There are 196 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Boom And Bust

Who do you think will make the most impact and who will become a disappointment?

Boom: Bruce Elington. With no deep threats I believe he will have playing time this year. With our run heavy O he will get open with ease.

Bust: Carlos Hyde. Love his toughness and not bad speed at all, but if there is a bust in our draft it would be Hyde with a loaded back field leaving him with limited snaps and power not all ways translating into the NFL having to push DEs, LBs that are now 20+ Lbs heavier
This will be an excellent "I told you" thread
You can all mock me ruthlessly in a couple years when I'm wrong

Boom: Ward, Martin

Average: Hyde (will be splitting carries), Borland, Johnson, Thomas, Millard (will be buried in the depth chart)

Bust: Ellington, Lynch, Reaser, Ramsey
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on May 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM ]
I'm not expecting much from Ellington. Doesn't have much on LMJ as a returner; doesn't have anything on Patton as a receiver IMO.

BOOM: Marcus Martin. I think he might even be able to start as a rookie he's so naturally strong. By the way, is Marcus Martin now the youngest player in the NFL? I can't find anyone younger. Brandin Cooks is like a month older than Martin, and he's the 2nd-youngest I've found.
BOOM: Martin, Lynch, Ramsey, Thomas

BUST: Hyde - Not trying to pick on him, but if I had to pick a bust I would have to go with the running back in a crowded backfield.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Too many LBs/CBs -- bust will come from one or more (not making the 53). I can't really call bust on any of the rooks that make the 53 until we see enough (is enough).

Mock Boom - Ward (immediate starter/in on most plays).

Mock Bust - Ramsey (who is he going to bump off the rotation)... might be riding pine all season if he sticks.
Boom- Ward. Football player written all over him. Will play like a vet.
Bust- Lynch. Won't have the moves necessary to rush the passer this year.
It's not exactly a 'bust" if a rookie doesn't play a lot his first year, especially a later round pick like Ramsey or Lynch. Guys like that play a lot for crap teams, not the Niners!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I'm gonna go Boom- Jimmy Ward
Bust - Bruce Ellington-=Kyle Williams 2.0
Originally posted by LVJay:
Too many LBs/CBs -- bust will come from one or more (not making the 53). I can't really call bust on any of the rooks that make the 53 until we see enough (is enough).

Mock Boom - Ward (immediate starter/in on most plays).

Mock Bust - Ramsey (who is he going to bump off the rotation)... might be riding pine all season if he sticks.

Who did RJF bump off the roster when he was drafted? I think the plan for a guy like Ramsey is to put him on the practice squad for a season or two, similar to RJF, TJE and Ian Williams and then bring him up to the active roster.

Not sure you can ever consider a 7th rounder a "bust" either, the success rate of those picks has to be under 10% considering how many are out of the NFL within a season.
Originally posted by jimrat:

Terrible comparison.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Bust - Jimmie Ward

Boom - Shane Skov

Dont know why,just living life on the wild side today.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimrat:

Terrible comparison.

DGAF
Boom - Carlos Hyde, he'll get a series and pound and pound and get more PT. Young Legs.
Boom=Lynch, Martin

Bust=Hyde

IF I had to pick a bust and only because I am concerned that I can not find a single highlight of him running out of a formation other than pistol and usually through a gaping hole, though I have been impressed by some of the small holes he was able to shrink through, being as big as he is. They were few and far between though.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM ]