LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

3rd Draft in a Row Without a Projected Starter

Originally posted by BrianGO:
The Hyde pick is the only one I am iffy on.

We grabbed LMJ, and he never saw the field because we were loaded at running back. I hope the same situation does't happen again.

LMJ was a nod to the 49ers running more of the pistol...spread looks...etc.....Hyde is going back to the essence of who this team is, power football.
Some people will never be happy. We drafted at least 4 starters. They may not start this year, but we are finally to the point where we can use some picks for their impact in the future, not this year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The Hyde pick is the only one I am iffy on.

We grabbed LMJ, and he never saw the field because we were loaded at running back. I hope the same situation does't happen again.

LMJ was a nod to the 49ers running more of the pistol...spread looks...etc.....Hyde is going back to the essence of who this team is, power football.

So is Gore, so is Lattimore, so is Millard. It's great to go back to the essence of power football and all, but our essence is getting very crowded.
We also brought in Brandon Jacobs, he never saw the field for the same reason.

There can only be so many running backs on the field at once. What if Lattimore is great? What do we do with Hyde? Hyde is more of a pure running back than a bulldozer.
So is Gore, so is Lattimore, so is Millard. It's great to go back to the essence of power football and all, but our essence is getting very crowded.

There can only be so many running backs on the field at once. What if Lattimore is great? What do we do with Hyde? Hyde is more of a pure running back than a bulldozer.

Gore is on his last legs, even if Lattimore is dynamite, you still need a platoon. Hunter is a free agent after the season, it could be that Lattimore/Hyde are the two backs of the future for the 49ers. The days of teams riding a single back almost to exclusion are basically over.

Jacobs didn't see the field because he got injured, and then when he came back he was an absolute d******d and pissed people off within the 49ers organization.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM ]

What if Lattimore blows out his knee again? Baalke has proven he isn't an idiot. Just trust him. After all, its his ass on the line, not yours or mine.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
CAWK suckers coming in here with these weak azz usernames (pretending to be disappointed/concerned Niner fans), laughable at best ... trying to convince themselves that their draft was better by ragging on ours

Gore is on his last legs, even if Lattimore is dynamite, you still need a platoon. Hunter is a free agent after the season, it could be that Lattimore/Hyde are the two backs of the future for the 49ers. The days of teams riding a single back almost to exclusion are basically over.

Jacobs didn't see the field because he got injured, and then when he came back he was an absolute d******d and pissed people off within the 49ers organization.

If that were true, I would be 100% comfortable with Hyde as a contributor, but there is no evidence Gore is on his last legs. If Gore was truly on his "last legs" we would probably cut him this year. Why pay a guy 6 million of our precious cap space, if we have two young studs in Latt and Hyde sitting behind him?

Who is starting for this team again?

Agreed, I think it was an amazing pick. If Lattimore is great, awesome! Lets hope Hyde is too! Last year we saw what happens in short yardage situations we use Boobie.... now who realistically doesnt think Hyde is a substantial upgrade over Boobie. Hunter is awesome and I hope we extend him but he is most effective between the 20s, Gore often needs rests at the Goal line, LMJ is basically a forgone conclusion.

So its awesome to know that we can run with fresh legs anywhere on the field. We didnt have that last year, LMJ and Hunter didnt get many chances in the redzone, Gore always got us there and had to rest, and Dixon became the 3 yard wonder we thought he would be for years but hes gone now. Assuming LMJ is gone, and everything goes well (not likely) we now have a RB corps that will be punishing and capable of a big play without giving the defense any type of a break.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
Isn't ward supposed to start at nickel and Martin will compete for the center job!

Originally posted by English:
2012 was a bad draft.

You didn't notice the strength of 2013? There will be 4 or 5 starters out of that draft. It is an indication - and I shouldn't have to point this out to a supporter - of the strength of the roster that it is hard to take a starting role and rookies can't just walk in to it. So in effect you are criticising the strength of the team.

And you don't think there will be a starter out of this draft? Baalke does.

So yeah, having a really strong roster is a real problem which will catch up with us sometime.

What he said...

If that were true, I would be 100% comfortable with Hyde as a contributor, but there is no evidence Gore is on his last legs. If Gore was truly on his "last legs" we would probably cut him this year. Why pay a guy 6 million of our precious cap space, if we have two young studs in Latt and Hyde sitting behind him?
Gore is 31 and I don't think the coaching staff is blind, they know they have ran him into the ground every year. With small RBs in Hunter/LMJ behind him they really didn't have a choice, I like Dixon but he was a short yardage HB/backup FB and that's it. Now with Lattimore healthy and Hyde coming in they have guys that can truly spell him and play our style of rushing attack. I doubt Gore is back in 2015 and we are set up to have a dynamic pair of backs to share the load in Latt and Hyde. Plus, zero guarantee Latt makes it back to what he was, Hyde was the best back in the draft, getting him at #57 was a steal.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Gore is 31 and I don't think the coaching staff is blind, they know they have ran him into the ground every year. With small RBs in Hunter/LMJ behind him they really didn't have a choice, I like Dixon but he was a short yardage HB/backup FB and that's it. Now with Lattimore healthy and Hyde coming in they have guys that can truly spell him and play our style of rushing attack. I doubt Gore is back in 2015 and we are set up to have a dynamic pair of backs to share the load in Latt and Hyde. Plus, zero guarantee Latt makes it back to what he was, Hyde was the best back in the draft, getting him at #57 was a steal.

Good analysis. When Gore is done, the Niners will be covered one way or another.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
What happened to Hampton?
Originally posted by rtj03:
I agree with original post.

We need an impact starter or two. We do have a solid roster but that has only proved to make us competitive but not good enough to be the best. We had all the ammo to get an impact,starter but instead we have players that will contribute in 2-3 years when the guys we have now are done and proved not to be good enough to win Super Bowl.

huh? All of our starters are set in place. No open starting spots, we got needed depth. Ward will be the Nickel back(not the group, lol). Martin may start. Hyde could next year when Gore is done. Ward could in the future. We got good all over the roster IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone