There are 418 users in the forums

Why the 2012 Draft was a big fail.

• irief
  • Veteran
Harbalke got away from their philosophy of drafting players who are physical with an "F" concept in the first few rounds. Not necessarily big and strong, but physical, mean, tough, and love contact.

AJ is the complete antithesis of this philosophy. LaMike doesn't fit this style either. Lower rounds are craps shoot anyway, and we had some bad luck with Flemings health. Time will tell of the linemen pan out.

Contrast this with our other high picks: 2011 Aldon, Kap, etc., 2013: E Reid, Tank, Vance, etc. 2014: Ward, Hyde, Martin. All really physical dudes who bring the pain.

By the way, we tend to take for granted TJE, who was an UDFA pick up in 2012. He was a stud last year, so it wasn't a complete loss.
Originally posted by irief:
Harbalke got away from their philosophy of drafting players who are physical with an "F" concept in the first few rounds. Not necessarily big and strong, but physical, mean, tough, and love contact.

AJ is the complete antithesis of this philosophy. LaMike doesn't fit this style either. Lower rounds are craps shoot anyway, and we had some bad luck with Flemings health. Time will tell of the linemen pan out.

Contrast this with our other high picks: 2011 Aldon, Kap, etc., 2013: E Reid, Tank, Vance, etc. 2014: Ward, Hyde, Martin. All really physical dudes who bring the pain.

By the way, we tend to take for granted TJE, who was an UDFA pick up in 2012. He was a stud last year, so it wasn't a complete loss.

The 2012 draft was a bust for reasons not in Baalke's control.
To put the blame on him isn't very accurate.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
The 2012 draft was a bust for reasons not in Baalke's control.
To put the blame on him isn't very accurate.

Uhh ... what?
  • buck
  • Veteran
I thought the physical with an "F" concept arose with Singletary ; not Baalke or Harbaugh.

It did, but you know what he's talking about. Harbaalke like guys who love the game and don't mind contact.
2012 was a terrible draft luckily it was sandwiched between 2 amazing drafts.
Originally posted by Scoots:
Uhh ... what?

Not really sure how that post was confusing...
I thought we drafted some great talent, it just didn't pan out.

(I'm not saying it wasn't Baalke's fault, but he isn't the only person to blame)
  • buck
  • Veteran
It did, but you know what he's talking about. Harbaalke like guys who love the game and don't mind contact.

Thanks, but I really did not know, or do not know, what he was talking about.

I would hesitate to say that abandoning a concept put forward by a prior head coach was the reason that the 2012 draft was so dismal.

But thanks for your input.
The reason 2012 was so bad is because we thought we were a loaded roster with the luxury of picking caviar instead of meat and potatoes.
We needed speed and it was apparent we needed another receiver. AJ and LMJ were two of the fastest guys in the draft with good character. Just didn't work out because those guys were both products of being in systems in college that benefitted their attributes and in the pros it's much different. I've seen 1000's of better college players fail in the NFL than LMJ and AJ. I think our idea was good, just not the picks.

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Not really sure how that post was confusing...
I thought we drafted some great talent, it just didn't pan out.

(I'm not saying it wasn't Baalke's fault, but he isn't the only person to blame)

Okay ... you said putting the blame on Baalke isn't very accurate. Baalke absolutely gets the blame. He made the picks he gets the blame and I bet he'd agree with me. Now it's not all his FAULT, but the blame lands square on the desk of the man who makes the final call. He wants the credit, he has to take the blame.

I understood what he was trying to do and I can see where some of the failure had to do with the coaches and/or bad luck ... but that doesn't change the fact that the draft was an amazing swing and a miss. By the end of this offseason there may be no player on the roster from a draft 2 years ago. That's amazing, particularly considering what he did in 2011, 2013, and 2014.
Okay ... you said putting the blame on Baalke isn't very accurate. Baalke absolutely gets the blame. He made the picks he gets the blame and I bet he'd agree with me. Now it's not all his FAULT, but the blame lands square on the desk of the man who makes the final call. He wants the credit, he has to take the blame.

I understood what he was trying to do and I can see where some of the failure had to do with the coaches and/or bad luck ... but that doesn't change the fact that the draft was an amazing swing and a miss. By the end of this offseason there may be no player on the roster from a draft 2 years ago. That's amazing, particularly considering what he did in 2011, 2013, and 2014.

Probably should have clarified.
The original thread blames Baalke 100% and talks about how he didn't stay true to Singletary's ideals.

I think if LMJ would have gone to a team like the Pack, or the Saints... He would have been a starter and having a lot better career.
I'm going to blame LMJ's troubles here on Roman, not Baalke.
AJ Jenkins, that one can go on Baalke/Roman.
Quest, I think you and I agree in general then.

You have to put a bunch of the blame for James' play on James unwillingness or inability to pass protect as that's one of the reasons he can't get on the field.
It's amazing we're a 11+ wins a year team N u people still find a way to b*tch N whine
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
It's amazing we're a 11+ wins a year team N u people still find a way to b*tch N whine

This isn't whining, its an analysis of what's worked and not worked in helping this team succeed. No point in taking time to string words together that bring no value to the discussion. That's a half hour of your life you will never get back.

The whole "Physical with an F" was Singletary's philosophy, but its also Harbalke's philosophy. Doesn't mean they were just following his mentality. This is ingrained in Harbaugh's philosophy, and can be seen in the teams he built at Stanford.
Share 49ersWebzone