There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's up at CB?

Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by 5280High:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.

Yup ...your smarter than everyone. The people here, the analysts, espn. NFL network and our front office. Better talent evaluator than all those people. Despite everyone pointing out the places we filled those holes the team did nothing.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on May 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM ]
  • Phil
Originally posted by NickSh49:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.

Can't move up if you don't have a trade partner.

Baalke wanted ODB. No one would trade with him for appropriate value. That's a fact.

Tho I think you have a right to be confused over Carlos Hyde.

Well ya, with Crabtree entering FA and Boldin aging a viable replacement would have been the way to go with a second round pick and there were plenty on the board at that time. We also passed up plenty of skilled outside corner backs in the second round, even the third- our secondary has been our weak point over the last few years. We're set at WR for the 2014 season, which is GREAT. Also, if we resign Crabtree this draft is much better and the only down side is passing up on more skilled outside corner backs.

With Crabtree resigning a 2014/ 2015 WR core of Crabtree, Boldin Johnson, Patton and Ellington is great. If Crabtree isn't resigned looking to the 2015 draft for a WR is going to be a no go. And our corner backs on the outside have been burned the last few seasons. Waiting till the late rounds to address it was kinda, well, sloppy?

Would no one trade with us? I dont think that was the problem. I think the strategy was to bring in a bunch of people to compete.
  • Phil
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Yup ...your smarter than everyone. The people here, the analysts, espn. NFL network and our front office. Better talent evaluator than all those people. Despite everyone pointing out the places we filled those holes the team did nothing.
I didn't say the team did nothing. I said we could have used our 11 picks better. I said it's a decent draft if we resign Crabtree- that in that case the only down side is passing up on more talented outside corner backs.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Can't move up if you don't have a trade partner.

Baalke wanted ODB. No one would trade with him for appropriate value. That's a fact.

Tho I think you have a right to be confused over Carlos Hyde.

Well ya, with Crabtree entering FA and Boldin aging a viable replacement would have been the way to go with a second round pick and there were plenty on the board at that time. We also passed up plenty of skilled outside corner backs in the second round, even the third- our secondary has been our weak point over the last few years. We're set at WR for the 2014 season, which is GREAT. Also, if we resign Crabtree this draft is much better and the only down side is passing up on more skilled outside corner backs.

With Crabtree resigning a 2014/ 2015 WR core of Crabtree, Boldin Johnson, Patton and Ellington is great. If Crabtree isn't resigned looking to the 2015 draft for a WR is going to be a no go. And our corner backs on the outside have been burned the last few seasons. Waiting till the late rounds to address it was kinda, well, sloppy?

Would no one trade with us? I dont think that was the problem. I think the strategy was to bring in a bunch of people to compete.

Well it was reported that Baalke wanted ODB and couldn't find a trade partner to give him appropriate value, so it is what it is.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nickel Corner was a huge need, 49ers took care of it with Ward.

Brock and Culliver are the starters on the outside.

After that it's basically going to be a massive Battle Royale involving Cox, Wright, Morris, Johnson, Acker and whatever UDFA's/practice squad guys for the final spots at CB.

this. and one of our 3 5th/6th round corners is hurt and will redshirt (forget who)
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
I think the FO was throwing darts to hit on a CB and I don't think many of the late rounders will stick... of course I hope they stick around longer than Chris Cook ..

Ward should fill the slot.. Culliver and Brock should start... we need better depth though.. Wright... and hopefully one of the rookies...
  • Crown
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jd925:
I think the FO was throwing darts to hit on a CB and I don't think many of the late rounders will stick... of course I hope they stick around longer than Chris Cook ..

Ward should fill the slot.. Culliver and Brock should start... we need better depth though.. Wright... and hopefully one of the rookies...

i would venture to guess they use data and formulas and its a step up from throwing darts.

of course there are elements of risk and guessing - but its not throwing darts.
no worries about depth, we've been great at developing later picks or undrafted guys

I wish we had someone better than Cully though to start, ugh
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crown:
i would venture to guess they use data and formulas and its a step up from throwing darts.

Well dart throwing is not the best analogy... I'm guessing by the 6th or 7th they have a bunch of corners that are rated relatively the same and they essentially are just picking the highest ranked ones.. but essentially out of their pool.. it's dart throwing because the odds are so low in general... if they really liked someone they would trade up... by the 6th round.. who knows..most teams are throwing darts.. only a few teams probably know exactly who they want. Otherwise you wouldn't be picking so many DB's..
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Ward would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

(edit)
BRING ON THE HATE!

Disagree with your opinion of Hyde pick. It wasn't early, it was #57, late second round for the top rated running back - fantastic. And he WAS needed - Gore is fading, Lattimore's health is uncertain, Hunter is not an everyday back. Hyde is a our stud for years - super pick.

Think we are OK on receivers with three (Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson) reliable and experienced, Ellington as occasionally long threat, and Vernon D. always a long threat. We are still a running team, more than ever with Hyde.

Ward will play nickel. They will dump Culliver (latest is a civil suit for threatening someone with brass knuckles). He wasn't that good anyway. Best solution is to sign a top free agent - Talib or Veneer (spelling?). Failing that, rest will compete. Wright probably best bet as he has most experience as a starter.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Jd925:

Would have preferred we used the #77 pick on CB Phillip Gaines. I just hope we don't end up cutting these guys and wasting the picks. Maybe we couldn't trade up in some spots without a seller but we were trading back.
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Ward would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

(edit)
BRING ON THE HATE!
I disagree with you on not needing a running back. Gore is going to be 31...We don't know what we have in Latimore. I hope he's a beast...but, even if he is, it will be nice to have two big powerful backs and Kendall Hunter for a change of pace. Also, you have to remember that they did trade for Stevie Johnson who is a known commodity and better than any receiver they could have gotten in round 2. Ward played almost 50% of the snaps as a nickel corner...that's what he'll play with the Niners. The guy will be good. And so will the kid from NC State, Johnson.
[ Edited by Black24Razor on May 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM ]
Not Crazy about this draft. All hype and ALL THOSE PICKS. D+. Baalke should have done better
The problem is that Baalke passed up on taking CBs and WRs with the picks he had. You can't use the attempted trade up for ODB to explain Baalke's failure to draft CBs and WRs with the five picks he held in rounds 2 and 3. Every time I said to myself "oh, here's where we go WR or CB", Baalke either traded down or picked some other position (RB, C, G).

I would have used the shotgun approach on CBs and WRs in the early rounds. I'd rather have two CB draftees with 2nd and 3rd round grades than three CB draftees with late round grades. Same with WR.

We drafted Iupati's replacement. Crabs gonna get extended