LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 192 users in the forums

Morgan Breslin DE/OLB USC 49ers UDFA about to get paid

Morgan Breslin took out an insurance policy that will apparently pay him between 750K and 1M after injuries his senior year led to him going undrafted. He has some nice stats at USC his junior year and at junior college. I know we have a lot of USC fans here at the zone. Is this guy an IR/NFI list guy this year or is his injury expected to be healed by training camp? He didn't compete in the combine. Had some impressive pass rushing #'s and looks like an intriguing prospect.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/05/12/report-49ers-undrafted-rookie-breslin-could-receive-historic-payout/

In 2012, Breslin tied for fifth nationally in sacks (13), had the most tackles for loss (19.5) by a USC player since 2003 and was among six finalists for the Ted Hendricks award given to college football's best defensive end.
Every time I read his name, I think of this...

• sfout
  • Veteran
Smart guy. More and more players will start doing this because of the rookie wage scale. He's essentially getting paid for 2 years worth of a minimum salary deal even after taxes.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I don't know what this means
Originally posted by sfout:
Smart guy. More and more players will start doing this because of the rookie wage scale. He's essentially getting paid for 2 years worth of a minimum salary deal even after taxes.

I agree it was a smart move, I wonder how he paid the premiums, I'm sure it had to be high considering they were insuring a football player against injury. I wonder if insurance law allows for payment to be deferred to when he earns an NFL paycheck or something?
Originally posted by matt49er:

I agree it was a smart move, I wonder how he paid the premiums, I'm sure it had to be high considering they were insuring a football player against injury. I wonder if insurance law allows for payment to be deferred to when he earns an NFL paycheck or something?

Teddy Bridgewater did the same thing. http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/29/teddy-bridgewater-insurance-policy-2014-nfl-draft/

After purchasing a $10 million total disability injury policy, per the report, Bridgewater supplemented it with $5 million in loss-of-value insurance. That policy is connected directly to the injury policy, meaning the only way he can collect from a draft fall is if it's because of being hurt or ill.

The loss-of-value policy cost Bridgewater less than $20,000, and that's when he was projected to be a top-five pick. According to the report, he'd stand to start collecting money if he falls out of the top 11. From there, every slot Bridgewater falls, he could add hundreds of thousands of dollars from the policy.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/teddy-bridgewater-could-collect-on-insurance-policy-if-he-slides-in-nfl-draft-134454515.html
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Teddy Bridgewater did the same thing. http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/29/teddy-bridgewater-insurance-policy-2014-nfl-draft/

After purchasing a $10 million total disability injury policy, per the report, Bridgewater supplemented it with $5 million in loss-of-value insurance. That policy is connected directly to the injury policy, meaning the only way he can collect from a draft fall is if it's because of being hurt or ill.

The loss-of-value policy cost Bridgewater less than $20,000, and that's when he was projected to be a top-five pick. According to the report, he'd stand to start collecting money if he falls out of the top 11. From there, every slot Bridgewater falls, he could add hundreds of thousands of dollars from the policy.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/teddy-bridgewater-could-collect-on-insurance-policy-if-he-slides-in-nfl-draft-134454515.html
WOW! Insurance companies betting on draft boards now lol. I still want to know how they pay for it. Winston had to steal $32 worth of food but these guys can pay 20K+ for insurance? It's got to be a deferred premium.
WOW! Insurance companies betting on draft boards now lol. I still want to know how they pay for it. Winston had to steal $32 worth of food but these guys can pay 20K+ for insurance? It's got to be a deferred premium.

Winston didn't have to steal a thing. They can go and eat at the school for free. But since athletes are used to being pampered with buffets of better food than normal college kids, he thought he was above paying for the finest foods. And if you take him at his word... "I went to the supermarket with the intent to purchase dinner but made a terrible mistake for which I'm taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items." So he either "forgot" and had plenty of money for crab legs, or he's a thief that thinks he should be pampered every meal.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

There was an article explaining it awhile back. If I recall it can be done multiple ways.

in college insurance
a. deferred premium as you say
b. players simultaneously take out loans and insurance policies

draft season policies (more leverage, go to insurance companies with the draft advisory board's grade to boost value of the policy)
c. injury only insurance from the day they declare up until the draft that agents pay and the player pays them back once they are drafted.
[ Edited by sfout on May 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I don't know what this means

Same last name, she's an actress named Abigail Breslin. That is her in 2006's Little Miss Sunshine. She now looks like this

and is 18 for all you perverts out there

I hope he gets redshirted his first year and gets a chance to fully recover
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Dude, if Breslin didn't get hurt, the guy would have been a day two pick. He's not the most sexy athlete, but he straight up Kevin Green's his way to the QB. Love the signing.

Fact is, the 49ers acquired the ONLY two guys that came out of USC this year that I liked.

FYI - I'm a Trojan - FIGHT ON!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Breslin is a legit pass rusher, I didn't even know we got him. He's a frikkin steal.
Originally posted by kray28:
Breslin is a legit pass rusher, I didn't even know we got him. He's a frikkin steal.

This! Hoping we can stash him on the PS. Maybe he even competes with Aaron Lynch for a roster spot.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by kray28:

This! Hoping we can stash him on the PS. Maybe he even competes with Aaron Lynch for a roster spot.

Very injury prone though - he may end up like Darius Fleming...so beware.
Share 49ersWebzone