There are 255 users in the forums

MadDog49er's FInal Draft Review and Niners' Draft Grade

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SoCold:
yeah, I'm sure he was

Was a bit strange that the top guy on my board in the first three picks were the ones that Baalke selected. Will never happen in a million years again. Should have bought a lottery ticket right away.

it's not as significant as you're making it out to be

four of the five guys you said they would take at 30 were still there and they didn't, clearly you wanted them to take a WR wit that pick

is it really that hard to admit you were wrong?
Phenomenal recap analysis. Great work, MadDog; keep it up.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Tweet about Aaron Lynch gets USF assistant suspended

USF strength and conditioning coach Hans Straub has been suspended for a tweet he made disparaging the San Francisco 49ers after they drafted a Bulls player.

247sports.com reported that after the 49ers selected USF defensive end Aaron Lynch in the fifth round Saturday, Straub tweeted,

"Thought an organization with 5 Super Bowl titles would have a stricter draft criteria. Clearly, integrity & character are not a priority."

That led to what 247sports.com is calling "an indefinite suspension."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349933/article/report-tweet-about-aaron-lynch-gets-usf-assistant-suspended

just fanning the flames or how social media could be seen as opportunity for stupid to come knocking.

Got to be careful these days when you hit SEND.

Clearly, something that all of us could learn from.
Originally posted by buck:
Tweet about Aaron Lynch gets USF assistant suspended

USF strength and conditioning coach Hans Straub has been suspended for a tweet he made disparaging the San Francisco 49ers after they drafted a Bulls player.

247sports.com reported that after the 49ers selected USF defensive end Aaron Lynch in the fifth round Saturday, Straub tweeted,

"Thought an organization with 5 Super Bowl titles would have a stricter draft criteria. Clearly, integrity & character are not a priority."

That led to what 247sports.com is calling "an indefinite suspension."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349933/article/report-tweet-about-aaron-lynch-gets-usf-assistant-suspended

just fanning the flames or how social media could be seen as opportunity for stupid to come knocking.

Got to be careful these days when you hit SEND. However, another example of another bridge burnt by Lynch in the past. Keep this dude away from Culliver, Cook, and Aldon.

I don't know. Any coach who takes the time to try to ruin a young athlete's one big chance to get into the NFL seems like the bigger a-hole to me. And, the fact that the a-hole has been suspended makes me think that the coaches higher up on the ladder are on Lynch's side. I'm glad the bitter old a-hole was suspended. What a dick.
I like the Lynch pick... but beating out Lemonoir (who had basically the same combine scores as many first round picks) and Mr Do-everything well Skuta... I can see him getting coached up by us but plucked off the PS.
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't know. Any coach who takes the time to try to ruin a young athlete's one big chance to get into the NFL seems like the bigger a-hole to me. And, the fact that the a-hole has been suspended makes me think that the coaches higher up on the ladder are on Lynch's side. I'm glad the bitter old a-hole was suspended. What a dick.

This. Lynch is 21 years old, he may be immature, he may be a prick to people but this coach was a douchebag for what he did. Showed an even more immature mentality. If you have a problem with a prospect, let teams know during the draft process, after that you're just being a jerk for no reason other than trying to 'poison the well' for the player.

If the head coach vouched for Lynch, then this coach had nothing to say about it.
The part that I dislike the most about the Lynch pick is that the Niners are trying to capture the player this guy was as true freshman at Notre Dame (2011). 99 out of 100 times when you try to chase the past in the draft it doesn't workout. I always favor the guys who get better each college season.
Originally posted by FastEddyD:
The part that I dislike the most about the Lynch pick is that the Niners are trying to capture the player this guy was as true freshman at Notre Dame (2011). 99 out of 100 times when you try to chase the past in the draft it doesn't workout. I always favor the guys who get better each college season.

As do I, but for a 5th round pick, you're not risking a whole lot on him.
You need a few bad boys on your team. This is the NFL!

The Seachickens have some nad boys and they just bullied the Bronco's in the superbowl. Look at what our bad boy did on the first play in the NFC Championship game. He took the ball!

While our other so called bad boy (CK7) ran all over them. Our good guys Carlos Rogers and Eric Reid made some game changing mistakes.

Give me the guy that will get it done by any means! Our Lynch will probably try to (literally) kill Marshawn Lynch & Wilson!

What happened when we gave the cowboys are official bad boy (Charles Haley)?
  • buck
  • Veteran
One interesting note on the quality of character and how we choose to judge it.

Von Miller, linebacker from Denver, is facing a minimum mandatory suspension of one year for violating the rules.

Somehow, few if any posters have included him among the young and dumb, much less insinuated that he has demonstrated a clearly flawed sense of right and wrong.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
You just never learn.

I remember having this argument with you before the 2011 draft. You were saying the same type of stuff about Cam Newton. He seems to be doing just fine.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/147861-what-yall-think-cam-newton/page33/

Digging in the archives. Well-done. Question: Would you take Cam with a top 10 pick in that year's re-draft? Not in that draft class.

He has had a pretty successful career so far. Rookie year- terrific. Sophomore year- Pretty much a mess. Third year- Better.

The point I made is that he did not have good character. He knew, and everybody knows, that he got away with a certain NCAA violation by selling his services to the highest bidder after being at the JUCO level. Some guys with bad character can play well at the next level; they can overcome it. I made that statement in the post. However, most struggle in the transition. Playing at a high level in the NFL takes a lot of work, discipline, determination. Most of the bad characters get filtered out because at the pro level they are going to find equally talented people....who will outwork them. Who will not party all night, but get proper rest. There are always exceptions, but the norm is the norm.

If Lynch was so exceptional, he wouldn't have been at the back end of the draft. He wasn't Cam Newton out of college, who won the Heisman and a national championship. He was a guy who was at his best more than two years ago, a player who has regressed instead of progressed.

I remain skeptical. I am guessing if the Seahawks selected Lynch, most of those who believe he can turn this around would be skeptical like me.

Obviously you don't understand my point. Apologies, poor communication on my part.

First, let's be clear about something.... You aren't being skeptical, you're being cynical. Having doubts is fine, but you must understand that skepticism includes acknowledging the existence of multiple possibilities. Your opinions are formed from cynicism because of your beliefs about humanity. You are jaded, so you don't bother with hope. Instead, you come to the conclusion that past behavior determines future behavior and even if the behavior in the future appears improved, it is all lies to hide the guilty truth.

This has nothing to do with production on the field. I said that Cam Newton seems to be doing just fine because he's not in jail and he's still the starting QB for the Panthers. It appears that he is succeeding at life.

Your assumptions that Lynch has "bad character" are based on reports from third parties. Your cynicism forces you to believe the negative reports are true and the positive reports from Harbaugh are lies. Not only are you judging a kid you've never met, you are giving him a life sentence.

You are doing all of that while remaining willfully ignorant regarding the developmental process of the human brain. This is not some untenable psycho-babble. This is neuroscience. Kids can change. You should accept the possibility and realize that your "grade" given should reflect that.
the FO has been saying for the last couple of years that they wanted two safeties that are completely interchangeable at FS and SS such that it disguises the coverages that the defence are playing....Whitner left in part I am convinced because he could only play SS. Reid and Belthea are close to 1a and 1b but Reid and Ward are definately the combo further down the line that will confuse the QB whose coming down into the box and whose staying ....or maybe they are both staying or in coverage or both playing down....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Baalke interviewed the guy more than once and Harbaugh's good friend and Lynch's coach vouched for the kid. I have to believe that the team had way more information than anyone on this board about Lynch.

My thoughts on Lynch are that while he's a bit of a headcase and kind of an a*****e, he doesn't have a rap sheet, he hasn't gotten into trouble with the law, he hasn't been charged with a DUI, it seems like he had some family issues going on and he seems rather immature although for a guy that only just turned 21, it necessarily isn't all that unusual. If he gets all his issues worked out, nobody is questioning his talent or ability to make plays. Taggart's endorsement of Lynch to Harbaugh is a very good sign since they have such a close relationship, I don't think Taggart would feel pressured to sugar-coat anything necessarily.

With a 5th round pick, its worth the risk, if he plays up the level he is capable of, the 49ers would have a pretty ridiculous steal on their hands. I think the upside on Lynch is so high that you can't help but take a shot at him, for better or worse.

Barrows wrote an article about Lynch, including this video which was Lynch at his best pretty much. It shows what he is fully capable of doing out on the football field.

Personally I think Lynch should work as a 3rd down pass rusher and slowly transition to a DE, taking time over the span of a year or two to add quality mass and work up to 275...280ish.....

Looks to me the way he plays off blocks, through (holds the point) a around blocks while still getting upfield and with his pass rush ability and that he'd be playing at 260, he's an ideal Ahmad Brooks in two years at the SAM.
Originally posted by British9er:
the FO has been saying for the last couple of years that they wanted two safeties that are completely interchangeable at FS and SS such that it disguises the coverages that the defence are playing....Whitner left in part I am convinced because he could only play SS. Reid and Belthea are close to 1a and 1b but Reid and Ward are definately the combo further down the line that will confuse the QB whose coming down into the box and whose staying ....or maybe they are both staying or in coverage or both playing down....

Good point - interchangeable safeties, both of whom have good coverage skills, is where the league is heading. Credit Baalke and the Niners front office for recognizing the trend early and making moves to be on top of it.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Not sure how soon we'll see. No way he's anything but a practice squad guy this year, like Boone was his first year. He'll have plenty of opportunities to screw up if, in fact, he's as bad a character as the USF assistant coach apparently believes.

BTW, were there media reports about his problems at ND and the reasons he transferred? What did they say? No criminal cases against him, but "football related" problems. Do you know what they were? Stealing from his teammates, or just being an arrogant jerk?

Read that he was not well liked at Notre Dame, was perceived as a me-first guy, and was not popular with the other players on the team. Wish I had a source for you to view.
Share 49ersWebzone