LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

What's up at CB?

1st we get Jimmie Ward S/CB potential nickel CB
Now we add Dontae Johnson in the 4th rd, Keith Reaser and Kenneth Acker in the 5th and 6th rounds

Are these 3 guys going to make the team? Wouldn't it have been better to get 1 guy earlier like Phillip Gaines in the 3rd rd? If we keep Brock, Culliver and Cook then these 3 guys are competing with Wright and Cox and Morris for 2-3 roster spots.
Yes, let's get some experienced breakdown
They're gonna put em all out there and see who comes out on-top.

Gotta trust Baalke. Gotta trust that maybe they wanted to move up at various points in the draft, but couldn't find a trade partner.
Honestly unless we traded up we weren't getting of the top CBs, and it doesn't sound like Baalke really liked them the way he liked Reid last year. With that in mind, Ward was as good a solution available, because his presence as a slot corner pushes Wright to the outside to compete with Cully and others for the spot opposite Brock.

I wouldn't worry about CB too much, we've drafted and signed well at the position for many years now. That's a credit to the scouts and the coaches. I'm pretty certain one of the late picks or undrafted signees will turn out to be a pleasant surprise, just hopefully we don't have another Nnamdi situation where a deserving young player gets shipped off.
[ Edited by znk916 on May 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM ]
Nickel Corner was a huge need, 49ers took care of it with Ward.

Brock and Culliver are the starters on the outside.

After that it's basically going to be a massive Battle Royale involving Cox, Wright, Morris, Johnson, Acker and whatever UDFA's/practice squad guys for the final spots at CB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nickel Corner was a huge need, 49ers took care of it with Ward.

Brock and Culliver are the starters on the outside.

After that it's basically going to be a massive Battle Royale involving Cox, Wright, Morris, Johnson, Acker and whatever UDFA's/practice squad guys for the final spots at CB.
Interesting. Now let's get some ballsy predictions on your part. Whose breaking thru, whose jersey should we pre-order. Thanks
Reaser wont even play this year, he is a red shirt.

The rest are what is called "the shotgun approach"
After Brock, Culliver, and Ward, I can see Morris (great potential), Wright, I can see two more guys making it. Seven corners seems higher than normal, but Ward will probably play both corner and safety. There's a possibility it may happen with Dontae Johnson as well, but I think they will leave him at corner.
I think It will be Brock and Culliver, with Morris on the slot. I think they like Morris. If Culliver is out it could be Brock and Morris starting on the outside.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Ward would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

(edit)
BRING ON THE HATE!
[ Edited by Phil on May 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM ]

Originally posted by Phil:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

I'll give it a C grade now mainly because the lack of a viable outside cornerback and WR option to replace Crabtree and or Boldin.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids
Would've liked to see a corner taken earlier. Dontae Johnson looks okay and may convert to safety, but I would've preferred Desir who has much longer arms (33" to 31 1/2") and better ball skills. I thought we had some backup caliber CB's already and would've preferred adding a guy like Gaines in the 3rd, but we did get Ward at least.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
We should have traded up for a better corner back option. These late corner back picks are a waste. The late linebacker pick was a waste (Lynch). Borland was a waste at that spot and skill level, although a great player/ back up right now, in time he'll have no role other than ST's. The Brandon Thomas pick was extremely risky with a torn ACL freshman year and a torn ACL in draft warmups. Ellington wont be much of a replacement if Crabtree isn't resigned and isn't much of a replacement for an aging Boldin- he wont see much play as WR this year. The Johnson trade was great. Best move overall. If we resign Crabtree this draft is a B+. Marcus Martin is a solid pick. Getting a running back that early, even at all this year wasn't necessary. Hunter must be a bust and Lattimore must have a giant question mark over his head. Hyde would have been great if not in the first round and especially if we didn't pick up/pay Bethea.

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.
I see Ward playing The nickel this season.
Next year, if Ward is ready, he moves to safety.
Then, Reaser, Morris, or draft pick takes the nickel spot.
Originally posted by 5280High:

BRING ON THE HATE!

Stay in school kids

Call me ignorant after more than half our picks dont make the team when we could have picked up more skilled players. Call me ignorant after Crabtree walks and Boldin is gone.

Can't move up if you don't have a trade partner.

Baalke wanted ODB. No one would trade with him for appropriate value. That's a fact.

Tho I think you have a right to be confused over Carlos Hyde.
Share 49ersWebzone