LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

MadDog49er's FInal Draft Review and Niners' Draft Grade

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Eastcoast, Barr showed me very little at UCLA to be worthy of the #9 overall pick.

I'm not arguing that Barr was worth that high of a pick, but there is a huge difference between Barr and Lynch whether you look at stats, measurables, or tape (Barr's tape doesn't match his production or draft position - he is still raw and his instincts need work, but his athleticism shows in games). Barr plays hard which isn't always the case with Lynch.

Your both right, but IMO,the most important stat concerning DE Lynch is that 5 inch horizontal leap in between his Ears.....
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Jimmie Ward pick was like the Aldon Smith pick. In 2011 I thought we might draft Gabbert who Harbaugh attempted to recruit but they took Smith. I was expecting Bradley Roby or a Wide Receiver but they took Jimmie Ward and when you watch them both on film you can see why.

I love the picks and love the draft but I wish these young men selected would get a real shot to play on Sundays. Such as Ellington whom will have to win the returners job to be active, how can he get playing time with Crabs, Boldin, Johnson and Patton?

Martin will he really get a shot to unseat Kilgore whom is a favorite of the OL Coach.

Lynch pick is worth the risk they invested by drafting him, especially with his college coach giving a recommendation to Harbs.

As far as CB where the two undrafted players from Florida not worth drafting?
Woah this thread got derailed for a minute there... back on topic... Love the first 3 picks, which I can see you also did.

Maddog, with 12 picks, you see any surprise cuts this coming year?

Also, I think Hyde plays more than Gore. He's already a better runner right now, we'll have to see if he can pick up our protection assignments.
Thank you, MadDog...You deserve far more credit for the contribution you make to the Draft section of the boards..
Thanks MadDog...nice round up. I agree with most of your comments, not all.

Agree regarding the future and cover safeties...which I have been arguing since the concusion lawsuit made it apparent the league had to make a stand against helmet hits. Seattle beat us to it but now the niners are compiling a nice group of guys who are tough, fast, and able to cover...smart. The key is to interrupt the routes, harrass receivers, and just use pushing and pulling to the limit...and then past the limit.

I like Skov to compete with Borland...see if they can inspire each other...not that they need it.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks MadDog...nice round up. I agree with most of your comments, not all.

Agree regarding the future and cover safeties...which I have been arguing since the concusion lawsuit made it apparent the league had to make a stand against helmet hits. Seattle beat us to it but now the niners are compiling a nice group of guys who are tough, fast, and able to cover...smart. The key is to interrupt the routes, harrass receivers, and just use pushing and pulling to the limit...and then past the limit.

I like Skov to compete with Borland...see if they can inspire each other...not that they need it.

I don't see Borland not making the team, the kid is a baller, I think the competition is between Nick Moody and Shayne Skov for a roster spot. Then once Bowman is back, we have a decision to make. I would hate to be Baalke, so I'm happy being Paraag Marathe, I don't have to make roster decisions. Just structure deals.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Baalke interviewed the guy more than once and Harbaugh's good friend and Lynch's coach vouched for the kid. I have to believe that the team had way more information than anyone on this board about Lynch.

My thoughts on Lynch are that while he's a bit of a headcase and kind of an a*****e, he doesn't have a rap sheet, he hasn't gotten into trouble with the law, he hasn't been charged with a DUI, it seems like he had some family issues going on and he seems rather immature although for a guy that only just turned 21, it necessarily isn't all that unusual. If he gets all his issues worked out, nobody is questioning his talent or ability to make plays. Taggart's endorsement of Lynch to Harbaugh is a very good sign since they have such a close relationship, I don't think Taggart would feel pressured to sugar-coat anything necessarily.

With a 5th round pick, its worth the risk, if he plays up the level he is capable of, the 49ers would have a pretty ridiculous steal on their hands. I think the upside on Lynch is so high that you can't help but take a shot at him, for better or worse.

Barrows wrote an article about Lynch, including this video which was Lynch at his best pretty much. It shows what he is fully capable of doing out on the football field.

Personally I think Lynch should work as a 3rd down pass rusher and slowly transition to a DE, taking time over the span of a year or two to add quality mass and work up to 275...280ish.....
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Maybe the Niners can find someone to do an exorcism on Lynch. Just sayin.......

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't see Borland not making the team, the kid is a baller, I think the competition is between Nick Moody and Shayne Skov for a roster spot. Then once Bowman is back, we have a decision to make. I would hate to be Baalke, so I'm happy being Paraag Marathe, I don't have to make roster decisions. Just structure deals.

LOL...yeah, I'd hate to be the guy making cuts! I have both making the final 53, and Moody possibly being traded for a late round pick next year. Other teams may be willing to make this kind of deal with the niners rather than waiting until cut down day and competing with the herd. Moody has enough talent to warrant this interest from a LB needy team. Keeping two rookies over a third year guy saves money.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
LOL...yeah, I'd hate to be the guy making cuts! I have both making the final 53, and Moody possibly being traded for a late round pick next year. Other teams may be willing to make this kind of deal with the niners rather than waiting until cut down day and competing with the herd. Moody has enough talent to warrant this interest from a LB needy team. Keeping two rookies over a third year guy saves money.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Wilhoite as the odd man out even. Yeah, I said it. Wilhoite has a year left on his contract, he's going to be a free agent after the season while Moody still has 3 years left on a very affordable contract.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I wouldn't be shocked to see Wilhoite as the odd man out even. Yeah, I said it. Wilhoite has a year left on his contract, he's going to be a free agent after the season while Moody still has 3 years left on a very affordable contract.

Agree...such an amazing situation! I look through the roster and just can't believe the amont of talent! There is no possition without competition coming up in training camp...except QB and perhaps TE. Not saying every player is indespensible...but Wow is there a ton of talent across the board.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Man, that's going to be very tough call.

Last season, Wilhoite played very well coming off the bench. If he's still playing at the high a level or better - maybe they'll trade him.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Man, that's going to be very tough call.

Last season, Wilhoite played very well coming off the bench. If he's still playing at the high a level or better - maybe they'll trade him.

I could also see that. If Moody shows any promise, I could see the upside of trading a guy like Wilhoite since I'm not entirely sure the 49ers bring him back after the season anyways. Still more likely that Moody and/or Skov get cut but wouldn't shock me to see Wilhoite and even a guy like Dobbs sent packing.
Skov will end up on the PUP to let him fully recover. If we are talking about the 4th ILB there is no reason to rush it. Wilhoite can finish out his contract this year and we can get a comp pick for him when he's picked up by somebody else because of what he did here. Next year Skov and Moody can battle for that 4th spot behind Borland.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Skov will end up on the PUP to let him fully recover. If we are talking about the 4th ILB there is no reason to rush it. Wilhoite can finish out his contract this year and we can get a comp pick for him when he's picked up by somebody else because of what he did here. Next year Skov and Moody can battle for that 4th spot behind Borland.

What happens when Bowman returns and you have 4 other ILB's on the roster?
Share 49ersWebzone