There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's up at CB?

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I believe they went undrafted ...

Exactly. That means 31 other teams had multiple cracks at drafting them as well and said "no thanks Jeff."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM ]
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is a brief look at what the rookie defensive backs bring to the table.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KaptooCrab:
Good grief! Im going to explain this like im talking to two year olds because some of you just arent getting it. ....know your team! Then speak.

Welcome. Did you bother to read the rules?

One or the rules, the first I think is

Don't be a jerk--or something like that.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nickel Corner was a huge need, 49ers took care of it with Ward.

Brock and Culliver are the starters on the outside.

After that it's basically going to be a massive Battle Royale involving Cox, Wright, Morris, Johnson, Acker and whatever UDFA's/practice squad guys for the final spots at CB.

this and I've heard a few analysis say that Dontae Johnson could battle for a starting job and at least contribute as an outside CB right away. I'm a UNC fan so I watch a lot of ACC football and I like the kid a lot.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
That is the whole point. It takes time to develop receivers and this would have been the best opportunity to do so. The deepest WR class maybe ever. We are loaded with extra picks early. We used a 2nd rounder in a 5th RB and a 3rd on a back up ILB when we could have drafted Latimer and Moncreif.

Overall we drafted good players and we had a good draft but this was a unique opportunity to finally develop our own receiving core instead of always having to trade for or sign as free agents expensive WR's many of whom are at the end of their careers.

Where do you see the room on the roster for all of these additional wide receivers?

Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Osgood.

They added Ellington who is a nice prospect, a Randall Cobb type. If they re-sign Crabtree and go with him, Patton and Ellington, that's a potentially very nice trio of WR's going into the future with additional guys added through future drafts I'm sure.

Stevie Johnson is 27 and doesn't have to be developed. He is under contract for 3 more year at a reasonable rate. Would you rather take a chance on Baalke's history of drafting WR's or trust in an established veteran?

Osgood is a luxury we can't afford anymore. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton the main 4. We could add 2 more to develop for the future while providing depth now. I wouldn't have sacrificed our entire draft for a WR but with 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds we could have used 1 on a WR and maybe another in rounds 4-6 like Ellington. You said "If they resign Crabtree". That is a big "if". Let's pray they do.

It's not the end of the world. This is the best set of receivers we have had since before drafting Alex Smith. With the time it takes to develop a WR, With us having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the situation with Crabtree and Boldin it seemed like a good time to invest in the future at the WR position.

Overall I still think we had a great draft.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Call me ignorant but we just traded for Stevie Johnson who has a 3 year contract and Quinton Patton.

Call me ignorant, but we will also have the 2015 and 2016 drafts to address the departure of Crabtree and Boldin.

It takes 2-3 years to develop wr. This was the year to groom crabs replacement. Patton has showed nothing which is troubling

That is the whole point. It takes time to develop receivers and this would have been the best opportunity to do so. The deepest WR class maybe ever. We are loaded with extra picks early. We used a 2nd rounder in a 5th RB and a 3rd on a back up ILB when we could have drafted Latimer and Moncreif.

Overall we drafted good players and we had a good draft but this was a unique opportunity to finally develop our own receiving core instead of always having to trade for or sign as free agents expensive WR's many of whom are at the end of their careers.
@McBeat,how is it that we see this along with others concerning the deep wr draft class and ONLY draft ONE wideout? amazing I agree Latimer,Moncreif.Bryant,Matthews..etc.... please someone explain this to me,,I guess Stevie Johnson was traded for to beat Dick Sherm.
We still have a great team and we have the best WR core we have had in over a decade. I would have liked to see us get a WR earlier. I understand the 1st 3 picks but we could have drafted a WR at #77 instead of Borland at ILB. Moncreif was on the board and others as well. We still had a great draft and I like the Ellington pick in rd 4. If we resign Crabtree it won't be as important so we shall see. I hope he stays.

Osgood is a luxury we can't afford anymore. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton the main 4. We could add 2 more to develop for the future while providing depth now. I wouldn't have sacrificed our entire draft for a WR but with 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds we could have used 1 on a WR and maybe another in rounds 4-6 like Ellington. You said "If they resign Crabtree". That is a big "if". Let's pray they do.

It's not the end of the world. This is the best set of receivers we have had since before drafting Alex Smith. With the time it takes to develop a WR, With us having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the situation with Crabtree and Boldin it seemed like a good time to invest in the future at the WR position.

Overall I still think we had a great draft.

osgood is a must have , not a luxury he's one of our special teams ace player's ...
osgood is a must have , not a luxury he's one of our special teams ace player's ...

This. ST stud
Originally posted by Phil:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Ward would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.
(edit)BRING ON THE HATE!

If the value on a CB isn't there, why take them there. I like that they went shotgun method and took players with upside that can be coached. You can totally hit on a CB late, because there's so much guys out there. They have done it before with Tremaine brock, Tarrell brown.

Brandon Thomas is a 4th round pick for a 2nd round grade, he's a guy to redshirt which they need. He won't count against the active roster. This is value and a chance for a starter later.

Borland was the 1st or second best ILB, it's a position we are thin at, and a good player. He must have been rated pretty highly for them not to take a corner, or they just felt corner was much deeper later in the draft.

Jimmy Ward would have been good if we hadn't picked up Bethea, I don't think you can think like that. Do you want to throw Ward in if he's not ready. We have a championship team, you can't mess around with players that might make it. I think nickel back is a big enough challenge. If he can beat out Bethea great, but Eric Reid is only a one year player and could lean on Whitner last year. I think he will win the job later, but he will push Bethea.

Carlos Hyde is a BPA and he solidifies the backfield. Marcus Lattimore has said recently that he's healthy but he doesn't have his burst yet. So taking BPA with the back they consider the best back in the draft is a good move. If they hadn't picked up Stevie Johnson I would have said get Cody Latimer, but they got Stevie Johnson, Carlos Hyde and Ellington, so I think they did great. We need a bruising back. LaMichael James obviously has some issues.

Great Draft by the niners three players will redshirt and the rest will fight for a spot. Skov probably makes the practice squad.

Way to go Baalke!

BRING ON THE HATE!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Id like to know what our scouts seen in Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker to pick them over players like Purifoy, Roberson

The draft pundits had Purifoy and Roberson ranked high among the cornerbacks.

Apparently, our scouts and other NFL scouts did not have them ranked very high.

Ackerman, in fact, had been quite productive in coverage over the last two seasons.

Here is somewhat of a reality check on these highly rated Florida cornerbacks.

Marcus Williams CB North Dakota State signed with Houston.
Bryan Shepherd CB North Dakota State signed with Washington.

So far neither Purifoy or Roberson, both from Florida and the SEC, have not signed with anybody.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349361/article/top-undrafted-free-agents-following-2014-nfl-draft
[ Edited by buck on May 12, 2014 at 8:05 AM ]
Colt Lyerla, Oregon is unsigned as well so far--NFL learning a lesson?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 12, 2014 at 6:47 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I won't give them that much credit, eventually someone will bring that knucklehead in for a look.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I won't give them that much credit, eventually someone will bring that knucklehead in for a look.

True--but they aren't taking him with a late round pick or rushing to sign him as a FA so I hope he gets the message! Johnny Football went later than expected as well and that's largely due to his shenanigans. The niners took a couple guys who may have issues...hope not...but maybe they can replace Aldon and Culliver.
Originally posted by buck:
Id like to know what our scouts seen in Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker to pick them over players like Purifoy, Roberson

The draft pundits had Purifoy and Roberson ranked high among the cornerbacks.

Apparently, our scouts and other NFL scouts did not have them ranked very high.

Ackerman, in fact, had been quite productive in coverage over the last two seasons.

Here is somewhat of a reality check on these highly rated Florida cornerbacks.

Marcus Williams CB North Dakota State signed with Houston.
Bryan Shepherd CB North Dakota State signed with Washington.

So far neither Purifoy or Roberson, both from Florida and the SEC, have been signed with anybody.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349361/article/top-undrafted-free-agents-following-2014-nfl-draft
Roberson and Purifoy are definitely kicking themselves for not returning to Florida.