LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 306 users in the forums

Why the 2012 Draft was a big fail.

2012 has some signs that we got too cocky from 2011. Overconfidence usually comes with a dose of prior luck.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by Clarity:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Not really sure how that post was confusing...
I thought we drafted some great talent, it just didn't pan out.

(I'm not saying it wasn't Baalke's fault, but he isn't the only person to blame)

Um. Yes it still was in his control so you're wrong.

He had a bad draft and that's a fact but he's been a great GM and done an amazing job.

You don't have to defend him all the time because no GM drafts well every year.

So you are saying that the 2012 draft was 100% Baalke's fault?
Do you know the how the process of drafting a player works?

No one is saying that Baalke is 100% at fault for the 2012 draft, but he is in charge, and the bottom line is the person in charge is responsible.

Everyone involved in the draft works for him. He is responsible for the people he hires and the work they do.

Not too complicated, if you ask me.

This guy is saying that.
The post this clarity guy failed to quote before this one spurred this conversation.
This conversation was based on a discussion I had with another poster about how the thread maker failed to spread the blame on those whom are responsible, instead of just focusing on Baalke.

I get he is responsible for the draft, but how a player does after the draft isn't all Baalke's fault.
Nobody knows, not even HarBaalke, why the 2012 draft was a fail. Sometimes, s**t doesn't go the way you planned, and there could be (and often is) a myriad of reasons for that. However, it's in our nature to assign blame and often in the most simplistic ways, instead of understanding the nuances that go into both the decision making process and the variables in play that ultimately produce the final results.

We want/need black and white versions of the story when the vast majority of events in this world are grayish.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry=A proverbial expression used to signify the futility of making detailed plans when the outcome is uncertain.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]
I bet the insiders know why it was a fail. Someone's opinion on something was listened to and it turned out to be wrong so a guy got drafted. The insider know where it went wrong. We just know that it did go wrong.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
2012 was a terrible draft luckily it was sandwiched between 2 amazing drafts.

...it was a really bad draft. Cost us a superbowl.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
2012 was a terrible draft luckily it was sandwiched between 2 amazing drafts.

...it was a really bad draft. Cost us a superbowl.

The first 2 picks they picked for SPEED which we did in fact need and still do need. But...... they went wrong IMO because they didn't pick "football players." Like 2014 is just football player after football player and they didn't worry much about combine workouts or speed. I think they were trying to push for speed in 2012 and forced the issue for quick and fast and combine workouts. Rather than big, physical, "football player" types who really make up this team. Those have been some of the more successful drafts we have had. Just picking "football players" if you will.

Yes we did and still do need speed. I would like to get it. But you can't lose site of who is a player and who has physicality or not. Who will be strong and physical at the next level. Those things are all more important. It's basically on the tape and in the production.

AJ Jenkins had some good highlights but if you watch him he was just good at going deep and in college his speed was overwhelming. Speed caught up to him in the pros. He is not very physical and struggled with contact and getting off the line. LaMichael was fast at a college program but the speed of the NFL caught up to him. Plus he is tiny by NFL standards and I don't think holds up to the physicality of the game real well.

Carlos Hyde is the opposite. Just a big bulldozer. We didn't worry much about his 40 time. But if you watch the games it's obvious he can play. We picked a "football player" there. Which I think is what you want to do 9 times out of 10 at least.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Two picks in the top 100. Compare that to this year (six) or 2013 (four), Having two good chances to get what you need leads to reaches and bad decisions. Just the way it is. Plus, Darius Flemming had a lot of talent but injuries limited his ability to earn a spot, Cam Johnson was just odd man out due to injury and stacked D, Looney still on team, and sixth rounders seldom become stars on a stacked team. It's silly to use this draft as a condemnation without looking at context--trades, etc.

This is a big, big part of it. If you only have 2 picks in the top 100 you are kind of doomed for failure. It's almost inevitable that this year some of those guys will work out. Because we had 6 of them. No doubt some will miss too. But if you have 6 of them some will work well. It's just the odds and statistics. More top picks makes you almost not be able to miss or at least be able to miss on some but still hit on the others. People only remember the ones you hit on anyway.
Originally posted by prhyme:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The reason 2012 was so bad is because we thought we were a loaded roster with the luxury of picking caviar instead of meat and potatoes.

I completely agree

We got a Cosco sized bag of meat and potatoes this year....
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Originally posted by prhyme:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The reason 2012 was so bad is because we thought we were a loaded roster with the luxury of picking caviar instead of meat and potatoes.

I completely agree

We got a Cosco sized bag of meat and potatoes this year....

Maybe that will workout better.....

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The first 2 picks they picked for SPEED which we did in fact need and still do need. But...... they went wrong IMO because they didn't pick "football players." Like 2014 is just football player after football player and they didn't worry much about combine workouts or speed. I think they were trying to push for speed in 2012 and forced the issue for quick and fast and combine workouts. Rather than big, physical, "football player" types who really make up this team. Those have been some of the more successful drafts we have had. Just picking "football players" if you will.

Yes we did and still do need speed. I would like to get it. But you can't lose site of who is a player and who has physicality or not. Who will be strong and physical at the next level. Those things are all more important. It's basically on the tape and in the production.

AJ Jenkins had some good highlights but if you watch him he was just good at going deep and in college his speed was overwhelming. Speed caught up to him in the pros. He is not very physical and struggled with contact and getting off the line. LaMichael was fast at a college program but the speed of the NFL caught up to him. Plus he is tiny by NFL standards and I don't think holds up to the physicality of the game real well.

Carlos Hyde is the opposite. Just a big bulldozer. We didn't worry much about his 40 time. But if you watch the games it's obvious he can play. We picked a "football player" there. Which I think is what you want to do 9 times out of 10 at least.

One of your best posts ever SD. Baalke went into uncharted territory with players he doesn't usually favor. I agree he was pushed to get speed/agility guys.

I think the entire organization learned valuable lessons from that draft.

Maybe that harsh lesson will pay dividends as we go forward into a hopeful dynasty period!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Nobody knows, not even HarBaalke, why the 2012 draft was a fail. Sometimes, s**t doesn't go the way you planned, and there could be (and often is) a myriad of reasons for that. However, it's in our nature to assign blame and often in the most simplistic ways, instead of understanding the nuances that go into both the decision making process and the variables in play that ultimately produce the final results.

We want/need black and white versions of the story when the vast majority of events in this world are grayish.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry=A proverbial expression used to signify the futility of making detailed plans when the outcome is uncertain.
I think this is an absolutely perfect explanation.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and say, "well, look, obviously the draft failed because they abandoned their philosophy and succumbed to the temptation of _________" but we really don't know that's why these players didn't pan out.

However, I am more inclined to just chalk it up to the nature of the beast that is the NFL draft. No prospect is a sure thing. They 2012 is a shining example of that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
One of your best posts ever SD. Baalke went into uncharted territory with players he doesn't usually favor. I agree he was pushed to get speed/agility guys.

I think the entire organization learned valuable lessons from that draft.

Maybe that harsh lesson will pay dividends as we go forward into a hopeful dynasty period!

Jenkins felt like an overreaction to the way Victor Cruz teabagged Carlos Rogers in the NFCCG that year. Obviously the Giants run option routes/Erhardt-Perkins, so I never understood what the thought process was behind taking Jenkins at 30.

I'm sure Baalke realizes how badly the botched that draft. They seemed to have a better plan the last two years.
No long arms

No good draft
Share 49ersWebzone