There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Suplamental draft ?

Originally posted by jimrat:
Inside Carolina, a UNC scout.com message board, is reporting that sources have told them linebacker Darius Lipford is headed to San Francisco on Monday, and plans on signing with the 49ers. They have indicated they will have more details in the next day, so we'll keep an eye out.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/10/5889273/nfl-supplemental-draft-rumors-darius-lipford-49ers

Nice. Here's NFLDraftScout's take on him:

LB Darius Lipford, North Carolina (6-3, 245, 4.77):

Lipford signed with UNC as a highly regarded prep prospect and earned immediate playing time, seeing action in 11 games and even starting once in 2010. He enjoyed his best collegiate season as a sophomore, emerging as the Tar Heels' starting strongside linebacker late in the year and recording 42 tackles, including 1.5 for loss. Lipford tore the ACL in his left knee in UNC's Independence Bowl loss to Missouri and missed the entire 2012 campaign. He returned to play at the Bandit linebacker position for the Tar Heels last season, generating six tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks among his 20 stops. Lipford's length and athleticism earned him the nickname "Freak" by teammates at North Carolina but he never developed as expected, in part due to average instincts. He is a fluid, explosive athlete with clear upside and therefore could warrant a late round selection if teams are comfortable with his medical report.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore but I still marvel at these type of moves that Baalke routinely makes. It's like these players suddenly appear out of thin air that are being looked at by the 49ers. He is a shrewd sneaky GM. Lipford's height, weight seem pretty similar to Ahmad Brooks. I wonder if his playing style is similar. Hopefully he turns out to be one of those undiscovered talents that just develops into a solid dude and if nothing else becomes just more added depth to the team.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
all still unsigned, huh?