LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

The Boom And Bust

• xcfan
  • Veteran
a lean davis will be a mean davis
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Belldozer will replace mr chisled-from-granite (hands included) mcdonald after it becomes clear the rookie can make contested catches.
"Busta" Anderson
Originally posted by xcfan:
Belldozer will replace mr chisled-from-granite (hands included) mcdonald after it becomes clear the rookie can make contested catches.

I know the zone has written McDonald off and who knows, you could all be right. But I want to see him working with a good TE coach and playing to his strengths in a system with good playcalling and well designed plays. If he can't flourish then, I will agree with you.
Booms:
1.) Jaquiski Tartt - Will become a punishing safety and tough cover man
2.) DeAndre Smelter - Second coming of Anquan
3.) Eli Harold - Speed off the edge to compliment Lynch
4.) Blake Bell - Has Jason Witten potential
5.) Trent Brown - Eventual starter and mauler at RG
UDFAs: Patrick Miller and Jermain Whitehead - The two War Eagles have a lot of skill and played in big games at the highest level

Busts:
1.) Arik Armstead - All the skills in the world, but I don't believe he has the right temperament to be a defensive start in the NFL
2.) Mike Davis - Love Mike, but I have a feeling he's not going to pan out for some reason
3.) Busta Anderson - I worry about his hands
4.) Ian Silberman - Doesn't seem athletic enough to play in the league
5.) Bradley Pinion - You're just asking for a bust when you draft a punter in the 5th round
UDFAs: The rest of them
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 7, 2015 at 1:36 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
If forced to by a rookie Jersey today, I'd go with....

Blake Bell, TE
  • REB4
Originally posted by English:

I know the zone has written McDonald off and who knows, you could all be right. But I want to see him working with a good TE coach and playing to his strengths in a system with good playcalling and well designed plays. If he can't flourish then, I will agree with you.

Actually have to disagree with you. Coaching at this level is more on concepts, advanced techniques, team scheme. How to catch a football isn't & shouldn't be something he needs to get from NFL coaching. That's something he needs to work on in the off-season, before practice, after practice & self-help/doing focus exercises. Bad draft pick, ANOTHER REACH that didn't work out considering there were higher rated TEs still on the board. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:te
Boom: Blake bell
Bust: Silberman 16 reps of 225 for an o-lineman says it all
Originally posted by REB4:
Originally posted by English:

Actually have to disagree with you. Coaching at this level is more on concepts, advanced techniques, team scheme. How to catch a football isn't & shouldn't be something he needs to get from NFL coaching. That's something he needs to work on in the off-season, before practice, after practice & self-help/doing focus exercises. Bad draft pick, ANOTHER REACH that didn't work out considering there were higher rated TEs still on the board. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:te

I think McDonald will turn out OK. He is a good blocker, but they almost NEVER threw him the ball. He got ~10-20 targets all year and dropped 2-3, so people write him off?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
BOOM = after the 4th game, the #1 selling jersey in the NFL will be #44!!! The BELLDOZER!!!

BUST = every CBs we have, I expect them to be mediocre...

Originally posted by 9moon:
BOOM = after the 4th game, the #1 selling jersey in the NFL will be #44!!! The BELLDOZER!!!

Good call

And people say the same thing every year yet we are constantly ranked top 10 in pass defense.
People had doubts about Cully/Cox- look how that turned out

People originally had doubts about Rogers and Brown, look how they did

Many people were unsure that Bethea would fit in our system, he was probably the MVP of our defense last season

Every year we have developing CBs or "unproven talent"- and every year we have a great pass defense due to our pass rush.
Its better to get after the QB and make him force throws, than to give him all the time in the world and hope your CBs can cover the worlds best athletes for 5-10 seconds
[ Edited by Quest4six on May 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I say this ( BUST = to all our CBs) simply because we do not have the great FRONT 7 that we used to..

those players that you mentioned, from TBrown & Rogers to Cully and Cox, they all benefited from the front 7 we have now.. Also, those guys are veterans, Cully in his 3rd or 4th year was the youngest who started..

But look who we have now, you have to AGREE to the fact that they all are UNPROVEN COMMODITY... and with a lesser talent in our FRONT 7 this year, these kids are going to learn the hard way...

.. and I for one, really never called our secondary "unproven talent" the last 6 years..
I say this ( BUST = to all our CBs) simply because we do not have the great FRONT 7 that we used to..

those players that you mentioned, from TBrown & Rogers to Cully and Cox, they all benefited from the front 7 we have now.. Also, those guys are veterans, Cully in his 3rd or 4th year was the youngest who started..

But look who we have now, you have to AGREE to the fact that they all are UNPROVEN COMMODITY... and with a lesser talent in our FRONT 7 this year, these kids are going to learn the hard way...

.. and I for one, really never called our secondary "unproven talent" the last 6 years..

I think the biggest question is not the talent, it is the new DB coach and the D coordinator. I also think the D line is good. Jim T was the line coach and he feels this years talent and depth, even w/o Justin is the best they had.

Idk man. If Cowboy comes back you're really only lost two players in our front 7 from TWO years ago. Ray Mac and Willis. Your replacing Ray Mac with either Dockett, tank, AA or dial I like my odds of one guy emerging there. Wilhoite is solid, not great. One can argue our passrush maybe better because we get Aldon and Lynch starting together from day 1. Hopefully both Ian and Dorsey can just stay healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone