There are 271 users in the forums

MadDog49er's FInal Draft Review and Niners' Draft Grade

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Hey MD~

Great post as usual. I know some Zoners don't appreciate your candid views but I do. Better candid than sugar coated. I did want to say that looking at pure numbers, I can understand why the Niners took flyers on CBs Reaser and Acker. Both appear to be good athletes....and fast.

For the Zoners, here are the numbers...

Reaser: 5'10" tall, 189 lbs., 4.32 40 yd. (best), 22 reps of 225 lbs. (so a very strong kid),
According to NFL.com, he is a "good-sized, smooth-moving, man-cover corner who showed the ability to mirror before a knee injury cut short his senior season."

Acker: 6' tall, 190 lbs., 4.42 40 yd. (best), 11 reps of 225 lbs., 36" vertical jump, 6.94 3-cone drill
According to NFL.com, he is a "big, short-area, zone corner with intriguing ball skills".

It seems to me the Niners just want good-sized CBs who are fast and athletic. They did the same thing in last year's draft with Cooper and this year with D. Johnson. Incidentally, as a reminder of why the Niners have kept Chris Culliver.
Culliver: 6'0" tall, 199 lbs., 4.32 40 yard (best), 15 reps of 225 lbs., 38.5" vertical jump, 6.88 3-cone drill. Just saying.

My guess is the Niners liked Reaser a bit better than Acker because he is so strong. Since Baalke has a good track record with late round corners, I'm going to give the team a pass on these 2 picks, especially since one of them will be on PUP all year.

I'm curious MD, what about Reaser made you give him a "C", other than value in the draft? Strong, fast corners would seem to be a good start on a developmental basis.

Cheers!

Thanks for the nice post. The primary reason for my grade on Reaser was value as a fifth rounder. He is a talented kid, but at 170, with two knee surgeries, a bit early for me. For example, in my own personal draft, I selected Jordan Tripp, a guy who is productive, healthy, and can contribute right away. Even in the fifth round, you should still get a guy who can make the 53 man, and doesn't have the question marks on recovery. If Reaser was an All American, might feel differently. He was a good college player, but not elite. Just too early for me. Hoping for a speedy recovery and a productive career. Would be happy to say Keith proved m wrong.
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Like your grades but, the next two-three years will tell the story, hopefully ending with SuperBowl Rings. Now, for my two dollars (inflation) on M Sam. I remember the hoopla about Tebow before, during, and after the draft. I believe he earned the attention for his PLAY ON THE FIELD! But, to "celebrate" someone for his CHOICE to be a homosexual is perverse liberalism at best.

Someone just smashed the Michael Sam reality show a couple days ago, and for good reason. He needs to be solely focused on football. All of the other distractions need to be eliminated, because he has a monstrous journey to undergo as a late rounder with limited athleticism. If he is trying to make his mark as a gay football player, he better focus on football and the notoriety as a gay man in the NFL as an afterthought.

Not sure who pulled the plug on the show. Hopefully, it was Sam taking a step back. I'm sure the line was long of those who did not think it was a good idea.
Hey Maddog great job this year. Looks like you and the Niners were on the same page. I like how we kept our same amount of picks after not trading up in the first round. Now let's hope you and the Niners hit out the park this year. Go Niners!
Originally posted by D-Money:
Hey Maddog great job this year. Looks like you and the Niners were on the same page. I like how we kept our same amount of picks after not trading up in the first round. Now let's hope you and the Niners hit out the park this year. Go Niners!

Hope so. I am sure the team discussed trading up, but the value was set high early with Buffalo's trade up to 4. Simply too rich for the team.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
You just never learn.

I remember having this argument with you before the 2011 draft. You were saying the same type of stuff about Cam Newton. He seems to be doing just fine.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/147861-what-yall-think-cam-newton/page33/

Digging in the archives. Well-done. Question: Would you take Cam with a top 10 pick in that year's re-draft? Not in that draft class.

He has had a pretty successful career so far. Rookie year- terrific. Sophomore year- Pretty much a mess. Third year- Better.

The point I made is that he did not have good character. He knew, and everybody knows, that he got away with a certain NCAA violation by selling his services to the highest bidder after being at the JUCO level. Some guys with bad character can play well at the next level; they can overcome it. I made that statement in the post. However, most struggle in the transition. Playing at a high level in the NFL takes a lot of work, discipline, determination. Most of the bad characters get filtered out because at the pro level they are going to find equally talented people....who will outwork them. Who will not party all night, but get proper rest. There are always exceptions, but the norm is the norm.

If Lynch was so exceptional, he wouldn't have been at the back end of the draft. He wasn't Cam Newton out of college, who won the Heisman and a national championship. He was a guy who was at his best more than two years ago, a player who has regressed instead of progressed.

I remain skeptical. I am guessing if the Seahawks selected Lynch, most of those who believe he can turn this around would be skeptical like me.

Obviously you don't understand my point. Apologies, poor communication on my part.

First, let's be clear about something.... You aren't being skeptical, you're being cynical. Having doubts is fine, but you must understand that skepticism includes acknowledging the existence of multiple possibilities. Your opinions are formed from cynicism because of your beliefs about humanity. You are jaded, so you don't bother with hope. Instead, you come to the conclusion that past behavior determines future behavior and even if the behavior in the future appears improved, it is all lies to hide the guilty truth.

This has nothing to do with production on the field. I said that Cam Newton seems to be doing just fine because he's not in jail and he's still the starting QB for the Panthers. It appears that he is succeeding at life.

Your assumptions that Lynch has "bad character" are based on reports from third parties. Your cynicism forces you to believe the negative reports are true and the positive reports from Harbaugh are lies. Not only are you judging a kid you've never met, you are giving him a life sentence.

You are doing all of that while remaining willfully ignorant regarding the developmental process of the human brain. This is not some untenable psycho-babble. This is neuroscience. Kids can change. You should accept the possibility and realize that your "grade" given should reflect that.
Can we skip the psychoanalysis of Maddog? He puts himself out there by rating the 49er draft picks, and many on this board, myself included, appreciate his review. He puts a lot of time researching the players, and we all benefit from it. In the case of Lynch, I would have never known how serious his red flags were except that he brought it up in his draft review.

As for the quote on neuroscience, you triggered a pet peeve of mine. Can we leave science out of arguments that have nothing to do with science? If neuroscience was so advanced that it could predict a person's future behavior, then the 49ers would just administer the test to Lynch and then draft him or not based on the results. If the only argument that you are trying to make is that a person can change, you don't need to appeal to neuroscience. We all know plenty of examples, Boone has been brought up as a good example. But people also have a tendency to repeat the same behavioral mistakes over and over. We do use past behavior to predict future results. One person is a convicted felon ,and the other is a honor-roll student, heavily involved in charity that has never had an issue with the law. If you have to make a choice, which one do you choose to trust?

What MadDog is using to justify his choices is risk. He prefers (along with most of the NFL) to make choices based on the risk that a player provides. High risk players tend to not get drafted, or get drafted in late rounds. Maybe the 5th round is late enough to take the risk, however in comparison to Boone, Boone went undrafted. The 49ers decided that his risk was worth the effort by bringing him as an undrafted free agent. In the case of Boone, it paid off.
[ Edited by fryet on May 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
Colt Lyerla is a MAJOR risk even though some said he had the talent to be the top TE in this draft ... so he didn't get a job until weeks after the draft. Now the Packers are hoping the very little amount the risked in bringing him in pays off handsomely.
8- Aaron Lynch- Suddenly the dark clouds appear. Worst pick of the day in value for the team. At 150, still a bunch of guys who are going to help the team. Lynch is a formerly great, self-indulged, spoiled, bad attitude, me-first train wreck of a person. Now onto his good characteristics...haha. If he makes the 53 man roster, it will be one of the greatest shocks. Do we really want to add this kid onto a list of guys with character questions on our team? No confidence in him. My pick at 150- Jackson Jeffcoat...who went undrafted, surprisingly, but will contribute more to the NFL than Lynch. GRADE: F-

Originally posted by SofaKing:
8- Aaron Lynch- Suddenly the dark clouds appear. Worst pick of the day in value for the team. At 150, still a bunch of guys who are going to help the team. Lynch is a formerly great, self-indulged, spoiled, bad attitude, me-first train wreck of a person. Now onto his good characteristics...haha. If he makes the 53 man roster, it will be one of the greatest shocks. Do we really want to add this kid onto a list of guys with character questions on our team? No confidence in him. My pick at 150- Jackson Jeffcoat...who went undrafted, surprisingly, but will contribute more to the NFL than Lynch. GRADE: F-

whoops lol. Really missed on Lynch vs Jeffcoat
MANY teams and PROFESSIONAL draft gurus missed on Lynch - BUTTT Baalke got him.
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

whoops lol. Really missed on Lynch vs Jeffcoat

Still MadDog wasn't far off on anyone else this year. Guess he would have to remove the minus from his A grade because Lynch has turned into a beast PLUS a respectable citizen and teammate. Can't wait for next year's redshirt class of Thomas, Reaser, Acker, Ramsey and Millard to show up along with another 7 picks in Baalke's hands.

I'm hoping Borland and Lynch get grade increases.
Guys, the rookie season for this draft is not even over yet, do not even wanna mention that one usually re-grades after season 3...
Borland lynch Johnson have changed our team. Grade A
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Here are my thoughts so far on the draft:

Ward: C - Has played ok, but not great. This is not a Reid pick like last year that will go to the Pro Bowl. Drafting a CB might have been a better option, but Cox has made up for that in a big way.
Hyde A - Hunter and LMJ gone? Fantastic pick. Personally, I thought the pick was unnecessary at the time.
Martin C - We definitely need him, but so far he isn't playing that great imo. Center to QB exchange is problematic.
Borland A - Definitely needed him this year, and he has been playing at an elite level except for his tendency to gamble.
Lynch A - This pick may still end up failing if he has locker room or off the field issues, however we needed a pash rush this year, and a 1 year wonder 5th round pick is worth it.
Dontae A - Productive late round player.

While this feels like a rebuilding year due to all of the injuries, we got to play a lot of rookies, and found out that we have quality depth. In fact, we may be forced to trade some of these talented players, because they are too good to sit on the bench. Still, a good problem to have.
I wonder if Maddog has ever increased someones grade from an F- to an A+ before. Because.. Lynch is an A+ at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone