LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Vic Hampton-South Carolina-Remains unsigned.

I'm actually surprised by this, seems like a particularly bad year to have background issues. Hampton is a very talented, physical, tough as nails nickel corner that could fit with a lot of teams but thus far remains unsigned due to character concerns. I wonder if he would be worth a look, even just to bring in a special teams contributor. Maybe having him on the team along with Lattimore and Ellington would help keep him in check.

First, he was wanted for questioning about an April assault at a New York City nightclub. He was cleared of any wrongdoing in that case, but he feels like the two weeks the issue took to be handled cost him.

"That was something I didn't need by my name associated with even if I was innocent I guess," he said.

He also knows being arrested and charged with disorderly conduct after an argument with his sister in April was a bad look.

"It scared some teams I guess," he said.

Hampton was told by the NFL's underclassman advisory committee that he would be selected in the second or third round of the draft, and his agents at Relativity Sports were equally certain he would be drafted, he said. ESPN analyst Todd McShay graded Hampton "a fourth- or fifth-round" pick.

Instead, Hampton watched through seven rounds without a word, wondering if he made a mistake by giving up his final year of eligibility at South Carolina to enter this year's draft.

"It was very tough," he said. "All I could do was sit and watch those guys' names get called."

NFL teams have proven very forgiving of players' transgressions in many cases, but this was the wrong year to be counting on that because of the depth of this draft, McShay said Monday. A record 89 underclassmen entered this year's draft and 36 of them went undrafted.

"I think really it all comes down to this: when you're 5-foot-9 and you run a 4.69 (40-yard dash) and you've got some intangible issues with the academic issues and the suspensions and so on and so forth, it adds up," McShay said. "Teams this year, especially when there was so much depth in this draft class, teams just weren't willing to use draft picks on players if they had enough issues in terms of measurables or intangibles. Those are kind of the red flags. I just think there were enough red flags there that he ended up falling."

Hampton's 40-yard dash time probably was his biggest on-field weakness, McShay said.

"When you don't have size and you don't have speed, it's obviously a big concern," McShay said.

Hampton attended four high schools and had a scholarship offer from the University of Florida withdrawn partially for disciplinary issues. At South Carolina, he has acknowledged, he was close to being dismissed from the team on two occasions. In 2011, he was suspended for the first three games for a violation of team rules, and he did not start against Georgia or Wisconsin last season for separate violations of team rules.

"I just have to stay positive and continue to work and continue to pray about the situation," he said.

Despite his missteps, Hampton started 22 games in his final two seasons at South Carolina and had 91 tackles, 13 pass breakups and four interceptions in that time.

"It's a huge mountain that he has to climb, but he has enough talent and enough play-making ability that he can do it and he can contribute in the league," McShay said.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/05/12/596284/victor-hampton-remains-confident.html
Lets pair him with fellow alumni Chris Culliver in the secondary.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Lets pair him with fellow alumni Chris Culliver in the secondary.

49ers gonna be University of South Carolina-West.
isn't Marcus Roberson out of UF still out there sitting and waiting also?
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

He signed with the Rams.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He signed with the Rams.

what about his cb mate Louis Purifoy?

Bears I think.
Hmm that is surprising. Pick him up!
Four different high schools? Lost a college scholarship. Almost kicked off the college team twice. Didn't start a couple of games because of breaking team rules. Almost arrested.

But...he is going to continue to pray about the situation!

We see where that's gotten you so far. I dunno, maybe it's time to just stop being a f*ck up?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
MadDog actually called this - he removed Hampton from his draft board because of his speed, height, and off-field issues.
Originally posted by GEEK:
MadDog actually called this - he removed Hampton from his draft board because of his speed, height, and off-field issues.

I think everyone pretty much called him as going undrafted after the assault incident, even if he was ultimately cleared, what I'm shocked about is that he hasn't even been brought in for a tryout the way the Packers brought in Lyerla.
Seems like the kid can play and I'm willing to give him a pass on his low 40 time. However, I don't trust him to make uplifting decisions as a pro.

That being said, perhaps going undrafted has scared Hampton straight. Still, the fact that we've drafted 3 players at CB means he'll have to find an opportunity with another team.
5'9 -- 4.69 40 -- don't see how he even hopes to play in the NFL. Shoot, that is almost OL speed, lol.

For that matter, look at OLB Sam on the Rams - with those combine measurables why would he be drafter at all - there were UFA available with better upside.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Bears I think.

Colts.

Also the Packers are giving Lyerla a tryout.
Share 49ersWebzone