LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Entire Draft & UDFA Signings!

Grade the 49ers Entire Draft & UDFA Signings!

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You also have to add to this "draft class":

1.) Blaine Gabbert, backup QB
2.) Jonathan Martin, backup OT
3.) Stevie Johnson, WR
4.) Marcus Lattimore, RB (redshirt last year)
5.) Tank Carradine, DE (redshirt last year)
6.) Quinton Dial, DE/OLB (pretty much redshirted)

7.) Jimmie Ward, CB/S
8.) Carlos Hyde, RB
9.) Marcus Martin, C
10.) Chris Borland, ILB
11.) Brandon Thomas, OL
12.) Bruce Ellington, WR/ST
13.) Dontae Johnson, CB
14.) Aaron Lynch, DE/OLB
15.) Keith Reaser, CB
16.) Kenneth Acker, CB
17.) Kaleb Ramsey, DL
18.) Trey Millard, FB/HB

If you do that don't you need to remove all the injured guys from this years class?
Depends on the criteria for judging, but I give this draft class and A+ based on:

1) Drafting at the end of each round 3rd year in a row.
2) Using trades to gain picks for the next draft.
3) FA/Trades to fill immediate needs with vets--Bethea, Johnson. Gabbert.
4) Drafting for the future.
5) Getting a top talent (one of the best three) at positions-C, RB, S/CB, ILB, Speed WR.
6)Taking solid football players no matter the combine numbers--Borland.

And for those who think they drafted too many players--they traded for another pick (4th) for next year and they do not have a crystal ball to figure out who will be injured or who will outplay another guy. So, my list of potential starters down the road:

Future Starters
Ward
Hyde
Martin
Borland
Thomas
Ellington

Outside shot:
D Johnson
Lynch
Millard
2 small school CBs
Originally posted by bigwads:
Wow, some serious homerism here. At the end of the day we didn't select one player that should start week one. I gave a C- and it could have been an F.

I hear that, but in fairness, who could we have possibly drafted that would be a starter week one? No WR in the draft after Watkins would start over Crabtree and Boldin. We could have moved up for a big CB that could have possibly beat Culliver or Brock, but that is about the only move that could have produced an immediate starter.

As it stands, Jimmie Ward will be a big contributor as the nickel CB. That is pretty much 1 starter right there.

Borland could start in place of Bowman to start the season (must beat Wilhoite).

Marcus Martin was the top rated center in the draft and could start at C (must beat Kilgore).

Hyde was the top rated RB in the draft. I love Frank Gore, but he is past his prime and Hyde has the ability to win the starting job outright (must beat Gore and Lattimore).

So if you count nickel CB as a starter, I think this draft class will produce 2-3 week one starters and several more key backups.
I graded it an A because up to the 4th round we got outstanding value for every pick. After we picked Ellington, the picks are eh. I would have given it an A+ if we had continued picking players that dropped, instead of unknowns, injury prones, and projects.
Originally posted by jreff22:
You also have to add to this "draft class":

1.) Blaine Gabbert, backup QB
2.) Jonathan Martin, backup OT
3.) Stevie Johnson, WR
4.) Marcus Lattimore, RB (redshirt last year)
5.) Tank Carradine, DE (redshirt last year)
6.) Quinton Dial, DE/OLB (pretty much redshirted)

7.) Jimmie Ward, CB/S
8.) Carlos Hyde, RB
9.) Marcus Martin, C
10.) Chris Borland, ILB
11.) Brandon Thomas, OL
12.) Bruce Ellington, WR/ST
13.) Dontae Johnson, CB
14.) Aaron Lynch, DE/OLB
15.) Keith Reaser, CB
16.) Kenneth Acker, CB
17.) Kaleb Ramsey, DL
18.) Trey Millard, FB/HB

If you do that don't you need to remove all the injured guys from this years class?

Boner killer.

For Thomas and Reaser, yah...they seem to be clear redshirt candidates. IMO, Ramsey should be ready to go by training camp, and there's an outside shot that Millard might be ready for a mid-season activation, so we'll have to wait on those guys.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I graded it an A because up to the 4th round we got outstanding value for every pick. After we picked Ellington, the picks are eh. I would have given it an A+ if we had continued picking players that dropped, instead of unknowns, injury prones, and projects.

By the end of the 4th round, the draft starts to thin out, so you have to get creative. Not to mention, Aaron Lynch is considered a first round talent and project player who was picked up in the 5th. Reaser, Ramsey and Millard all have a ton of talent, but injuries dropped them as well, so I think they did that...but the main reason guys drop that far usually has to do with injuries or major off-the-field issues. For the most part, we avoided those kinda guys and went for the talented-but-injured guys.

By the end of the 4th round, the draft starts to thin out, so you have to get creative. Not to mention, Aaron Lynch is considered a first round talent and project player who was picked up in the 5th. Reaser, Ramsey and Millard all have a ton of talent, but injuries dropped them as well, so I think they did that...but the main reason guys drop that far usually has to do with injuries or major off-the-field issues. For the most part, we avoided those kinda guys and went for the talented-but-injured guys.

My quarrel is that there were still a bunch of people that were highly regarded still left. I don't mind the Lynch and Millard picks, I feel we could have done more like them. I would have felt more comfortable picking up someone like Antonio Richardson (would Snyder really beat him out for a spot?) or Rashaad Reynolds (wouldn't he be competitive with most of our corners?) for extremely cheap in the 7th round.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on May 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM ]
My quarrel is that there were still a bunch of people that were highly regarded still left. I don't mind the Lynch and Millard picks, I feel we could have done more like them. I would have felt more comfortable picking up someone like Antonio Richardson (would Snyder really beat him out for a spot?) or Rashaad Reynolds (wouldn't he be competitive with most of our corners?) for extremely cheap in the 7th round.

Actually I'm tempted to give the draft an F- because Snyder still has a clear path to the 53
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by Jd925:
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB B+: Star potential on another team, but I prefer Lattimore so I see a backup role. Gore's backup role is still up for grabs. Would be A, but downgraded to B+ because we have Lattimore.

If Hyde has the potential to be a star, why would it be bad if he is behind lattimore? If Hyde becomes a star, the only way he will be behind Lattimore is if Lattimore is a better star. Thats not a bad thing.

I see Lattimore and Hyde being like Arian Foster/Ben Tate like combo
Originally posted by znk916:
Actually I'm tempted to give the draft an F- because Snyder still has a clear path to the 53

With the Martin Bros. on board? I'm not so sure about that.

This draft shows all the pre-draft talk means nothing. No one figured 49ers to take a RB with 2nd round pick, but we stuck to our player value order and Hyde was atop that list.

We will see who get earn playing time this year and see how they do. I fear Ellington will get lost on the depth chart behind - Crabtree, bodin, johnson, patton, and possibly Lloyd if he stays.

Well, Richardson and Reynolds both went undrafted, for what it's worth. Maybe the acquisition of Jonathan Martin combined with the progress of big Luke Marquardt (6'8", 315) and the former college TE Carter Bykowski (6'7", 300+) made them feel like they didn't need any more young OTs to challenge Snyder for that last spot.

I liked Reynolds too, but I can see why they liked Reaser better with his 4.3 speed. They can stash him away on the PuP/NFI list and not worry about him being cut/picked up, whereas Reynolds might've had a hard time making the team. He would've had to beat out Culliver, Brock, Ward, Johnson, veterans Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Chris Cook AND the guy they picked the round before, Kenneth Acker. Personally, I can see why they went with a draft-and-stash guy.

Highly regarded by whom? It only matters if they were highly regarded by the 49ers. Don't fool yourself into thinking that what Kiper, McShay, CBS Sports and NFL.com considered "highly regarded" as having anything to do with the names the 49ers had up on their board.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM ]
My favorite pick is the Marcus Martin pick, probably because I actually had the 49ers draft him around the same area in my mock draft. Everyone else, however, I was way off.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kentc1978:
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by Jd925:
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB B+: Star potential on another team, but I prefer Lattimore so I see a backup role. Gore's backup role is still up for grabs. Would be A, but downgraded to B+ because we have Lattimore.

If Hyde has the potential to be a star, why would it be bad if he is behind lattimore? If Hyde becomes a star, the only way he will be behind Lattimore is if Lattimore is a better star. Thats not a bad thing.

I see Lattimore and Hyde being like Arian Foster/Ben Tate like combo
i will be sad to see frank go and perhaps hunter but I want to make sure these guys can do the job before we dispatch of hunter . f**k james. i love kendall but understand he is in his last year and will be pushed by the two kids.
Share 49ersWebzone