There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's up at CB?

How many of you guys saw the Niner's draft board? Lol
Originally posted by NickSh49:
They're gonna put em all out there and see who comes out on-top.

Gotta trust Baalke. Gotta trust that maybe they wanted to move up at various points in the draft, but couldn't find a trade partner.

Trust Donatell. He gets the most out of our talent in the secondary.
Originally posted by Phil:
Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.

You make exactly the same point in a number of threads. As you will have observed, a number of posters disagree with you. Time to move on.
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Ward would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

(edit)
BRING ON THE HATE!
no hater here,I think the niners LIKE posession receivers .not really mad at the Ellington pick.....but I was hoping with such a DEEEEEP draft of wideouts,that 2 wrs would be taken atg least one with very good speed to take the top off of defenses,,,,,ugggh
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Ward would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

(edit)
BRING ON THE HATE!
no hater here,I think the niners LIKE posession receivers .not really mad at the Ellington pick.....but I was hoping with such a DEEEEEP draft of wideouts,that 2 wrs would be taken atg least one with very good speed to take the top off of defenses,,,,,ugggh

Originally posted by 5280High:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.
I agree,Crabs will be gone and Boldin retires,Niners should have gotten Moncrief or Bryant or Latimer or Matthews, oh well you can't fix stupid. Baalke should haven seen this coming a mile off with the wideout situation in the very near future...wideout class next year most likely will not be that good like this year,live with it.
From the outside looking in, if you're objective, it's a clusterf**k. I think clearly we wanted guys on first 3 rounds but they went off the board before we picked

I'm not a fan of a rookie at nickel, can someone refresh my memory....didn't culliver play nickel his rookie year? And bolden killed him there on SB?

Call me ignorant but we just traded for Stevie Johnson who has a 3 year contract and Quinton Patton.

Call me ignorant, but we will also have the 2015 and 2016 drafts to address the departure of Crabtree and Boldin.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Call me ignorant but we just traded for Stevie Johnson who has a 3 year contract and Quinton Patton.

Call me ignorant, but we will also have the 2015 and 2016 drafts to address the departure of Crabtree and Boldin.

It takes 2-3 years to develop wr. This was the year to groom crabs replacement. Patton has showed nothing which is troubling
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
1st we get Jimmie Ward S/CB potential nickel CB
Now we add Dontae Johnson in the 4th rd, Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker in the 5th and 6th rounds

Are these 3 guys going to make the team? Wouldn't it have been better to get 1 guy earlier like Phillip Gaines in the 3rd rd? If we keep Brock, Culliver and Cook then these 3 guys are competing with Wright and Cox and Morris for 2-3 roster spots.

You have a point, but also forget Reaser is on the IR. Also I trust Baalke's evaluation of DB's. Chris Culliver, Darryl Morris, Eric Reid etc.

Besides have you considered Practice Squad, which is a gamble, but how about special teams?

CJ Spillman, Vetrone or Osgood gone for Acker or Johnson
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

It takes 2-3 years to develop wr. This was the year to groom crabs replacement. Patton has showed nothing which is troubling

Dude, Patton was injured for 2/3 of the season, so that might have something to do with it. And I disagree that he's shown nothing. He hasn't shown a ton, but he hasn't had the opportunity to.
Originally posted by 5280High:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

We actually are fine at skill players. We got stevie who's going to be a beast in the slot, he's show he can beat the best cb's in this league, aka Sherman, Revis befor the injurys. We now have 4 thousand yard wr on the team. We have Baldwin who's 24 and patton who's 23. We grab Elton. Those are the possible guys to make the 53, We've even got more depth at wr another 5 guys that's a lot of wr's for a team who is a run on ever down team with 2 tightends.

We have 5 Running backs that will be on the team unless one is traded, not even including Jewel. We now have 3 guys listed at FB, we have Colin, and Gabbert at qb were stacked on oline now.
  • Phil
Originally posted by English:

You make exactly the same point in a number of threads. As you will have observed, a number of posters disagree with you. Time to move on.

I'm responding to the OP's question. It's the end of the draft/last day. I have an opinion that will obviously not sit well with opinions that are 100% A+ in support of the draft decisions. Discussion board. Differing opinions. I'm not being rude or anything.
Originally posted by Disp:

Dude, Patton was injured for 2/3 of the season, so that might have something to do with it. And I disagree that he's shown nothing. He hasn't shown a ton, but he hasn't had the opportunity to.

Good players earn their opportunity
Good players earn their opportunity

He DID earn his opportunity. He got bumped up to the #2 WR and then got injured, something entirely out of his control. When he came back he made some big catches, especially a nice clutch catch in the Arizona game. He was wide, wide open near the end of the NFC Championship Game however its not like he can throw the ball to himself ultimately. He looked good and will continue to get more opportunities, he and Ellington are the base of the 49ers future receiving corps.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM ]
I don't know, I like our CB situation.

We know Brock and Culliver will start on the outside. Both are talented man-cover corners who typically allow very little separation, and they get pass deflections in bunches. Both are really good at making plays on the ball.

Jimmie Ward immediately comes in and becomes an impact slot corner. Fangio astutely pointed out the slot corner plays more snaps than the NT. It's practically a starting position, and Ward is perfect for the role. Quick, fast, physical, smart.

Wright and Cox are much better than your average 4th and 5th corners. Wright has been a starter most of his career. Cox has always played well when given an opportunity, both in SF and Denver.

Then you add Morris, Johnson, Reaser, Acker, and Cook to the mix. We have depth beyond depth. It's crazy.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM ]