LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

MadDog49er's FInal Draft Review and Niners' Draft Grade

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I believe in trends. Lynch burns bridges. If it was one source in one place that had a beef, you may be right. However, he left ND on bad terms, looked bad at the NFL combine (characterized as a liar by at least one team during the interview), and now has a guy at USF blasting away. At some point, the chance that this kid is really a "good guy" has to be minimal. Few teams are running around defending the character of a draftee at this point. That is not a good sign.

Trends are fairly good predictors, I agree.

Can you agree that a kid can change? Alex Boone had some pretty bad trends, too.

Try looking at it this way: You are an NFL HC. A very good friend of yours is a college HC. You respect him and his opinions. He gives you what you consider a good explanation regarding a draft prospect's past poor decisions. He explains to you why said draft prospect would become a better person if he were on your team... in a way that you find convincing.

Would you ignore this and request that your GM not draft the prospect... or would you recommend the prospect to your GM?

Trends or friends?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
One interesting note on the quality of character and how we choose to judge it.

Von Miller, linebacker from Denver, is facing a minimum mandatory suspension of one year for violating the rules.

Somehow, few if any posters have included him among the young and dumb, much less insinuated that he has demonstrated a clearly flawed sense of right and wrong.

Pretty soon that entire first round from 2011 will be suspended. Dareus looks to be in trouble as well.

Hmmm... Aldon, Miller, and Dareus.... Aren't they The Super Friends?
I think the drafting of Aaron Lynch boils down to this.............. The Niners have a stacked roster and had drafted 5 guys already who will make the team. In the later rounds ( which I would classify as 5, 6, and 7) it made all the sense in the world to swing for the fences with a kid with first or 2nd rd talent and a big upside. They did their due dilligence with his college coach and a guy who Harbaugh completely respects and felt he is worth the risk.

How many other guys in this round have the potential of Lynch? I doubt many. I think giving him a draft grade at all is ridiculous at this point. If he shows that he can get his head right and make an impact then its an A+. If he doesn't, then they release a late round pick which happens every single year to most teams. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
So, maybe he comes off as an arrogant, self-centered jerk, but he's not a drug addict or a thief.

Adderol is used to treat ADHD, aka attention deficit disorder. So he's got some problems, but also some potential, and has tried to address his problems.

He's got a long road ahead of him, I believe, and we'll see if he lives up to his potential.

I see him as a project, not a candidate for the 53 man roster this year.

Not everyone can be a Jimmy Ward, who looks and sounds like a "starter" at the nickel CB, and looks and sounds like a great kid as well. I can't wait to see him in action this year, and to see how the Niners utilize his talents. How much will he get to play at the safety position? Will they take advantage of his versatility and disguise the coverage schemes they use? Exciting possibilities.

I don't think anyone is classifying him as a criminal, since there is no reason. But, as you know, locker room chemistry is vital, and I don't think (based on the way he has rubbed people wrong no matter where he goes) this was a wise selection. As stated earlier, I could be totally wrong. He may end up a solid kid, a great contributor, etc. At the same time, I would rather not deal with this issue. There are plenty other talented players with less baggage.

I understand your point, but can also see why the Niners might take a chance. 1. He's got a lot of talent, a lot of upside, at a position that's not easy to fill. 2. They've got a veteran locker room that's not likely to put up with any BS from a rookie, so its unlikely that he's going to adversely affect the chemistry. Think Gore, Willis, Cowboy, Staley, etc. are going to put up with any BS from Lynch, or anyone else? Seems doubtful.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think the drafting of Aaron Lynch boils down to this.............. The Niners have a stacked roster and had drafted 5 guys already who will make the team. In the later rounds ( which I would classify as 5, 6, and 7) it made all the sense in the world to swing for the fences with a kid with first or 2nd rd talent and a big upside. They did their due dilligence with his college coach and a guy who Harbaugh completely respects and felt he is worth the risk.

How many other guys in this round have the potential of Lynch? I doubt many. I think giving him a draft grade at all is ridiculous at this point. If he shows that he can get his head right and make an impact then its an A+. If he doesn't, then they release a late round pick which happens every single year to most teams. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Agree. If he doesn't pan out, he joins a long line of 5th round draft picks who amount to nothing. If he regains the form he had at ND, we get a monster pass rusher. It's worth the investment.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I'm really interested in seeing if Martin can win the starting center position. He appears to have all the physical tools, but needs to learn the system and terminology. He and Ward and Hyde look like the best additions to an already deep roster. IMHO.

When you look at his highlight film, Martin seems like he might be a lot better at pass protection. He seems to clog up the middle real well. Hopefully, he gets in there and Kaepernick is able to step up in the pocket more often.
I don't really care one way or another about Lynch ... but if you are for Lynch shouldn't the 49ers have taken a swing at Lyerla too?
Originally posted by Scoots:
I don't really care one way or another about Lynch ... but if you are for Lynch shouldn't the 49ers have taken a swing at Lyerla too?

Lyerla strikes me as simply beyond reclamation. Not only does he have red flags, but they're burning.

What...you want them to take all the knuckleheads? They should leave a few for other teams...it's only fair!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I dunno... is Harbaugh BFFs with Lyerla's college HC?

Lyerla and Lynch are and have completely different issues

If Lynch is a prick who cares, he'll get cut then. He is still way overhyped even when he was at his best as a freshman. Cant see him being anything more than a PS candidate, Lemonoir and Skuta arent going anywhere so his chances are already very slim unless Aldons suspended for a substantial amount of time.
Lynch...give him 2 years...if our coaches and management can;t get through to him then we cut him. it's not like we spent a 1st round pick on him.

he does have pro bowl potential due to his athletic skill set alone.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Lynch...give him 2 years...if our coaches and management can;t get through to him then we cut him. it's not like we spent a 1st round pick on him.

he does have pro bowl potential due to his athletic skill set alone.

My thoughts as well...why not? The team can evaluate the guy during camp and if he doesn't work out they haven't invested much. It's probably a better bet than Taylor Mays...by three rounds!
Originally posted by British9er:
the FO has been saying for the last couple of years that they wanted two safeties that are completely interchangeable at FS and SS such that it disguises the coverages that the defence are playing....Whitner left in part I am convinced because he could only play SS. Reid and Belthea are close to 1a and 1b but Reid and Ward are definately the combo further down the line that will confuse the QB whose coming down into the box and whose staying ....or maybe they are both staying or in coverage or both playing down....

Back end will have strong coverage skills. Something to look forward to.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Trends are fairly good predictors, I agree.

Can you agree that a kid can change? Alex Boone had some pretty bad trends, too.

Try looking at it this way: You are an NFL HC. A very good friend of yours is a college HC. You respect him and his opinions. He gives you what you consider a good explanation regarding a draft prospect's past poor decisions. He explains to you why said draft prospect would become a better person if he were on your team... in a way that you find convincing.

Would you ignore this and request that your GM not draft the prospect... or would you recommend the prospect to your GM?

Trends or friends?

Good question. I think each situation warrants a unique response. In the case of Boone, he was a drunk, but not a guy who was an a**hole. Chemistry a big part of the equation to me.
Share 49ersWebzone