigns). But I am of the opinion you should draft a CB every year, just because lol.

I prefer a running back more in the mold of Ameer Abdullah or Duke Johnson. We probably will need another big bodied running back with Marcus Lattimore's retirement. But the group of Gore (if resigned), Hyde, Hunter, Abdullah/Johnson is ok with me.

We also do need another 3-4 OLB, which is what you probably were referring to when you said pass rusher. Maybe we will get lucky and can find another gem late in the draft.

I think we can stand pat with our first round pick this year and take the best WR available. We can also use perhaps a mid-round pick (3rd) along with a 2016 first to move back into the first to get another 3-4 DE. Fact is, we need impact players and we can make some trades that will night require a boatload of picks that can give us and extra pick in the low 20s or even high 20s where we can add guys that are able to start on day one. This is especially true on offense with receiver, because clearly we have to get guys that can overcome the limitations of the coaching staff.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Calm down on Baalke. Billw Walsh was a genius. He spent his 1st draft pick on a RB, I believe it was the 1st pick of the 2nd rd. Same as a late 1st rounder. He could not play RB so they tried to make him a safety. Then gave up and he was a kick returner for a couple of years and then released.

Yes, but you left out that in that same first draft (1979) He drafted a guy named Montana in the 3rd round and another named Clark in the 10 round! LOL! Tenth round cracks me up! How many players picked ahead of him? Lets see...9 times...
Share 49ersWebzone