LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Seattle's 2014 draft

Originally posted by Bison645:
I Agree, I thought Seattle tried to get way too cute with this draft, and ended up reaching on nearly every pick. Its almost like there was a power struggle, Scott McGloughlin was pushed out, and Schneider went out of his way to have a statement draft. Seattle could have traded all of their picks for 6th and 7th rounders, and drafted nearly the same pool of players that they drafted with with higher picks.
Arizona had a great draft, San Francisco had a great draft, St Louis Killed it, and Seattle took the weekend off. The good news for the Seahawks, is that they still get their second draft this summer, when the Niners cut down to 53. Maybe that's the draft that Schneider is preparing for.

The thing about success, is that you start to think that you are smarter than you actually are.

This draft felt to me like Seattle was trying to show the rest of the league how much smarter they are than everyone else.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Was there really a difference between 2/5 and 5/5? Obviously Okung is a stud but other than that no starter seemed all that much better than their replacement, they all know how to cheap shot so they are interchangeable.

It's not a big drop off from starter to backup when your starters would be backups on most other teams.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Indeed, depth is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
It was pretty amazing that the Hawks (and specifically, RW) were able to keep their head above water, given the hand full of games they had to play with only 2/5 of their starting OL (not to mention the various DB absences).

Was there really a difference between 2/5 and 5/5? Obviously Okung is a stud but other than that no starter seemed all that much better than their replacement, they all know how to cheap shot so they are interchangeable.

Or, you could look at it the other way - there wasn't that much of a drop-off with the replacements- which speaks to the initial point about the need for depth.
Originally posted by Existence:
The thing about success, is that you start to think that you are smarter than you actually are.

This draft felt to me like Seattle was trying to show the rest of the league how much smarter they are than everyone else.

Methinks the Hawks (like EVERY team) do their research and make their picks/trades with the sole intent of improving their organization (whether it be for starters, for depth or for future development). I doubt they give a flying fig about who thinks what about their level of intelligence
I think the Seahawks had the worst draft of any team in the NFL by a wide margin (though had one of the better UDFA) and alot of it has to do with hubris from their coaches and scouting department.

They are getting way too full of themselves for a team that lucked into a few home run picks in the later rounds, but on average were not great drafters. With the exception of Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Russel Wilson they have really fallen on their faces ALOT in the draft. They cut 4th round picks in their rookie season and the majority of their first 3 round picks the past 5 years are either journeymen or no longer in the NFL.

From a value perspective they were abysmal in this year's draft. You could argue that we added 4 players (plus Stevie Johnson) that are better prospects than any one individual they drafted. Paul Richardson IMO was their best pick by far, but I would still put Ward, Hyde, Martin, Ellington, and Thomas (when healthy) as likely to be better NFL players assuming all else equal (scheme, etc.).
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on May 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM ]
Norwood was a nice pick
Don't sleep on Richardson. He can play. He's a perfect fit for Seattle too. Wilson is as good as anyone at buying time, which should compliment Richardson's strengths. He's elusive and not many defenders can stay with him for 5+ seconds. Go back and look at how dominant Richardson was early in the year before he lost his QB. He was one of, if not the top receivers for the first month or so.

He's no AJ. The game was never too big for Richardson. He always made it look easy.
Piss poor draft, they reached for every single one of those picks. Now we get to see if they can polish the turds they plucked. They did get a couple of nice UDFA's though.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Existence:
Originally posted by Bison645:
I Agree, I thought Seattle tried to get way too cute with this draft, and ended up reaching on nearly every pick. Its almost like there was a power struggle, Scott McGloughlin was pushed out, and Schneider went out of his way to have a statement draft. Seattle could have traded all of their picks for 6th and 7th rounders, and drafted nearly the same pool of players that they drafted with with higher picks.
Arizona had a great draft, San Francisco had a great draft, St Louis Killed it, and Seattle took the weekend off. The good news for the Seahawks, is that they still get their second draft this summer, when the Niners cut down to 53. Maybe that's the draft that Schneider is preparing for.

To be honest, I almost felt like this was the case as well. If Schneider didn't have the credentials he does, I'd probably be relatively upset. He made a big deal about mental makeup for this years picks. Many Hawks fans suspect it is because of last years 4th rd pick, Chris Harper, who was cut before the season. It has been speculated he didn't have to proper mental state to be in the hyper competitive environment the Hawks have. I don't know if that eliminated some guys off their board they might have otherwise drafted.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I think the Seahawks had the worst draft of any team in the NFL by a wide margin (though had one of the better UDFA) and alot of it has to do with hubris from their coaches and scouting department.

They are getting way too full of themselves for a team that lucked into a few home run picks in the later rounds, but on average were not great drafters. With the exception of Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Russel Wilson they have really fallen on their faces ALOT in the draft. They cut 4th round picks in their rookie season and the majority of their first 3 round picks the past 5 years are either journeymen or no longer in the NFL.

From a value perspective they were abysmal in this year's draft. You could argue that we added 4 players (plus Stevie Johnson) that are better prospects than any one individual they drafted. Paul Richardson IMO was their best pick by far, but I would still put Ward, Hyde, Martin, Ellington, and Thomas (when healthy) as likely to be better NFL players assuming all else equal (scheme, etc.).

This could be their "2012" wake-up call. The 2012 49er draft reeked period... way before we all found out for a fact it was a stinker.

McCloughan had an eye for late round talent ... he's no longer in Seattle ... I wonder if they were reaching based on his evaluation or because it worked in the past with him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scoots:
McCloughan had an eye for late round talent ... he's no longer in Seattle ... I wonder if they were reaching based on his evaluation or because it worked in the past with him.

Seattle likes to have one guy going deep every pass play to stretch the defenses. Richardson fits this role in their system. They are banking on Marshawn drawing in the defense and getting the big play out of Harvin and Richardson on play passes. Cassius is a gap perpetrating end, and they like to play the gaps on defense to force things on the run or pass play. The scouting reports say Cassius isn't very stout at the point or that he is a particularly good at tackling, but if he can shoot the gaps and clog up the run lanes or pressure the passer - he'll make the team playing that role. I too don't think Seadderall drafted particularly well since they were drafting last- but add in the UDFA's I think they did decently.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
This could be their "2012" wake-up call. The 2012 49er draft reeked period... way before we all found out for a fact it was a stinker.

Red Bryant was a big loss for them. For that particular defense to work they need one two gapper like him. Jimmy Staten or Jessie Williams might be that guy. But if they can't find a replacement for Red. That defense will collapse if faced with an offense like ours.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Red Bryant was a big loss for them. For that particular defense to work they need one two gapper like him. Jimmy Staten or Jessie Williams might be that guy. But if they can't find a replacement for Red. That defense will collapse if faced with an offense like ours.

The initial word is Tony Mcdaniel is going to fill the Big Red role. He was a monster at times last year, but he's always had injury concerns, so we'll see. There have also been positive reports on Jesse Williams knees. Another name to watch out for is Greg Scruggs. He was IR'd last year, but there are very high hopes for him this year.
Originally posted by JoRo:
Originally posted by Giedi:

The initial word is Tony Mcdaniel is going to fill the Big Red role. He was a monster at times last year, but he's always had injury concerns, so we'll see. There have also been positive reports on Jesse Williams knees. Another name to watch out for is Greg Scruggs. He was IR'd last year, but there are very high hopes for him this year.

thats like me telling you theres positive offseason news on marcus lattimore's knee. it dont mean s**t until you prove you can handle the pounding play in and play out of the league. guy was said to have chronic knee issues and then couldnt make it through camp, i wouldnt be having any expectations for a guy like that. more than anything i think you'll miss the leadership of red bryant, with that many talented guys on D you'll find a way to plug the gap.
Share 49ersWebzone