There are 274 users in the forums

With EVERY position addressed, should 49ers move up in 2015 for top WR/CB?

Have you not learned anything all these years. It does not matter what you or I think the niners should do, they are gonna go with their strategies. Just like the 11 draft, the 14 draft had us thinking what the heck at first, then when the dust had settle and we wiped ourselves off and ponder, we realize what they did and why.
We have so little information (even though we might imagine or claim to think we have all we need to know).

Baalke will not trade up if its not worth it and when he does he won't sell the farm. Especially since we will be drafting so far back if not with the last pick of the round . Its also to early to know who is a good prospect is or what makes a prospect good for that matter. Many of those might be high for us to consider anyway.

Plus who knows what Baalke is thinking, you think he likes only long armed athletes, but then he turns around and takes Borland.

So instead lets just enjoy what they just did and if the niners pick up anybody else in FA and speculate who is winning the camp battles. Who will/should be dumped and let go.
Originally posted by Rascal:
The point is if you are not that fast then you better be big. Or as Rex Ryan says, if you have fast big and fast small, give me fast big. That's the general idea of where I am coming from.

DeSean Jackson is not big, but amongst the top deep threat wideouts, how many are that size as opposed to Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, Alshon Jeffrey, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones, etc. ?

As for Bruce Ellington, he is known more as a slot receiver. Sure, he can play deep, but is he the intended definitive answer to our deep threat need ? I don't know, we shall have to see about that.

I think it is more important for the receiver to be quick, strong and have good footwork to throw the db off balance and turn him around so as to get separation, The second thing is scheme (meaning the Roman), getting the opponent confused and in disarray for a split second to catch them napping, pure speed guys are inconsistent (we had Ginn if you recall.)
I still want a giant WR to literally throw Sherman on the ground, stand over him, and laugh.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I still want a giant WR to literally throw Sherman on the ground, stand over him, and laugh.

I am old school, just be workman like and smile every time you do your job and say whatever you say motor mouth.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
You're right on point. I think people think 4.3 is necessary for a speed receiver. Not true. IMHO, one of the best deep threat speed WR is Torrey Smith and he had a 4.43 forty. Ellington is right there at 4.45

So. there are at least two members who think that Baalke drafted a wide receiver that is fast enough to stretch the field.

I do not feel as lonely.

Me too! Love the guy.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
You're right on point. I think people think 4.3 is necessary for a speed receiver. Not true. IMHO, one of the best deep threat speed WR is Torrey Smith and he had a 4.43 forty. Ellington is right there at 4.45

So. there are at least two members who think that Baalke drafted a wide receiver that is fast enough to stretch the field.

I do not feel as lonely.

I'm with you buck! You're not alone. See, people need to look at our other personnel as well. With the obvious attention given to Crabtree, Boldin and VD, shifty guys like Stevie (lots of moves in his route running) and Ellington (both from the slot so this means they are uncontested) could easily sift through and sneak behind the secondary as deep threats. And even Patton runs in the 4.4's. We scored a couple TD's with VD (4.3) from this same concept. It's the other 10 players that often contribute to this "deep threat" idea.

Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Not only does he have fast football speed He knows how to get open,how to find the soft spots in a zone defense,Ellington is slippery to,I watched some of his game tapes and I`m still trying to figure out how does he get open,not to get off subject,but I havce seen Johnson tape too and this guy has some really slick-shifty moves like the one he put ondick-sherm,that move had me cracking up he made dick-sherm look real silly and he tried to grab and was left grabbing air...classic,if patton get more of a chance to play he has some shiftiness to him to,Ellinton will be our field-strecher along with Davis look out LOB you are gonna have play real man to man defense this year.

OK. I no longer feel lonely. Now it is starting to get crowded in here.

I am starting to feel claustrophobic.

I agree with you, I think that Ellington will stretch the field.

In the pre-draft thread, I am sure someone noted that he'd got off to a bad start at the combine and that impacted his time. Certainly watching the combine tape of him, it looks like he stutters a bit in the first 2/3 steps, it's not a smooth start.

Edit: I should also say I originally thought that we should move up in this draft for a WR but the more I reflect, the more I think it was right not to. WR is the position that takes longest to develop in the NFL, even guys from pro ready offences still struggle. Beyond the issue of potential injury to that star pick costing a team 3+draft picks, there is also the issue in skill positions that it takes time to learn and develop.

WR and CB are the two positions that are hardest to learn at an NFL position. I think the FO has been bang on in drafting a number of lower round guys with physical gifts who have impressed in interviews than selling the farm in trying to get a quick hit and then having that high pick not produce or take longer to develo.

Obviously our FO plan now is to draft a number of guys with potential in these areas to develop behind the veteran starters. With the money being paid to top tier WRs and CBs - look at Revis and Sherman - it doesn't make a lot of sense for FO's to barrel a load of picks for a player in a skill position that may or may not transition fully to the NFL, and if they do may demand mega money if they are in the top tier at that position.
[ Edited by Buchy on May 13, 2014 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:
I agree with you, I think that Ellington will stretch the field.

In the pre-draft thread, I am sure someone noted that he'd got off to a bad start at the combine and that impacted his time. Certainly watching the combine tape of him, it looks like he stutters a bit in the first 2/3 steps, it's not a smooth start.

I could be wrong but I recall Ellington having the fastest final 30 yards of anyone at the Combine.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:

Good observation. The only anomaly in Ellington's combine numbers was his time for the 10-yard split.

He had a 1.63 10-yard split, which in my estimation is rather mediocre. A bad start would certainly explain that anomaly.

• sfout
  • Veteran
This time last year Brandon Coleman was a top 45 pick. Wait until September at the earliest before you ask this question.
I'd like to see us get Ifo and keep Crabs.

Trade a few 6th round picks for Justin Blackmon, Josh Gordon, and Andre Johnson and we're good for a few more years.
Originally posted by Scoots:
Trade a few 6th round picks for Justin Blackmon, Josh Gordon, and Andre Johnson and we're good for a few more years.

If you are being sarcastic

If you are being serious (on any of the 3)
'twas a joke. Mostly :)
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scoots:
'twas a joke. Mostly :)

Mostly--hmmm

bad humor
Only if there's an elite CB to be had. I don't know much about next year's prospects, could we have a top 5 talent at CB?
Share 49ersWebzone