There are 311 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's up at CB?

My take is this:
10 DB's will be kept, just like last year-5CB's/5Sfty's.
CB- Brock, Culliver, D.Johnson, Cox, Morris. The other 2 rookies will be split on the PS and IR. Cox can also PR, so he has an edge over the other vets.
Sfty- Reid, Bethea, Ward, Stillman. The last spot will either goto a convert (Cooks, Acker/rookie), or hold-overs Dahl or Ventrone, it will come down to ST play, versatility, and $$$$. but only 1 of these guys make it.
If Cox is converted to Safety, then the other rookie may make the CB spot above. But, its gonna be theez 10.
Originally posted by buck:
Here is a brief look at what the rookie defensive backs bring to the table.

This is great info buck. It helped me in the P/KR thread a ton!
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
My take is this:
10 DB's will be kept, just like last year-5CB's/5Sfty's.
CB- Brock, Culliver, D.Johnson, Cox, Morris. The other 2 rookies will be split on the PS and IR. Cox can also PR, so he has an edge over the other vets.
Sfty- Reid, Bethea, Ward, Stillman. The last spot will either goto a convert (Cooks, Acker/rookie), or hold-overs Dahl or Ventrone, it will come down to ST play, versatility, and $$$$. but only 1 of these guys make it.
If Cox is converted to Safety, then the other rookie may make the CB spot above. But, its gonna be theez 10.

I don't disagree, but Ward can possibly backup at CB and S in his rookie year, saving a spot for another position...or another DB. Versatile players are so nice to have. It helps keep an Osgood or Ventrone for STs as well.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
1st we get Jimmie Ward S/CB potential nickel CB
Now we add Dontae Johnson in the 4th rd, Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker in the 5th and 6th rounds

Are these 3 guys going to make the team? Wouldn't it have been better to get 1 guy earlier like Phillip Gaines in the 3rd rd? If we keep Brock, Culliver and Cook then these 3 guys are competing with Wright and Cox and Morris for 2-3 roster spots.

In looking back at the draft, I like what they did for the most part just the last three picks, thought they could have used them to get a better DB prospect than Acker.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
1st we get Jimmie Ward S/CB potential nickel CB
Now we add Dontae Johnson in the 4th rd, Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker in the 5th and 6th rounds

Are these 3 guys going to make the team? Wouldn't it have been better to get 1 guy earlier like Phillip Gaines in the 3rd rd? If we keep Brock, Culliver and Cook then these 3 guys are competing with Wright and Cox and Morris for 2-3 roster spots.

In looking back at the draft, I like what they did for the most part just the last three picks, thought they could have used them to get a better DB prospect than Acker.

Over the last two years, Acker did very well in coverage production.

He had 31 passes defended--6 picks and 25 passes broken up.

His coverage production put him among the leaders in this year's draft class.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Osgood is a luxury we can't afford anymore. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton the main 4. We could add 2 more to develop for the future while providing depth now. I wouldn't have sacrificed our entire draft for a WR but with 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds we could have used 1 on a WR and maybe another in rounds 4-6 like Ellington. You said "If they resign Crabtree". That is a big "if". Let's pray they do.

It's not the end of the world. This is the best set of receivers we have had since before drafting Alex Smith. With the time it takes to develop a WR, With us having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the situation with Crabtree and Boldin it seemed like a good time to invest in the future at the WR position.

Overall I still think we had a great draft.

osgood is a must have , not a luxury he's one of our special teams ace player's ...

i know we got lots of potentially good rookies but let us not repeat the mistake of two years ago when we gutted special teams and was a huge reason why we did not win the super bowl
Originally posted by cciowa:
i know we got lots of potentially good rookies but let us not repeat the mistake of two years ago when we gutted special teams and was a huge reason why we did not win the super bowl

While that is true, Osgood does seem replaceable. We have drafted nothing but special teams aces for the past couple years. Along with signing Spillman , drafted Morris, Moody, add in Borland, Ward, Johnson... I like Osgood as much as the next person but if Ventrone stays as our true "ace" then its a hard argument to keeping Osgood over a rookie who still has promise at a non ST position.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM ]
My projected 2014 starting Depth Chart (secondary)

FS - Antoine Bethea
SS - Eric Reid

LCB - Tremaine Brock
RCB - Chris Culliver
NCB - Jimmie Ward
DCB - Perrish Cox

Thanks for the stats buck. Acker definitely stands out (besides Ward).
I have some concerns at corner. I just hope our pass rush is humming all year.
Originally posted by znk916:

Thanks for the stats buck. Acker definitely stands out (besides Ward).

I am very hopeful that Ward will play well. I am also intrigued by Acker as well as Johnson (fingers crossed) .
Reid is FS, Bethea is SS not the other way around though the 49ers may prefer to think they have 2 FS rather than on of each.

Lost Dixon on STs this year, upgraded with Borland ... wish we would find quality replacements for Ventrone and Osgood so we can keep some of that quality depth.
Is there any chance that Ward gets work at outside CB? In other words, exactly Carlos Rogers' old role, outside on base D and slot on nickel D.

If he's has good as advertised, you would think we'd try to get him on the field as much as possible especially considering our starting CB opposite Brock is clearly the weak link in the D.
Culliver was better than Rogers before he got hurt ... other than his ability to locate the ball, he was better than Brock. I don't know he'll be 100% healthy or that he's smart enough to really be great ... but I wouldn't assume Ward would be a better CB as a rookie.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Yes, I was quite upset when they cut all the top STs players a couple years ago. But it's a very tricky balance and they can hopefully upgrade their key ST players to be key back ups as well. How many passes has Osgood caught? In the past nine years he has caught nine passes--one per year. So his value as a WR is less than limited.

A number of the draft picks were STs standouts during their college careers, so I'm hoping one or more of them can be the new Ventrone. But...there is something to be said for the wily veteran who knows all the tricks of special teams play. Some guys just have a knack for avoiding blocks or wrecking havoc on the opponent!