LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

With EVERY position addressed, should 49ers move up in 2015 for top WR/CB?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
should've done that this year tbph imho bbq
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I think the 49ers should stick to acquiring receivers with their current philosophy: trading late round picks for guys able to produce 1,000 yard seasons.

But... that's just my opinion.
I'd actually like to see the 49ers go after a DE or TE as the top priority next year.

Cowboy's really up there in age and Vernon is not getting any younger. I see the McDonald pick as a whiff, although I'd love to see him prove me wrong in year 2
Overall, I agree with the logic of potentially moving up for a strong/elite WR/CB in 2015, but do those types of players really fit the 9ers mold and draft mentality??? It seems like we like to stay pat and let the board come to us, but maybe next year is the year we make a "big splash" to move up.

I understand the premature talk about Crabs leaving after this season, but it seems like a lot of WZ's view him as gone for sure. I don't totally agree with this. He is never going to be better than a high #2 WR by NFL standards, but could be the 9ers #1 in terms of production in the long term, and I am good with that because the guy's hands are amazing, but does he really think he's going to get top $$$'s on the market if he doesn't really tear it up this year? I am so torn with with I would want to do with him, but his play will dictate it. Do I want him to ball out and succeed and help get us a ring? Yes, but at the same time, I hope Kaep learns from his mistakes from 2013 and spreads the ball around a lot more this season. Unless we go very pass happy, Crabs isn't going to get HUGE stats every week and to be honest, I still feel like Q will still end up with more TDs. With the addition of Hyde and Lattimore coming into the mix and based on matchups, I still see a lot of down hill running for us. It's just who we are, for better or worse, Jim and Trent LOVE to run the rock!

It's going to be hard to not pay Crabs, but the guy is injury prone, and still coming off a very big injury. He did not even look 100% in the playoff run last season. If the 9ers are confident they don't need a true #1 WR based on their style of offense (run heavy) and Crab's wants #1 WR $$$, he is as good as gone, but I don't see him getting that big pay day he thinks he deserves unless a lower level team opens up the checkbook (Wallace to Miami???).
[ Edited by Beezy33 on May 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Last year at this time, some forum members were adamantly arguing that we should draft Brandon Coleman, who by the way is not very fast, in the 2014 draft--the draft that just finished.

Coleman was not drafted. He signed as a undrafted free agent.

What happens on the field in the NFL and in college football undoubtedly shapes the real world NFL draft.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
unfair question at this point in time in my opinion, gotta see how things shake out
I think their 2015 draft strategy should be to be patient, trade down when possible, and draft for value. Taking injured players later than they would have gone when healthy is a good use of value. Their first round pick should be BPA. Their second pick should be BPA. The rest of their picks should be BPA.
I think that there is a long way for that discussion, who knows who the 49ers will trade or cut, who knows how some of these picks will perform, how some other players might regress or improve. From a far, far, far off distance I'm looking at DL and CB as potentially being priorities but its still way too early to tell. Once the 49ers have assembled their final 53, put however many guys on the IR, then its possible to take a few steps closer to the dartboard. Right now it's like being 100 feet back and completely blindfolded.

I don't think that people should necessarily expect Baalke to just change the way he does things because it makes sense in their own heads

. Before the draft in 2013 people were saying "no way the 49ers take more than 5 or 6 guys, there's no room on the roster." This year people were saying "No way, they draft more than 5 or 6 guys, there's no room on the roster." Just throw conventional wisdom right out the window because there's nothing conventional about how Baalke handles his business. As Peter King said in his column from today, "It's Trent Baalke's drafting world and we're only visiting it"

In the end, Baalke gonna Baalke and we're just along for the ride.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Depends if we hold onto Crabtree. If we resign him this years draft is an A+ and can count on Crabtree Johnson and Patton to be our studs in 2016 with Ellington coming in for some 3 and 4 WR sets. I still think we need a redzone target. At this point, with the Johnson pick up, I'd rather stick with Baldwin over Lloyd. Either that or pick up Brandon Coleman for some redzone jump balls. The sting of the last two seasons end is still with me....Johnson is productive but not so much in the redzone/endzone.

If we dont resign Crabtree then not going with a WR earlier in this years draft will bite us. We'll have to bring in a FA to replace Boldin. I'm less pissed about not going with a WR earlier in this draft because we've had great luck trading for vets and our 2014 season will be one of the best WR cores in the NFL. I'm really hoping this is our year, and it should be if our secondary holds up. still, would be nice to have a 6-3/6-5 WR with leaping ability and wide catch radius for an endzone target.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Whoa homie. Let's play some football first.

^^This^^

• Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think that there is a long way for that discussion, who knows who the 49ers will trade or cut, who knows how some of these picks will perform, how some other players might regress or improve. From a far, far, far off distance I'm looking at DL and CB as potentially being priorities but its still way too early to tell. Once the 49ers have assembled their final 53, put however many guys on the IR, then its possible to take a few steps closer to the dartboard. Right now it's like being 100 feet back and completely blindfolded.

I don't think that people should necessarily expect Baalke to just change the way he does things because it makes sense in their own heads

. Before the draft in 2013 people were saying "no way the 49ers take more than 5 or 6 guys, there's no room on the roster." This year people were saying "No way, they draft more than 5 or 6 guys, there's no room on the roster." Just throw conventional wisdom right out the window because there's nothing conventional about how Baalke handles his business. As Peter King said in his column from today, "It's Trent Baalke's drafting world and we're only visiting it"

In the end, Baalke gonna Baalke and we're just along for the ride.

We're going to be sending a lot of draftee's to other teams. I'm kinda over not picking up a WR earlier but am still concerned with the CB position. Brock played well last year (ints) in part because QB's were testing him. I think he'll get more "respect" this season and QB's will pick on Culliver more (but Brock also gives up some big plays). We'll be tested early in the season with some pass happy teams. Hopefully I'm wrong about our outside corners.
[ Edited by Phil on May 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM ]
Great post on team-needs addressed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
My question is why are we only saying we might need a top flight WR in 2015 ? If my memory serves me right, have we not been talking about getting a bonafide deep threat vertical wideout for at least 2 years now ? The need had long been identified back at the end of the 2011 season. As such, Baalke went out to sign Randy Moss who as it turned out had long run out of gas in his tank. Then, he also drafted AJ Jenkins in the 2012 draft which as we all know has turned out to be a complete bust. This deep threat need further escalated as Kap became our starting QB half way through the 2012 season as he took over from Alex Smith given his immense arm strength. So, what did Baalke do ? In the 2013 draft, Baalke drafted Quinton Patton in the 4th round, was he supposed to be that deep threat answer then ? Or is it supposed to be Brandon Lloyd who is already 32 which I doubt ? Or could it be Stevie Johnson who is more known as a slot receiver ? Or perhaps Bruce Ellington who is also more known as a slot wideout ? Not saying he can't play deep, are we going to line him up on the outside and is he supposed to be that deep threat answer ? I might be wrong, but I doubt Baalke had "deep threat" in mind when he signed Stevie Johnson and drafted Bruce Ellington. One thing for sure, neither Anquan nor Crab is that guy as they are both possession WRs.

In short, what I am saying is Baalke has never addressed that need properly or with success for more than 2 years now. So, do we need a top flight deep threat WR ? Absolutely, not may be in 2015, but this is an unfulfilled need which has been ongoing for years.
I disagree with your premise that Baalke is ignoring the speed dimension to this offense. Ginn, Kyle, Moss and Delanie gave us the speed dimension in 2011 and 2012. Mario and Kyle never really came back in 2013, and of course AJ Jenknos was a bust in 2012-2013. Jenkins draft choice was supposed to be our speed WR but failed. So he's legitimately tried to get more speed, and when he did see Jenkins as a bust, he got a whole bunch of free agents that had speed but none of them panned out for us in 2013.

Having said that, he's not had the success we'd hope with speed WR's. Again the AJ Jenkins bust gives everybody a wrong impression about that with Baalke. Personally, I think they will continue to invest in speed WR's from here on in. that, and power runners like Hyde and powerful man blockers like Marcus.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I'm over it. I agree we should have picked up a WR in the second round but we seem to have some sort of jesus magic in trading for vets. No jesus magic in developing WR's. I really hope we hold onto Crabtree.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I'm over it. I agree we should have picked up a WR in the second round but we seem to have some sort of jesus magic in trading for vets. No jesus magic in developing WR's. I really hope we hold onto Crabtree.
Share 49ersWebzone