There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Seattle's 2014 draft

Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm not sure. Most evaluations of their draft are pretty lukewarm.

Honestly though, Seattle seems to draft somewhat unconventially. If you go back and look at the immediate grades given out after some of their drafts a couple years ago, they were heavily panned by critics. Those drafts went on to produce guys like Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman, etc...

Sherman was a lucky break. If they had any idea he would be that good they wouldn't have waited until the 5th rd to pick him. Wilson was planned. I don't think they will be raving about this draft in the future.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Jcool:
2012 NFL Draft Grades: Ranking Teams That Failed on Draft Day

No. 1: Seattle Seahawks

After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future.

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn't make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn't bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn't fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.

Grade: F

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165320-2012-nfl-draft-grades-power-ranking-teams-that-failed-on-draft-day

What is the point in showing this? Besides Wilson and Wagner, the others are very average. Their first round pick (Irvin) had a good 1st season, but had to move to a new position just to get on the field. For a pass rusher, hes had 10 sacks in 2 seasons. Yawn. Their 4th round pick, Turbin, has 618 yards. By comparison, Kendall Hunter (our own 4th round RB) has double that in only 9 more games. Turbin=Yawn. Howard did nothing for them, Toomey nothing, Lane is an depth player, Guy did nothing, they were smart and moved Sweezy to offensive line not bad for a 7th rounder, and Scruggs did nothing. So 2 (Wagner/Wilson)out of 10 were good, 2 are average (Sweezy/Irvin), and 1 is depth (Lane). Not that impressive.

Sorry, but any draft that includes two studs, two starters, and a depth player is VERY impressive. But who cares? Seattle had their year last year, this year is ours.

I think we really do have the better roster this year, and, the ball really did bounce Seattle's way last year. Just wait until Seattle loses to Green Bay on a bogus roughing the passer penalty...
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Jcool:
2012 NFL Draft Grades: Ranking Teams That Failed on Draft Day

No. 1: Seattle Seahawks

After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future.

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn't make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn't bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn't fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.

Grade: F

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165320-2012-nfl-draft-grades-power-ranking-teams-that-failed-on-draft-day

What is the point in showing this? Besides Wilson and Wagner, the others are very average. Their first round pick (Irvin) had a good 1st season, but had to move to a new position just to get on the field. For a pass rusher, hes had 10 sacks in 2 seasons. Yawn. Their 4th round pick, Turbin, has 618 yards. By comparison, Kendall Hunter (our own 4th round RB) has double that in only 9 more games. Turbin=Yawn. Howard did nothing for them, Toomey nothing, Lane is an depth player, Guy did nothing, they were smart and moved Sweezy to offensive line not bad for a 7th rounder, and Scruggs did nothing. So 2 (Wagner/Wilson)out of 10 were good, 2 are average (Sweezy/Irvin), and 1 is depth (Lane). Not that impressive.

Sorry, but any draft that includes two studs, two starters, and a depth player is VERY impressive. But who cares? Seattle had their year last year, this year is ours.

I think we really do have the better roster this year, and, the ball really did bounce Seattle's way last year. Just wait until Seattle loses to Green Bay on a bogus roughing the passer penalty...

Their 4th straight home game, our 4th straight road game and they barely beat us with weak links Carlos Rogers, Whitner and Goodwin. With Russell Wilson struggling going into the game, Whitner and Rogers allows Wilson to hit key 3rd and 4th down deep passes that killed us. Let's see what happens now after we finally let those old farts play out their contracts and upgraded with younger faster more disciplined players.

We also could not run the ball in the playoffs to save our life (besides Kaep), so we upgraded the interior of our OL and drafted 235 lb. rb carlos Hyde and Marcus Lattimore to the mix. Let's see if their DL can stop us this year.
[ Edited by kronik on May 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM ]
I hope it was all bad...
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by kronik:
Their 4th straight home game, our 4th straight road game and they barely beat us with weak links Carlos Rogers, Whitner and Goodwin. With Russell Wilson struggling going into the game, Whitner and Rogers allows Wilson to hit key 3rd and 4th down deep passes that killed us. Let's see what happens now after we finally let those old farts play out their contracts and upgraded with younger faster more disciplined players.

We also could not run the ball in the playoffs to save our life (besides Kaep), so we upgraded the interior of our OL and drafted 235 lb. rb carlos Hyde and Marcus Lattimore to the mix. Let's see if their DL can stop us this year.

Injuries to Iupati and Miller (the panthers game) hurt too. Those are two major injuries to starters, and don't forget they injured Ian in that first regular season seattle game too. That's three starters we lost in addition to losing Crabtree that first game. Crabs was still recovering from the knee injury (in my opinion) in that playoff game. Finally I think they took out Bowmans knee late in the game also. If we had all four starters, I don't think they win that !@#$!@# game.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by kronik:
Their 4th straight home game, our 4th straight road game and they barely beat us with weak links Carlos Rogers, Whitner and Goodwin. With Russell Wilson struggling going into the game, Whitner and Rogers allows Wilson to hit key 3rd and 4th down deep passes that killed us. Let's see what happens now after we finally let those old farts play out their contracts and upgraded with younger faster more disciplined players.

We also could not run the ball in the playoffs to save our life (besides Kaep), so we upgraded the interior of our OL and drafted 235 lb. rb carlos Hyde and Marcus Lattimore to the mix. Let's see if their DL can stop us this year.

Injuries to Iupati and Miller (the panthers game) hurt too. Those are two major injuries to starters, and don't forget they injured Ian in that first regular season seattle game too. That's three starters we lost in addition to losing Crabtree that first game. Crabs was still recovering from the knee injury (in my opinion) in that playoff game. Finally I think they took out Bowmans knee late in the game also. If we had all four starters, I don't think they win that !@#$!@# game.

..and Harvin didn't play, Wright was still mostly injured. It's football, you play with who is available.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by JoRo:
..and Harvin didn't play, Wright was still mostly injured. It's football, you play with who is available.

heh, everybody is aware now of the 3 deep man press single high safety Seattle plays now. Just like the WCO and the Tampa Two. Every team that faces Seadderall will have a plan for that defensive system. I wouldn't be surprised if 8-8 was Seadderall's record this year. (just like the Ravens last year)

The five superbowls (I'm not revisiting history but illustrating a point) we have - we were relatively injury free during those seasons. the Cap and free agency makes any injury to a starter really magnified nowadays. The talent is spread so evenly that any team that has significant injuries can go from playoff to bottom of the barrel. Look at Aaron Rogers - they lose him and the lose almost every game they play until he comes back.

Depth is really important in a superbowl run, and all superbowl winners (yes we've won a superbowl or two ) lose depth.
Originally posted by Giedi:
heh, everybody is aware now of the 3 deep man press single high safety Seattle plays now. Just like the WCO and the Tampa Two. Every team that faces Seadderall will have a plan for that defensive system. I wouldn't be surprised if 8-8 was Seadderall's record this year. (just like the Ravens last year)

The five superbowls (I'm not revisiting history but illustrating a point) we have - we were relatively injury free during those seasons. the Cap and free agency makes any injury to a starter really magnified nowadays. The talent is spread so evenly that any team that has significant injuries can go from playoff to bottom of the barrel. Look at Aaron Rogers - they lose him and the lose almost every game they play until he comes back.

Depth is really important in a superbowl run, and all superbowl winners (yes we've won a superbowl or two ) lose depth.

Indeed, depth is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
It was pretty amazing that the Hawks (and specifically, RW) were able to keep their head above water, given the hand full of games they had to play with only 2/5 of their starting OL (not to mention the various DB absences).
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Indeed, depth is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
It was pretty amazing that the Hawks (and specifically, RW) were able to keep their head above water, given the hand full of games they had to play with only 2/5 of their starting OL (not to mention the various DB absences).

SEA runs a zone read rushing attack pistol offensive sets and read option. And has a mobile QB that has a game to compensate for crappy line play not some statue like Peyton. Credit to Wilson. Plus the OL cut blocks and rolls up ankles. Backups can do this if this is what you ask of them. You can still win a Super Bowl considering. You just did! And yes we had our adversities as well and still navigated a rough road playoff schedule to come close to knocking off the champs for a third straight year.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,310
Draft grades from pundits mean nothing.

That being said from my armchair analysis they bet their entire class on Richardson, Marsh, and Norwood.

They did amazing with the WRs -- Norwood has a lot of potential, he was my draft crush this year. Marsh is a "mehh" pick but otherwise every other pick was just super depth and trying to recreate magic, picking another 6'3" 230 pound safety from a small school and so on.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Indeed, depth is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
It was pretty amazing that the Hawks (and specifically, RW) were able to keep their head above water, given the hand full of games they had to play with only 2/5 of their starting OL (not to mention the various DB absences).

Was there really a difference between 2/5 and 5/5? Obviously Okung is a stud but other than that no starter seemed all that much better than their replacement, they all know how to cheap shot so they are interchangeable.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Seattle is going through what all Superbowl teams do, a s**tty post-SB offseason. -This happened to the Saints, Giants, and Ravens; crappy draft positioning + contracts to be paid in full (which cripple the SB depth). I think most 'real' Hawks fans know they're probably not going all the way again (probably not even making the playoffs), but they're not gonna admit that (and who could blame them).

I Agree, I thought Seattle tried to get way too cute with this draft, and ended up reaching on nearly every pick. Its almost like there was a power struggle, Scott McGloughlin was pushed out, and Schneider went out of his way to have a statement draft. Seattle could have traded all of their picks for 6th and 7th rounders, and drafted nearly the same pool of players that they drafted with with higher picks.
Arizona had a great draft, San Francisco had a great draft, St Louis Killed it, and Seattle took the weekend off. The good news for the Seahawks, is that they still get their second draft this summer, when the Niners cut down to 53. Maybe that's the draft that Schneider is preparing for.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,508
Originally posted by tondiman:
Anyone have some insight on how Seattle did? I hope the Richardson pick won't come and haunt us. It looks like they got three extra picks for trading down their #32 after the Patriots took their man Easley.

Overall, do any of you college guru's know much about their picks?

I have a hard enough time figuring out our draft.

There are 32 NFL teams. I have little time or energy to look at their drafts in any detail.

Didn't like Seattle's draft. The draft is about getting the best player for the most value. To me, Richardson was 3rd round value, and Britt is a 3rd day pick, so to select both in the second round is simply not good value.

Marsh came off the board too early.

I do like the selection of Norwood. He may end up the best player in the entire Seahawks draft. For a fourth rounder, terrific value.

Overall, I'd give their draft a D+. Not much to like.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Didn't like Seattle's draft. The draft is about getting the best player for the most value. To me, Richardson was 3rd round value, and Britt is a 3rd day pick, so to select both in the second round is simply not good value.

Marsh came off the board too early.

I do like the selection of Norwood. He may end up the best player in the entire Seahawks draft. For a fourth rounder, terrific value.

Overall, I'd give their draft a D+. Not much to like.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. If you look at most pundit's draft boards, they had Tiny Richardson in their top 100. He fell out of the draft because we as outsiders, don't have all of the info. According to most draft boards, the Seahawks should have grabbed Tiny over Britt. According to the rest of the league's board, Tiny was undraftable. John Schneider obviously has a different rating system than most of the rest of the league. The Hawks have earned mostly terrible draft grades in his first 4 years drafting, and the drafts have been mostly spectacular. Until he shows he can't cut it anymore, he has more than earned the benefit of the doubt.