There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's up at CB?

Originally posted by Hopper:
I'm not so convinced that will happen immediately considering Ward won't practice until training camp. I think Fangio will go with Eric Wright in the slot until he's fully comfortable with Ward in the sub packages.

I thought that the coaches are allowed to be on the field working with the players right now! It ain't contact or anything but I think he can come in as the nickel DB immediately! It is about %60 of the snaps!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I thought that the coaches are allowed to be on the field working with the players right now! It ain't contact or anything but I think he can come in as the nickel DB immediately! It is about %60 of the snaps!

That's correct. But Ward will be taking in mostly mental reps in OTA's and mini camps since he can't practice. I just think Eric Wright has the edge for the slot job because of experience and knowledge of our playbook.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't know, I like our CB situation.

We know Brock and Culliver will start on the outside. Both are talented man-cover corners who typically allow very little separation, and they get pass deflections in bunches. Both are really good at making plays on the ball.

Jimmie Ward immediately comes in and becomes an impact slot corner. Fangio astutely pointed out the slot corner plays more snaps than the NT. It's practically a starting position, and Ward is perfect for the role. Quick, fast, physical, smart.

Wright and Cox are much better than your average 4th and 5th corners. Wright has been a starter most of his career. Cox has always played well when given an opportunity, both in SF and Denver.

Then you add Morris, Johnson, Reaser, Acker, and Cook to the mix. We have depth beyond depth. It's crazy.

Good points Sofa--we never know just how all the pieces will work out but Donatell and Fangio seem able to make the DBs work, no matter who they are. This will be the youngest, fastest group we've had in years so I think there will be some really interesting plays--both good and bad. I would guess more interceptions but more missed assignments. Not sure Ward will start but he likely will by seasons end...as nickle.

So it could be Reid, Bethea, Ward, Culliver and Brock playing together for quite a few years. Of this group Bethea will be the old guy at 29. Of the back ups Wright is 28 and Cox and Cook are both 27. That is a very young veteran group, and when you throw in the young guys who may develop it is an embarrassment of riches.

25 or under: Reid, Ward, Culliver, Brock, Johnson, Morris, Acker, Reaser, Swanson, and Campbell.

The key is coaching and development, which I have faith in given our coaching staff's record.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good points Sofa--we never know just how all the pieces will work out but Donatell and Fangio seem able to make the DBs work, no matter who they are. This will be the youngest, fastest group we've had in years so I think there will be some really interesting plays--both good and bad. I would guess more interceptions but more missed assignments. Not sure Ward will start but he likely will by seasons end...as nickle.

So it could be Reid, Bethea, Ward, Culliver and Brock playing together for quite a few years. Of this group Bethea will be the old guy at 29. Of the back ups Wright is 28 and Cox and Cook are both 27. That is a very young veteran group, and when you throw in the young guys who may develop it is an embarrassment of riches.

25 or under: Reid, Ward, Culliver, Brock, Johnson, Morris, Acker, Reaser, Swanson, and Campbell.

The key is coaching and development, which I have faith in given our coaching staff's record.

Case closed. And nobody has noted that for the 1st time ever, we will be able to play press coverage with CB'S in Culliver, Brock, Cook and Johnson. With Ward, Reid and Bethea we can now also play single-high S. Tons of diversity.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Case closed. And nobody has noted that for the 1st time ever, we will be able to play press coverage with CB'S in Culliver, Brock, Cook and Johnson. With Ward, Reid and Bethea we can now also play single-high S. Tons of diversity.

Yes! So excited for next year to be here! I expect a much more aggressive backfield and that will help the pass rush and the MLBs as well. This has been a classic, great defense for three years with Willis, J Smith, A Smith and all the rest...now it takes another step! Some very good players will not make this team...what a long way the team has come in the past few years.
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by 5280High:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.

Why wait? Ignorant...
Id like to know what our scouts seen in Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker to pick them over players like Purifoy, Roberson
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Id like to know what our scouts seen in Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker to pick them over players like Purifoy, Roberson

Where did those guys get drafted?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 5280High:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.

Can't move up if you don't have a trade partner.

Baalke wanted ODB. No one would trade with him for appropriate value. That's a fact.

Tho I think you have a right to be confused over Carlos Hyde.

Well ya, with Crabtree entering FA and Boldin aging a viable replacement would have been the way to go with a second round pick and there were plenty on the board at that time. We also passed up plenty of skilled outside corner backs in the second round, even the third- our secondary has been our weak point over the last few years. We're set at WR for the 2014 season, which is GREAT. Also, if we resign Crabtree this draft is much better and the only down side is passing up on more skilled outside corner backs.

With Crabtree resigning a 2014/ 2015 WR core of Crabtree, Boldin Johnson, Patton and Ellington is great. If Crabtree isn't resigned looking to the 2015 draft for a WR is going to be a no go. And our corner backs on the outside have been burned the last few seasons. Waiting till the late rounds to address it was kinda, well, sloppy?

Would no one trade with us? I dont think that was the problem. I think the strategy was to bring in a bunch of people to compete.

I think you forget Stevie Johnson, I think he was a steal for a 4th round pick. Tell me, what draft pick not in the 1st round is gonna come in here and do better than Stevie Johnson?? He is the eventual replacement for Boldin, and who's to say the 9ers can't re-sign Crabtree?? Adding Bruce Ellington more than solidifies the wide receiver position, 9ers are set there.

And the CB's or secondary, notice the games where Carlos Rogers didn't suit up how well the secondary looked??

Sure I probably would have selected different CB's in the 5th or 6th rounds, but the 9ers brass (who has guided this team to 3 straight NFC Championship games), see otherwise.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

someone needs to watch film and the character features which is why they got drafted and Reaser can be the lockdown corner we have all wished his game tape is impressive
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Everyone wants a big name (me included), but this kid Reaser actually has been on the radar, same with Kenneth Acker. BUT, I'm hoping Jimmie Ward is the real playmaker for the 9ers secondary we (us fans) should be glad 9ers actually got him.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Call me ignorant but we just traded for Stevie Johnson who has a 3 year contract and Quinton Patton.

Call me ignorant, but we will also have the 2015 and 2016 drafts to address the departure of Crabtree and Boldin.

It takes 2-3 years to develop wr. This was the year to groom crabs replacement. Patton has showed nothing which is troubling

That is the whole point. It takes time to develop receivers and this would have been the best opportunity to do so. The deepest WR class maybe ever. We are loaded with extra picks early. We used a 2nd rounder in a 5th RB and a 3rd on a back up ILB when we could have drafted Latimer and Moncreif.

Overall we drafted good players and we had a good draft but this was a unique opportunity to finally develop our own receiving core instead of always having to trade for or sign as free agents expensive WR's many of whom are at the end of their careers.
@McBeat,how is it that we see this along with others concerning the deep wr draft class and ONLY draft ONE wideout? amazing I agree Latimer,Moncreif.Bryant,Matthews..etc.... please someone explain this to me,,I guess Stevie Johnson was traded for to beat Dick Sherm.

I believe they went undrafted ...

I believe they went undrafted ...

For a reason. They were all rep and no substance. Both ran 4.6 plus at the Combine then didn't do any better at their pro days.
Good grief! Im going to explain this like im talking to two year olds because some of you just arent getting it. When the value in the 2nd-5, 6, 7th rnd is comparable what is the sense of drafting higher for basically the same guy. Also since everyone seems to be so worried about Crabtree walking, why pay a comparable player 2nd round contracts when you can pay on the cheap and keep those big names like Crabtree, Kaepernick and Smith. Plus factor in the fact that guys like Carradine and Lattimore will contribute this season. ALL of these moves make perfect sense to me, because we didn't grab the splashy name or draft 87 wr in this draft people are losing their collective $ hit. Also as far as the Hyde drafting, he was the #1 rb on most boards and we got great value. Honestly would you rather put all the eggs in the franks the agless wonder basket or the consensus 1st round talent before twobblown up knees basket?! Maybe Hunters the answer? Which as of yet he hasnt taken the starters job.? Maybe LMJ? That guy can barely break the lineup..Hyde is some.smart as hell insurance in case Lattimores knees dont hold up or Gore looks 31 this off-season. Please dont forget its the final yeat for both Gore and Hunter as well..know your team! Then speak.