LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Vic Hampton-South Carolina-Remains unsigned.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
I honestly thought this guy was gonna be drafted by the 9ers in the 5th-7th rounds. He seemed like a player the 9ers would take a chance on.

He wasn't injured, though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I honestly thought this guy was gonna be drafted by the 9ers in the 5th-7th rounds. He seemed like a player the 9ers would take a chance on.

I meant cause of his off-field issues and falling they could've took a chance on him.
Originally posted by English:

I don't understand how people like jerry rice jr or chase thomas get a workout but not this guy. I understand he has some issues, but at least give him a workout. I think he would be a great practice squad guy
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
I don't understand how people like jerry rice jr or chase thomas get a workout but not this guy. I understand he has some issues, but at least give him a workout. I think he would be a great practice squad guy

I think that if an underclassmen doesn't get drafted, he should have the option to return to college (either his previous school or somewhere else). He can learn from the process, clean some things up, hopefully have a better season then re-apply for the draft the next year. IMO, there's absolutely no reason to punish someone who still has college eligibility just because they took a chance on the professional ranks.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think that if an underclassmen doesn't get drafted, he should have the option to return to college (either his previous school or somewhere else). He can learn from the process, clean some things up, hopefully have a better season then re-apply for the draft the next year. IMO, there's absolutely no reason to punish someone who still has college eligibility just because they took a chance on the professional ranks.

That would be nice. Because of the depth of this draft, I bet there are a lot of players who regret leaving early. I also wish the NFL had some sort of D League. There are too many stories of players getting called while working at a grocery store.

I hope the new director of football operations follows through with this idea
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24542582/nfl-executive-troy-vincent-nfl-needs-a-developmental-league

Actually letting them go back to college makes a lot of sense. As for not being drafted. A short slow CB is not in demand. 5'9" with a 4.69 40. That's a 4.7 40 yd dash. Possession receivers could burn him deep. I have heard of big 4.6 CB's but not small 4.7 CB's. Add to that all the character flags and I wonder why anyone thought he would be drafted.

I don't know if I would want to bring him in. We would have to cut a player to make room. I don't see a future for a short slow CB on our team even without the red flags and those red flags make it a absolute no.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Actually letting them go back to college makes a lot of sense. As for not being drafted. A short slow CB is not in demand. 5'9" with a 4.69 40. That's a 4.7 40 yd dash. Possession receivers could burn him deep. I have heard of big 4.6 CB's but not small 4.7 CB's. Add to that all the character flags and I wonder why anyone thought he would be drafted.

I don't know if I would want to bring him in. We would have to cut a player to make room. I don't see a future for a short slow CB on our team even without the red flags and those red flags make it a absolute no.

He had decent production in college, whereas Rice Jr did absolutely nothing against weak competition. I'm not saying he should make the 90 man roster, but that he should get a workout somewhere.

His combine cone drill and shuttle times (indicating short area quickness) weren't bad at all (top 10-15), which leads one to believe he could be an effective nickel CB. With his physicality and cover skills, he could definitely play SS, though it might take him a few years to learn the position as he considers himself a CB. IMO though, he could help a team immediately on special teams and at nickel CB.

If anyone is interested, check out the game last year at Missouri where he was all over the 6'6" Dorial Green-Beckham...DGB had his worst game of the season (1 catch for 6 yards) and Hampton was a big reason for that. No doubt this kid can play, but he needs a chance.

He had decent production in college, whereas Rice Jr did absolutely nothing against weak competition. I'm not saying he should make the 90 man roster, but that he should get a workout somewhere.
Rice Jr. sounds like more of an homage to his father. Unless Hampton is going to become faster then what's the point. He's too slow for a big CB let alone a small one. Then you add all those red flags. When you have his measurables you need to be a very high character guy just to have a shot not someone with so many red flags.

Rice Jr. sounds like more of an homage to his father. Unless Hampton is going to become faster then what's the point. He's too slow for a big CB let alone a small one. Then you add all those red flags. When you have his measurables you need to be a very high character guy just to have a shot not someone with so many red flags.

I don't place a lot in the 40 times. I agree it's a bad time for his size, but he seems to have decent speed in the games I have watched of him. I know he has some red flags but I still think he should at least get a shot from one teams 90 man roster

Agreed about Rice. 40 times aren't as relevant for nickel CBs since you're less often chasing guys 40 yards down field and more often making plays 5-15 yards from the line of scrimmage. In fact, the Panthers drafted someone in the 5th round very much like Hampton, the 5'10", Bene Benwikere from SJSU, who ran a 4.63 forty at the combine. Carolina even traded up to get Bene and he's only an inch taller, ran only slightly faster but has shorter arms and played lesser competition than Hampton.

So there's definitely a place in this league for smaller, slower DBs.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM ]

Agreed about Rice. 40 times aren't as relevant for nickel CBs since you're less often chasing guys 40 yards down field and more often making plays 5-15 yards from the line of scrimmage. In fact, the Panthers drafted someone in the 5th round very much like Hampton, the 5'10", Bene Benwikere from SJSU, who ran a 4.63 forty at the combine. Carolina even traded up to get Bene and he's only an inch taller, ran only slightly faster but has shorter arms and played lesser competition than Hampton.

So there's definitely a place in this league for smaller, slower DBs.

Interesting about Benwikere. I know there is a difference between quickness and speed and if you have quickness that could suffice. If Hampton has quickness that could be enough but I don't see him here. We drafted 2 CB's ( 4th & 6th rd) plus 1 for the pup list (5th rd), and our 1st rd pick can play nickel CB as well. Add that to Brock and Culliver, add that to Cook, Wright, Cox, Morris and we are very crowded at the CB position. Now add his red flags and I can't see waiving our 6th rd pick or Cook/Wright or Cox/Morris for Hampton even if he played well in preseason. All those red flags.
Just so everybody knows this,
Vic Hampton is faster than a 4.7 40. He ran around a 4.5 during his time at SC (I'll find a link)

The issue isn't whether or not this guy has speed, he does.
the issue is that he doesn't take care of himself and that he might be out of shape (combine website says he got up to around 215 at one point in his career)
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by LVJay:
With or w/out Roman/Fangio?

I'll keep Fangio.. but not Roman

Okay. Tell him to pack up and go with that Elite-College-Style offense.

Wait a minute, you're the HC so, why do you allow him to run that system in the pros
Share 49ersWebzone