LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Entire Draft & UDFA Signings!

Grade the 49ers Entire Draft & UDFA Signings!

Originally posted by bigwads:
Wow, some serious homerism here. At the end of the day we didn't select one player that should start week one. I gave a C- and it could have been an F.

lol that is a TERRIBLE way to judge a draft. Were one of the 3 best rosters in the NFL, and we didnt have a top 10 pick. Who did you think we would get?

BTW, Marcus Martin could very much start week 1 at C, and Jimmie Ward will be our starting Nickel CB.

So suggesting this draft was a C- to an F just proves that you have NO idea what youre talking about. Its probably best if you stop talking about it. Every expert said we killed it in this draft. We got TONS of value, and picked the number 1 ranked SS, RB, and C, as well as the number 2 ILB.
[ Edited by Niners99 on May 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM ]
Wow, some serious homerism here. At the end of the day we didn't select one player that should start week one. I gave a C- and it could have been an F.

Well, it's being widely applauded around the patch so I think your charge of homerism is unsupportable.

If you base draft quality on the number of players who will start Week 1 you would be better off supporting a team like the Raiders. With a very strong roster, breaking in will be hard. But I think we will have one starter on week one.

More importantly, we have a bundle of players who will contribute during the season and who will be there when injuries or losses to free agency strike. This is a deep and very strong draft.

One poster has given it an F. Probably a Seahawks fan.
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol that is a TERRIBLE way to judge a draft. Were one of the 3 best rosters in the NFL, and we didnt have a top 10 pick. Who did you think we would get?

BTW, Marcus Martin could very much start week 1 at C, and Jimmie Ward will be our starting Nickel CB.

So suggesting this draft was a C- to an F just proves that you have NO idea what youre talking about. Its probably best if you stop talking about it. Every expert said we killed it in this draft. We got TONS of value, and picked the number 1 ranked SS, RB, and C, as well as the number 2 ILB.

Enough said A+.... Baalke does it again
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I gave it an A and I'm including the trade for Johnson in my assessment. Not a lot of starters, but how many starting spots are honestly open right now? Maybe CB, but we woulda had to give up a bunch to get one of the top guys. We got great depth and now have the NFL's best roster, no question. Three 1000 yard receivers and we have young talent in QP and Ellington to groom for a year. We got a proven NFL starting WR for nothing. CBs, we got some guys that can learn and compete and get better. Baalke stayed true to the teams identity and drafted the best RB in the draft AND got the best center. Hopefully our pocket wont collapse through the middle so often. Lots of raw material and I love our positional coaching minus WR. If guys go down this year we should be in very good shape.

I think if you fielded our 2nd string team it could beat the lower third of the league's starters and maybe the bottom half (Gabbert included). We're not a CB here or a WR there away from having a SB winning team. We already have one and have had one since '12. This draft, on paper and only as of right now, does a good job of extending our championship window into the foreseeable future. And that's what I want more than anything besides a SB. I want us to be the NFL powerhouse forever.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
its drafts like this and a clever trade on saturday for a new wide out, its making clever use of free agency and getting the right guy,, its stashing guys on injured reserve , because we can, that make you, or at least some, understand how forward thinking this front office is. Its moves like this that ensure the infamous "window" will be open for a long time to come. i am sure the predictable " its better to go all out and all retard to win one super bowl as compared to having a team that is capable of making a deep run every year" blather from the romper room is lurking out there
Originally posted by cciowa:
its drafts like this and a clever trade on saturday for a new wide out, its making clever use of free agency and getting the right guy,, its stashing guys on injured reserve , because we can, that make you, or at least some, understand how forward thinking this front office is. Its moves like this that ensure the infamous "window" will be open for a long time to come. i am sure the predictable " its better to go all out and all retard to win one super bowl as compared to having a team that is capable of making a deep run every year" blather from the romper room is lurking out there

Yes, but strangely enough, it seems to be coming from the old folks home as well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Yes, but strangely enough, it seems to be coming from the old folks home as well.
thats to bad,, this is the first time i have posted since friday morning, when i saw the insanity that took place after we made our first pick,, i could sense the zone was going to be a zoo for the entire weekend
thats to bad,, this is the first time i have posted since friday morning, when i saw the insanity that took place after we made our first pick,, i could sense the zone was going to be a zoo for the entire weekend

Coward!!!

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt May 10 49ers scouting gets it: draft is not about needs now; it's about needs in two years.

On a team that is absolutely stacked, they filled the only starting spot they still had open(nickel CB), and they added a ton of depth that will benefit the team this season and 3 seasons from now. This draft just helps to extend the championship window longer.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM ]
Solid A

1.) Jimmie Ward, CB/S - Strong contender to start as our nickel corner; future FS
2.) Carlos Hyde, RB - Arguably the best RB in the draft adding power/speed to our run-heavy offense
3.) Marcus Martin, C - Arguably the best center in the draft; shoring up our shakiest OL position
4.) Chris Borland, ILB - Could challenge Wilhoite for Bowman's spot; likely ace special teamer
5.) Brandon Thomas, OL - Quality insurance in case Iupati leaves, PuP for 2014
6.) Bruce Ellington, WR/ST - Speed/quickness from the slot plus special teams skills
7.) Dontae Johnson, CB - Long CB to challenge Cully; might even be a better as a FS
8.) Aaron Lynch, DE/OLB - Raw pass rush talent nabbed in the 5th; ideal developmental prospect
9.) Keith Reaser, CB - Speedy CB that can be PuPd
10.) Kenneth Acker, CB - Corner with good size; reminds me of Brock
11.) Kaleb Ramsey, DL - Another potential PuP prospect; could be another TJE type of DE/DT
12.) Trey Millard, FB/HB - Top FB in the draft, the 4th PuP prospect and the heir apparent to Bruce Miller

- Add in Stevie Johnson as either a starter or veteran 3rd WR
- 3 guys with clear paths to starting in the next 0-2 years (Ward, Hyde, Martin)
- 3 guys with a real good chance to start down the road but currently blocked by quality veterans (Borland, Thomas, Millard)
- 3 guys with a lot of talent/upside but need time/development (Lynch, Ellington, Johnson)
- Added the top RB, the top C and top FB in the draft
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM ]

Teams that make the NFCCG 3 years in a row don't often have a ton of starting roles available come draft time. Teams at this level often take care of their biggest needs/most starting roles in free agency, which is what Baalke did.

The only legit starting role to be had is the nickel spot and Ward seems destined for it (which immediately calls into question your assertion). Borland could also challenge for Bowman's spot, but clearly that would only be a temporary situation, and I wouldn't write off Martin's chances of beating out Kilgore either. But thinking that you even need a bunch of (or even a few) immediate starters to make this draft a success, is where you're off.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
A for the off-season.

What I liked?

- Acquiring veterans that still may have high potential for low compensation. Jonathan Martin and Stevie Johnson are players that still have high upside, but off-field issues resulted in poor performances last year. In the right scheme, these players provide depth and talent without breaking the bank. Blaine Gabbert, while accurately labeled a bust, could form into a solid backup for us.

- Non-aggressive free agency. Bethea and Lloyd are the two notable free agency additions to our roster. We are spending wisely in order to extend our core players.

- Our DB heavy draft - Ward, Johnson, Reaser, Acker. This draft adds size and physical skill to our secondary. The 49ers have been successful plugging CB/S players like Cox and Culliver into full-time CB roles. So I have great confidence in Ward and Johnson.

- The front 5 and front 7. Marcus Martin was a brilliant pick, and should start day 1 in my opinion. Snyder is expandable now. And I'm glad Baalke is 100% about the measurables as Borland is going to be an outstanding player for us. Aaron Lynch, while a risky pick, has tremendous upside with great mentors in the locker room. Our DL and LB coaches, along with Willis, J. Smith, and Bowman, should help mentor him into a contributor on our team.

- Speed at WR. Johnson is a quick twitch guy, but Ellington stretches the field. He's a slot guy that our team desperately needed. I had him in multiple mocks. And to get him in the 4th, just like we had Patton in the 4th, is great value.

- PUP Players. Thomas and Millard are going to be great assets to the 49ers in 2015, and Reaser adds competition to the secondary.

- Shane Skov - If Borland and Skov both perform well during pre-season, I think the 49ers could trade Wilhoite for a 6th round draft pick to a LB needy team.

- Power RB. Love that we secured our running game for the next 4 years with the Hyde pick. Some argue we should have targeted another position at this spot - maybe WR. But none of the WRs selected in this area - Landry and Robinson - added speed to the unit.

What I didn't like?

- The lack of a pure CB. Johnson and Ward are hybrid DBs that have experience at CB and S. I know Johnson has good size, but it does irk me we didn't slightly trade up to select Desir. And he also has a similar size to Johnson.

- I would have loved to see Osgood/Baldwin's replacement in this draft with a M. Bryant or D. Street pick.

- LaMichael James is still on the roster. The Panthers would be the perfect trade partner for us to ship out LaMichael James. They need speed in the backfield and another passing weapon, and James can fulfill both. 2015 7th round pick should suffice. Not too late.
I would have liked to see the 49ers get a CB earlier in the draft and in a very deep WR class get at least 1 of the outside threat WR's like a Latimer or Moncreif or Mathews ect.

All that being said the most important thing is that you draft players that can play and help the team and these guys look like they can play. None of our picks have bust or dissapointment written on them. As always it is to early to tell but for now it looks pretty good.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I would have liked to see the 49ers get a CB earlier in the draft and in a very deep WR class get at least 1 of the outside threat WR's like a Latimer or Moncreif or Mathews ect.

All that being said the most important thing is that you draft players that can play and help the team and these guys look like they can play. None of our picks have bust or dissapointment written on them. As always it is to early to tell but for now it looks pretty good.

Ward is set to play nickel corner this year.

I agree that a Latimer or Moncrief would've been nice, but the addition of Stevie Johnson (much more of an immediate impact player) made that unnecessary. Going into training camp with Crabby, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Lloyd, Ellington and Osgood is pretty darn good.

Just out of curiosity, with the picks we had available, who could we have drafted "that should start week one". What CB could we have drafted that would be a gaurantee to beat out Brock or Culliver week one? What WR would beat out Crabtree or Boldin, 2 pro bowl talents?

Ward might be our immediate nickel CB. Hyde may end up with the most carries on the team by the end of the year and should at least rotate in. Martin might start at Center. Borland might start week one and until Bowman recovers with Bowman out. Ellington could rotate in and might also help in the return game.

Joe Montana, Terrel Owens, John Taylor, Frank Gore, Navarro Bowman ect. ect. ect all were not week one starters. What a bunch of wasted draft picks those guys turned out to be.

This is how it works when you have a great team. You want week one starters? Become a Jets fan.
Share 49ersWebzone