LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Why the 2012 Draft was a big fail.

I think in 2012 they had fallen in love with the spread option, running plays out of the pistol so they went out and acquired players whom they felt would be conducive towards that sort of offensive approach. It didn't work out as intended and they went back to their previous team philosophy and really doubled down on it in this draft.
Jenkins was that pick in the draft where the whole room went "What?". He tried to get cute with that one. Not sure what he saw because while Jenkins produced at Illinois, he wasn't great. I really didn't like the LMJ pick either. Saw him as another Hunter who I don't think he is nearly as good as. Bad drafts happen and he sure has made up for it since.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I'm not exactly sure how, but the 2012 draft had something to do with us selecting Reid last year. TJE filled in nicely last year and Looney is a solid back up. Also, we got a 7th for Cam Johnson from Colts... if one of our 7th rounders pan out (well), we can always claim that 7th was because of the Cam trade

2012 was ahite....
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke is in charge of the draft and he gets credit or blame for the entire draft and each pick in that draft.

However, Baalke depends on and works with many others on the draft. In a very true sense, the draft is a team effort. Baalke is just where the buck stops.

Speculate as we may, we just do not know which individual was the driving force behind the selection of individual players.

If we have learned anything this off season, we have learned that media reports about the team cannot be taken at face value.

When it comes to the draft, we get facts that we get are often nothing more than disinformation cloaked in smoke and supported by innuendos, half-truths, and downright lies and that frequently comes from unknown sources who are engaged in their own games for their own purposes.

In my estimation, Baalke gets the credit and the blame, simply because he is the general manager--and I am pretty sure that is true.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
2012 was a terrible draft luckily it was sandwiched between 2 amazing drafts.

2013 still has to prove itself. But starting off with pro bowler Reid is a good start.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The reason 2012 was so bad is because we thought we were a loaded roster with the luxury of picking caviar instead of meat and potatoes.

I completely agree
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Not really sure how that post was confusing...
I thought we drafted some great talent, it just didn't pan out.

(I'm not saying it wasn't Baalke's fault, but he isn't the only person to blame)

Um. Yes it still was in his control so you're wrong.

He had a bad draft and that's a fact but he's been a great GM and done an amazing job.

You don't have to defend him all the time because no GM drafts well every year.
[ Edited by Clarity on May 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Clarity:

(I'm not saying it wasn't Baalke's fault, but he isn't the only person to blame)

He had a bad draft and that's a fact but he's been a great GM and done an amazing job.

So you are saying that the 2012 draft was 100% Baalke's fault?
Do you know the how the process of drafting a player works?
[ Edited by Quest4six on May 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM ]
i think baalke tanked it on purpose, blowing a draft class left us with no valuable guys that are must keepers down the line. thus increasing the chance the other guys might stay.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think baalke tanked it on purpose, blowing a draft class left us with no valuable guys that are must keepers down the line. thus increasing the chance the other guys might stay.

Kind of a WASTE of time at this point! Don't you think?
Originally posted by T-9ers:
We needed speed and it was apparent we needed another receiver. AJ and LMJ were two of the fastest guys in the draft with good character. Just didn't work out because those guys were both products of being in systems in college that benefitted their attributes and in the pros it's much different. I've seen 1000's of better college players fail in the NFL than LMJ and AJ. I think our idea was good, just not the picks.

Agree...AJ's problem was a lack of strength and therefore, an inability to get free from press coverage. He really should have accepted Jerry Rice's invitation to run the hill and hang with the greatest. Jerry would have showed him how to beat the press.

As far as LMJ is concerned, he can obviously run the ball but he can't pass protect, which is a big problem in the NFL, especially on 3rd downs. He should hang with Frank the Tank more.

I think the bottom line with both of these guys is that they haven't worked hard enough to address their weaknesses....and both Harbs and Baalke don't take too kindly to guys who don't work hard.

Cheers!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Clarity:

So you are saying that the 2012 draft was 100% Baalke's fault?
Do you know the how the process of drafting a player works?

No one is saying that Baalke is 100% at fault for the 2012 draft, but he is in charge, and the bottom line is the person in charge is responsible.

Everyone involved in the draft works for him. He is responsible for the people he hires and the work they do.

Not too complicated, if you ask me.
The whole 2012 Draft was not too strong so far but the two players I wish Baalke woulda took at #30 were either WR Alshon Jeffrey or DE/DT Kendall Reyes. Had we gotten one of those two, and instead of LMJ I wanted Bernard Pierce. The Looney pick might not be a bad one if he ends up as a solid backup or eventual starter.
Two picks in the top 100. Compare that to this year (six) or 2013 (four), Having two good chances to get what you need leads to reaches and bad decisions. Just the way it is. Plus, Darius Flemming had a lot of talent but injuries limited his ability to earn a spot, Cam Johnson was just odd man out due to injury and stacked D, Looney still on team, and sixth rounders seldom become stars on a stacked team. It's silly to use this draft as a condemnation without looking at context--trades, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone