• DeUh
  • Veteran
RB
Mike Davis
Height 5-9
Weight 217
South Carolina #28

Skill Set Summary

Davis is a power back in the mold of Carlos Hyde or Frank Gore. The junior is a physical runner who can run over defenders or carry them on his back as he picks up extra yards. He is a downhill runner who is capable of a big work load.

Davis has a good burst to hit the hole before it opens and accelerates to the second level of the defense. He has a nice gear to break into the open field, but he doesnt have breakaway speed to score on any carry. Davis has surprising quickness for a big runner and can pull away from some defenders, but NFL defensive backs will be able to chase him down at times.

The power with which Davis runs with is very impressive. He racks up yards after contact as defenders struggle to get a hold of him. Davis also finishes his runs well to plow forward for extra yards. He is an asset in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

One of Davis' best assets for the NFL is his receiving ability. He is superb on screen passes and check downs. South Carolina went to screens often in 2013, and Davis bailed them out of some bad down-and-distance situations. He does a nice job of catching the ball and setting up his blocks before ripping off yards in the open field.

For the NFL, Davis will have to learn pass protection, but from a skill-set perspective, he looks ready to be a quick starter and immediate contributor for his NFL team - assuming he stays healthy in 2014.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015mdavis.php

Highlight Tape

[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM ]
First thing I thought when I saw him play:Frank Gore Jr.
Kid has some skills
Might as well, 49ers turning into South Carolina West.
He doesn't get the hype that Lattimore got, but this kid is a stud. As a bonus, he has the top end acceleration that Lattimore never had. Kid is a beast.
  • evil
  • Veteran
He was real fun to watch last year....can anyone find any broken tackle stats for him and how he stacked up vs the rest of the nation ?
Will be checking him out. I believe we'll probably draft yet another running back, if for no other reason than we've drafted one every year since 2009 lol. But in al seriousness, I do think we need to try to add the homerun threat (again) to our backfield. LaMichael James will be entering the final year of his deal next season and he is a player I'd say we have next to no chance of resigning and I don't think the 49ers even want to. Especially since they intend on keeping Kendall Hunter .
I have him as my #6 RB, putting him around a 4th round, possibly 3rd round grade.

He is very NFL-ready, polished player. I'd compare him to Zac Stacy (which if you follow my draft talk was one of my favorite gems in the draft ). Mike Davis is a very smart RB. I think an NFL OC is going to trust him very easily.

His weakness is his speed. He doesn't have that extra gear to hit to be a homerun threat, but that's not everything in the NFL (hell look at Gore).

edit: Actually as I post this I'd probably move him up to #4 on my pre-season RB list, but oh well, have a whole season for corrections
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM ]
This kid is a stud. 3rd round would make him an outrageous steal.
Originally posted by Ray_Dogg:
This kid is a stud. 3rd round would make him an outrageous steal.

A couple years ago, yeah

RB's just don't hold the same value in the draft
2014: - no RB's in 1st, first 3 taken at end of 2nd
2013: no RB's in 1st, 5 taken in 2nd
2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson in 1st, 2 taken in 2nd round
2011 - 1 RB in 1st, 4 in 2nd
2010 - 3 RB in 1st, 3 in 2nd

This year, if they come out, I have Gurley and Gordon as 1st round RBs. Ajayi, Marshall and Yeldon I have slotted in the 2nd, but as I said, I expect to move Davis above to the 4th spot, after Ajayi.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
A couple years ago, yeah

RB's just don't hold the same value in the draft
2014: - no RB's in 1st, first 3 taken at end of 2nd
2013: no RB's in 1st, 5 taken in 2nd
2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson in 1st, 2 taken in 2nd round
2011 - 1 RB in 1st, 4 in 2nd
2010 - 3 RB in 1st, 3 in 2nd

This year, if they come out, I have Gurley and Gordon as 1st round RBs. Ajayi, Marshall and Yeldon I have slotted in the 2nd, but as I said, I expect to move Davis above to the 4th spot, after Ajayi.

Gordon and Hyde as our RB tandem in 2015 would make me happy in the pants. Still a long way to go but just sayin'.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Reserved For Stats.
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Will enter 2015 NFL Draft.
I am still traumatized after drafting Lattimore idk if i ever want us to draft another back from that school ever again. Still bummed out he called it a career.

He definitely has developed a pattern of taking himself out of games. With Hyde and possibly Gore returning, I would rather use a pick on a legit burner.
Share 49ersWebzone