There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's up at CB?

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't know, I like our CB situation.

We know Brock and Culliver will start on the outside. Both are talented man-cover corners who typically allow very little separation, and they get pass deflections in bunches. Both are really good at making plays on the ball.

Jimmie Ward immediately comes in and becomes an impact slot corner. Fangio astutely pointed out the slot corner plays more snaps than the NT. It's practically a starting position, and Ward is perfect for the role. Quick, fast, physical, smart.

Wright and Cox are much better than your average 4th and 5th corners. Wright has been a starter most of his career. Cox has always played well when given an opportunity, both in SF and Denver.

Then you add Morris, Johnson, Reaser, Acker, and Cook to the mix. We have depth beyond depth. It's crazy.

To me, that was the huge question mark. If you look at the sheer amount of times that the 49ers were victimized in the slot by various receivers, its clear that was a major area of need. I have confidence that Ward will be able to handle that spot, he seems to relish a challenge, has terrific speed and awareness and is a ballhawk to boot. I was absolutely thrilled by that pick. My guy to take over that spot was Verrett but with Ward you get the bonus of someone who is a little bigger, can play safety in the future and tends to be a better tackler overall so I ain't even mad at all.

Out of the CB's drafted late, I'm intrigued by Johnson especially, terrific size for the position, lousy tackler, hence why he won't be a safety but if they develop him as a physical, press corner type, he could end up surprising a lot of people. Then you have Acker who will be competing for a spot as well and was the top CB at SMU with nice size as well. I like it, I can't complain at all.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Call me ignorant but we just traded for Stevie Johnson who has a 3 year contract and Quinton Patton.

Call me ignorant, but we will also have the 2015 and 2016 drafts to address the departure of Crabtree and Boldin.

It takes 2-3 years to develop wr. This was the year to groom crabs replacement. Patton has showed nothing which is troubling

Dude, Patton was injured for 2/3 of the season, so that might have something to do with it. And I disagree that he's shown nothing. He hasn't shown a ton, but he hasn't had the opportunity to.

Are you kidding, "nothing", haven't you seen any of his crazy dance celebrations? That alone is what will keep him on the roster...

We know Brock and Culliver will start on the outside. Both are talented man-cover corners who typically allow very little separation, and they get pass deflections in bunches. Both are really good at making plays on the ball.

Jimmie Ward immediately comes in and becomes an impact slot corner. Fangio astutely pointed out the slot corner plays more snaps than the NT. It's practically a starting position, and Ward is perfect for the role. Quick, fast, physical, smart.

Wright and Cox are much better than your average 4th and 5th corners. Wright has been a starter most of his career. Cox has always played well when given an opportunity, both in SF and Denver.

Then you add Morris, Johnson, Reaser, Acker, and Cook to the mix. We have depth beyond depth. It's crazy.

Are we even sure about Cully doe (legal issues pending)? I'm not sure about the rooks, but at least one will go to PS. Doesn't one of them qualify for PUP? I really think Morris steps up, his speed and ST experience adds to his cause.

You're right, this situation is worse than our WR depth... if all do well in TC/preseason, it's gonna be tough when we gotta go 53....
Originally posted by LVJay:
Are you kidding, "nothing", haven't you seen any of his crazy dance celebrations? That alone is what will keep him on the roster...

Are we even sure about Cully doe (legal issues pending)? I'm not sure about the rooks, but at least one will go to PS. Doesn't one of them qualify for PUP? I really think Morris steps up, his speed and ST experience adds to his cause.

You're right, this situation is worse than our WR depth... if all do well in TC/preseason, it's gonna be tough when we gotta go 53....

Reaser is going on IR, he tore his ACL. Johnson I see likely making the roster, Acker I'm not sure about but they'll compete and figure out who makes it in the end.

In the end, I see Brock, Culliver and Ward as the only guaranteed guys at CB. Wright, Cox, Acker, Johnson, Cook and Morris will all compete for CB spots and may the best guys win.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LVJay:

Reaser is going on IR, he tore his ACL. Johnson I see likely making the roster, Acker I'm not sure about but they'll compete and figure out who makes it in the end.

In the end, I see Brock, Culliver and Ward as the only guaranteed guys at CB. Wright, Cox, Acker, Johnson, Cook and Morris will all compete for CB spots and may the best guys win.

This exactly.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Call me ignorant but we just traded for Stevie Johnson who has a 3 year contract and Quinton Patton.

Call me ignorant, but we will also have the 2015 and 2016 drafts to address the departure of Crabtree and Boldin.

It takes 2-3 years to develop wr. This was the year to groom crabs replacement. Patton has showed nothing which is troubling

That is the whole point. It takes time to develop receivers and this would have been the best opportunity to do so. The deepest WR class maybe ever. We are loaded with extra picks early. We used a 2nd rounder in a 5th RB and a 3rd on a back up ILB when we could have drafted Latimer and Moncreif.

Overall we drafted good players and we had a good draft but this was a unique opportunity to finally develop our own receiving core instead of always having to trade for or sign as free agents expensive WR's many of whom are at the end of their careers.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
That is the whole point. It takes time to develop receivers and this would have been the best opportunity to do so. The deepest WR class maybe ever. We are loaded with extra picks early. We used a 2nd rounder in a 5th RB and a 3rd on a back up ILB when we could have drafted Latimer and Moncreif.

Overall we drafted good players and we had a good draft but this was a unique opportunity to finally develop our own receiving core instead of always having to trade for or sign as free agents expensive WR's many of whom are at the end of their careers.

Where do you see the room on the roster for all of these additional wide receivers?

Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Osgood.

They added Ellington who is a nice prospect, a Randall Cobb type. If they re-sign Crabtree and go with him, Patton and Ellington, that's a potentially very nice trio of WR's going into the future with additional guys added through future drafts I'm sure.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Would've liked to see a corner taken earlier. Dontae Johnson looks okay and may convert to safety, but I would've preferred Desir who has much longer arms (33" to 31 1/2") and better ball skills. I thought we had some backup caliber CB's already and would've preferred adding a guy like Gaines in the 3rd, but we did get Ward at least.

Should skipped the rd 3 Borland pick and instead traded down and draft Desir in rd 4 (and picked up an ILB late, like Skov, etc)
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Should skipped the rd 3 Borland pick and instead traded down and draft Desir in rd 4 (and picked up an ILB late, like Skov, etc)

Desir is a nice talent but there's a reason he was passed up so many times. If Baalke really wanted Desir he would have taken him. Instead the 49ers ended up with Dontae Johnson who is bigger, faster and younger all while having played at a higher level of competition.

I agree with you. The Niners have crazy depth at CB and should be able to find 6 quality players for their roster out of 9-10 players they have on their roster. This does not include any moves that Baalke would make once other teams make their cuts during the preseason. This front office doesn't stop looking and making moves ever.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Where do you see the room on the roster for all of these additional wide receivers?

Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Osgood.

They added Ellington who is a nice prospect, a Randall Cobb type. If they re-sign Crabtree and go with him, Patton and Ellington, that's a potentially very nice trio of WR's going into the future with additional guys added through future drafts I'm sure.

Stevie Johnson is 27 and doesn't have to be developed. He is under contract for 3 more year at a reasonable rate. Would you rather take a chance on Baalke's history of drafting WR's or trust in an established veteran?

I strongly disagree. It sounds like you're naming names just for the sake of it, saying that they give us depth. Yes, we have a lot of corners now, but to they translate to talent or depth? No. A few points:

1- Culliver WILL NOT start for the 49ers because he will probably be in jail, or suspended for good amount of time, plus he's coming back from an ACL, plus he got torched in the playoffs. Yes, he collects "deflections in bunches".. if he's playing teams like the Jags in the regular season.

2- I'm excited about Jimmy Ward, but we don't know if he will succeed in the NFL. Wright and Cox are decent corners.. DECENT.

3- All the other corners we just picked up in the late rounds.. who knows? But they aren't depth until proven that they are. This isn't court where you are good until proven otherwise. In the NFL you are nothing, until you prove otherwise.

As of now we have Brock, maybe Ward, Wright and Cox as average. If we are going to win the superbowl, We better hope those late rounders contribute.
[ Edited by tondiman on May 11, 2014 at 8:10 AM ]
CB is well covered in here. Was there a Deion Sanders and Calvin Johnson available in round 2+? The draft c was deep and it afforded us the option to go BP while skill filling our needs. After Watkins Evans ODB a Benjamin the talent was pretty much the same...quality but all developmental. Same with CB. After Ward, same concept. Is Moncrief really better than Baldwin? Is Gains really better than Brock, Culliver, Ward and then Wright, Cox, Morris n Cook/Swanson? Either way we will be developing them for a full year or two. Period. If Crabtree bolts we have Johnson n Boldin signed through 2015 at minimum. Plus Patton n Ellington. We only use 2 WR'S anyhow. No rush there.
^^^ I stopped reading when you said Culliver would be suspended. LOL

I'm not so convinced that will happen immediately considering Ward won't practice until training camp. I think Fangio will go with Eric Wright in the slot until he's fully comfortable with Ward in the sub packages.
[ Edited by Hopper on May 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
CB is well covered in here. Was there a Deion Sanders and Calvin Johnson available in round 2+? The draft c was deep and it afforded us the option to go BP while skill filling our needs. After Watkins Evans ODB a Benjamin the talent was pretty much the same...quality but all developmental. Same with CB. After Ward, same concept. Is Moncrief really better than Baldwin? Is Gains really better than Brock, Culliver, Ward and then Wright, Cox, Morris n Cook/Swanson? Either way we will be developing them for a full year or two. Period. If Crabtree bolts we have Johnson n Boldin signed through 2015 at minimum. Plus Patton n Ellington. We only use 2 WR'S anyhow. No rush there.

And we are stacked everywhere in every other position except arguably WR and CB. We even have excellent redshirting players in most every position group so if we had to sell out a bit in one of the next couple drafts we could and not miss a beat! Say we wanted a guy like Watkins next year. We could go get him and not have any other needs to draft. We are well positioned for success. All we need to do is stay healthy and get healthier!