LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

most of these draft picks will have little influence on their teams 2014 seasons...

for all the excitement we have over draft picks most dont contribute much other than special teams play in their 1st season...
look at the picks in the 2013 draft and you might be surprised re how few actually became impact players, or even regular contributors their rookie seasons..

where i think you will see a lot of development is for these guys goinginto their 2nd years....
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I think Ward, Martin, Hyde, Borland and Ellington will see snaps this season outside ST (though probably not many for Ellington).

I think Ward and Martin will likely be starters, I think Borland will fill in for Bowman and beat out Moody and Wilhoite on run plays. Start is proably Borland on running downs and Wilhoite on passing downs.

I think Lynch will see a few snaps as a dedicated pass rusher.

Hyde, Gore and Lattimore will split plays with Hyde and Lattimore taking over.
I think that the 49s draft establishes many things but primarily that the Niners want competition in camp. This sets the tone that nothing is a given to anyone but all must win their competitions to have the right to get on the field. This is the primary objective to the draft, you can not be satisfied with last year.

Secondly it builds up the starting lineup and brings new blood to the team.

Third - The draft builds up the backup system so that there are always quality players in the pipeline.

Fourth - It gives the coaches people to work with and keeps them on their toes as well.

Fifth- We want winners to come in and continue to win.
Originally posted by hofer36:
for all the excitement we have over draft picks most dont contribute much other than special teams play in their 1st season...
look at the picks in the 2013 draft and you might be surprised re how few actually became impact players, or even regular contributors their rookie seasons..

where i think you will see a lot of development is for these guys goinginto their 2nd years....

I think Ward will step in and be the nickelback at some point this season. Hyde will get snaps at RB and Borland will win the starting ILB job opposite Willis.
I think almost all will contribute and make team.We have a few redshirts and maybe 1 of the rookie CB and the Rookie DT/DE goes to PS.., but overall they will shore up our weak points. I think Borland and Skov will both make team as Bowman will be on PUP list, after he gets back it will be interesting to see if they both along with Wilohoit are still there. Unfortunately, I see Moody gone.
I believe that Ward, Martin, and Boreland could all be immediate starters on this team, that Hyde will be the #2 back behind Gore, and that Ellington has a real shot to be the #4 WR.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on May 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I believe that Ward, Martin, and Boreland could all be immediate starters on this team, that Hyde will be the #2 back behind Gore, and that Ellington has a real shot to be the #4 WR.

I agree, and the great thing about it is that they won't be handed the job by default. There is quality competition, and they will have to earn it by proving they're the better player.
Ward will play a ton as the nickle CB
Hyde will def get touches out of the backfield
Ellington will see the field in the slot
Marin IMO has a great shot at winning the starting C spot
Borland has a great chance at starting at ILB until Bowman gets back
Lynch could def see some time as a substitute pass rusher
Dontae Johnson also has an excellent chance of getting some serious playing time at outside CB

Also need to think about Lattimore and Tank, they are basically rookies and will both get some PT.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:

I think Ward will step in and be the nickelback at some point this season. Hyde will get snaps at RB and Borland will win the starting ILB job opposite Willis.

though you applied my comments to the niners drafts i should have been more clear--i meant league wide that most 1st year draftees have litle impact beyond special teams...i looked at the whole draft class for the league for 2013--surprising how few players actually were starters and big contributors---actyually i think this draft class may contribute more than most
Share 49ersWebzone