There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

Grade the 49ers Draft After Round 3

The overall draft grade just went to an A! They just picked one of their remaining needs--speedy receiver. Now if their is a good CB left at the end of this round...yowsa!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
1st) Jimmie Ward S/CB - A-
2nd) Carlos Hyde RB - B
3rd) Marcus Martin C - A+
3rd) Chris Borland MLB - B
3rd) Brandon Thomas OT - A

Why only a B for Hyde Brian?

I am trying to be fair. A "B" is pretty good.

Running backs are hit and miss. If he hit a position of need, it would be an A+, but it wasn't exactly a position of need, so it gets a good grade, but a "B".

Lets say for whatever reason, the best 3-4 OLB fell to us and we drafted him. Is it a B pick because it's not a need (considering we have Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, and Skuta)?
oops. put in my vote for after 4th round. Honestly after the speedy WR and the big corner (two types of players that I said we needed) plus the other value, insurance and playmakers I honestly think you have to give it a A+....stevie johnson for a 4th!!!!!!!....
Originally posted by ronin1387:
oops. put in my vote for after 4th round. Honestly after the speedy WR and the big corner (two types of players that I said we needed) plus the other value, insurance and playmakers I honestly think you have to give it a A+....stevie johnson for a 4th!!!!!!!....
Remember, we acquired Denver's 4th round pick next year during some of Friday's trades. For all intents and purposes we got Steve Johnson for a 7th.
[ Edited by theduke85 on May 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Ward B+ Good player but origonally projected around pick 40-45
Hyde A Good player and great value pick
Martin A Good player and great value pick
Borland C- OK player , too many good players we could use still on the board at WR,CB or even G Gabe Jackson
Thomas B Good player but redshirt injury special Probable mid 2nd to mid 3rd rd pick before injury. Average value rd 3 good value rd 4 or great value 5th rd on
I saw him rated the best Ss in draft on cbs. His proday stats had him as the top two safety on a fractured foot. Cb's had him in 1st. I say score... better value than percieved. Some had him there because of size. Wasn't Whitner good? But small
Let's hope. The only pick I really wasn't happy with is Borland. Would have preferred CB Phillip Gaines or WR Donte Moncreif
This is Bleacher Report Grades

Round 1, Pick 30: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

Many expected the 49ers to make a move in the first round, given they entered the draft with 11 draft picks and a limited number of roster spots available.

That did not happen in the first round as Baalke stood pat at No. 30.

Jimmie Ward has been an underrated prospect out of Northern Illinois, at least by media coverage standards. Draft analysts know what the versatile safety brings to the table, though, and so did the 49ers.

Ward is great in coverage, capable of playing centerfield or pressing a slot receiver. He is a nice chess piece for head coach Jim Harbaugh, one that will mitigate the loss of Donte Whitner, Tarrell Brown and Carlos Rogers in that secondary.

With Antoine Bethea brought in to directly replace Whitner, it will be interesting to see how Harbaugh uses Ward right away. Given Bethea's poor track record in recent years, though, it wouldn't be surprising to see Ward on the field just as often or more than the veteran.

Grade: B+

Round 2, Pick 25 (57, from San Diego via Miami): Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

Frank Gore is in the twilight of his career. Kendall Hunter and Lamichael James have not lived up to their draft status. But Marcus Lattimore is reportedly recovered from that devastating knee injuryâ€"is he in line for a timeshare with Hyde in the coming years?

Hyde was arguably the best running back heading into the draft, falling because of character concerns more than anything. While it might not have been a huge need, the 49ers may have fallen into the best running back in the class at the end of the second round.

Grade: B

Round 3, Pick 6 (70, from San Diego via Miami): Marcus Martin, C, USC

The green room emptied with the selection of Marcus Martin.

San Francisco doesn't have a huge need along the offensive line, but Martin was one of the best players left. He could give incumbent Daniel Kilgore a run for the starting gig as a rookie.

Round 3, Pick 13 (77): Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin

There is a reason the 49ers have become a perennial power house once more.

Chris Borland was yet another great pick for the 49ers. A bit undersized, Borland reminds some of legendary Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas.

Grade: A-

Round 3, Pick 36 (100, compensatory): Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson

Of course.

If any team was going to take an injured player to stash for a year, it was the 49ers. Just like Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore last year, Brandon Thomas heads to San Francisco with little hope of contributing as a rookie.

After that, though, the 49ers may have gotten themselves one of the best offensive linemen to come out of this draft. Were he healthy, he might have cracked the first round.

Grade: A+

Round 4, Pick 6 (106, from Cleveland): Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina

All that maneuvering from Baalke has really paid off.

Bruce Ellington was arguably the best receiver available, an excellent slot option for the 49ers, who are now overflowing at the position.

Grade: A

Round 4, Pick 29 (129): Dantae Johnson, CB, NC State

Grade: B-

Round 5, Pick 11 (111, from Detroit via Jacksonville): Aaron Lynch, DE, USF

Aaron Lynch is one of those talented prospects who fell because of character concerns. If the 49ers can straighten him out, they have found themselves yet another steal in a line of many.

Round 5, Pick 30 (170): Keith Reaser, CB, Florida Atlantic

Grade: C+

Round 6, Pick 4 (180, from Cleveland): Kenneth Acker, CB, SMU

Round 7, Pick 28 (243, from Carolina): Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

Round 7, Pick 30 (245): Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma

Grade: C
This is Bleacher Report Grades

Round 1, Pick 30: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

Many expected the 49ers to make a move in the first round, given they entered the draft with 11 draft picks and a limited number of roster spots available.

That did not happen in the first round as Baalke stood pat at No. 30.

Jimmie Ward has been an underrated prospect out of Northern Illinois, at least by media coverage standards. Draft analysts know what the versatile safety brings to the table, though, and so did the 49ers.

Ward is great in coverage, capable of playing centerfield or pressing a slot receiver. He is a nice chess piece for head coach Jim Harbaugh, one that will mitigate the loss of Donte Whitner, Tarrell Brown and Carlos Rogers in that secondary.

With Antoine Bethea brought in to directly replace Whitner, it will be interesting to see how Harbaugh uses Ward right away. Given Bethea's poor track record in recent years, though, it wouldn't be surprising to see Ward on the field just as often or more than the veteran.

Round 2, Pick 25 (57, from San Diego via Miami): Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

Frank Gore is in the twilight of his career. Kendall Hunter and Lamichael James have not lived up to their draft status. But Marcus Lattimore is reportedly recovered from that devastating knee injuryâ€"is he in line for a timeshare with Hyde in the coming years?

Hyde was arguably the best running back heading into the draft, falling because of character concerns more than anything. While it might not have been a huge need, the 49ers may have fallen into the best running back in the class at the end of the second round.

Round 3, Pick 6 (70, from San Diego via Miami): Marcus Martin, C, USC

The green room emptied with the selection of Marcus Martin.

San Francisco doesn't have a huge need along the offensive line, but Martin was one of the best players left. He could give incumbent Daniel Kilgore a run for the starting gig as a rookie.

Round 3, Pick 13 (77): Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin

There is a reason the 49ers have become a perennial power house once more.

Chris Borland was yet another great pick for the 49ers. A bit undersized, Borland reminds some of legendary Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas.

Grade: A-

Round 3, Pick 36 (100, compensatory): Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson

Of course.

If any team was going to take an injured player to stash for a year, it was the 49ers. Just like Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore last year, Brandon Thomas heads to San Francisco with little hope of contributing as a rookie.

After that, though, the 49ers may have gotten themselves one of the best offensive linemen to come out of this draft. Were he healthy, he might have cracked the first round.

Grade: A+

Round 4, Pick 6 (106, from Cleveland): Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina

All that maneuvering from Baalke has really paid off.

Bruce Ellington was arguably the best receiver available, an excellent slot option for the 49ers, who are now overflowing at the position.

Round 4, Pick 29 (129): Dantae Johnson, CB, NC State

Round 5, Pick 11 (111, from Detroit via Jacksonville): Aaron Lynch, DE, USF

Aaron Lynch is one of those talented prospects who fell because of character concerns. If the 49ers can straighten him out, they have found themselves yet another steal in a line of many.

Round 5, Pick 30 (170): Keith Reaser, CB, Florida Atlantic

Grade: C+

Round 6, Pick 4 (180, from Cleveland): Kenneth Acker, CB, SMU

Round 7, Pick 28 (243, from Carolina): Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

Round 7, Pick 30 (245): Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma

Grade: C
D+ from me. While I certainly hope all these picks turn out to be great players, the two biggest need areas of CB and WR (post 2014) were not addressed properly.

The combination of our 6 picks in the first 100, a deep draft in CB and WR talent, and our needs at exactly those two positions meant this was the year to pick up 2 WRs and 2 CBs in the first 100 picks. We had the luxury of over-fishing on WR to make sure we get the right guy. Especially given Baalke's misjudgment on previous WR talent, I wanted him to take 2 or 3 so he could bat .333 - .500 on his selection and we'd still make it out ok.
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
D+ from me. While I certainly hope all these picks turn out to be great players, the two biggest need areas of CB and WR (post 2014) were not addressed properly.

The combination of our 6 picks in the first 100, a deep draft in CB and WR talent, and our needs at exactly those two positions meant this was the year to pick up 2 WRs and 2 CBs in the first 100 picks. We had the luxury of over-fishing on WR to make sure we get the right guy. Especially given Baalke's misjudgment on previous WR talent, I wanted him to take 2 or 3 so he could bat .333 - .500 on his selection and we'd still make it out ok.

And what were you going to do with those WR's and CB's exactly? There wasn't a CB in this draft that would come in and start right off the bat on the outside. They needed a slot CB, they got one. Beyond that they needed depth and guys to develop for the future. With WR, once they acquired Johnson there wasn't any room for a bunch of WR's. You have Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Osgood, with one slot open for a WR which will go to Ellington.

". Especially given Baalke's misjudgment on previous WR talent,"

What misjudgment are you talking about? Because he's the first GM in the history of the NFL to miss on a first round pick? He got Patton in the 4th round last year, Ellington in the 4th round this year, as far as I'm concerned he's balling out of control right now.
  • buck
  • Veteran
the two biggest need areas of CB and WR (post 2014) were not addressed properly.

The combination of our 6 picks in the first 100, a deep draft in CB and WR talent, and our needs at exactly those two positions meant this was the year to pick up 2 WRs and 2 CBs in the first 100 picks.

If I look at the draft and then your above contention, I would conclude that 49ers did not share your view of the team's needs or the 49ers had a very different draft board than you did.

Of course it was Baalke and company that did not properly understand the team, its needs, or the draft pool.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

And what were you going to do with those WR's and CB's exactly? There wasn't a CB in this draft that would come in and start right off the bat on the outside. They needed a slot CB, they got one. Beyond that they needed depth and guys to develop for the future. With WR, once they acquired Johnson there wasn't any room for a bunch of WR's. You have Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Osgood, with one slot open for a WR which will go to Ellington.

". Especially given Baalke's misjudgment on previous WR talent,"

What misjudgment are you talking about? Because he's the first GM in the history of the NFL to miss on a first round pick? He got Patton in the 4th round last year, Ellington in the 4th round this year, as far as I'm concerned he's balling out of control right now.

Regarding what we'd do with those WRs and CBs -- have them compete, have them develop for the future. How are any of the other picks made in rounds 2 or 3 different? Are they not also about depth, and getting the best players on the field? Why, when it comes to discussing taking CB and WR in the draft, are we so stacked that we shouldn't draft them, whereas it's ok to spend picks on other positions where we are even more stacked?

Regarding misjudgment: I never said he's the first GM to miss on a first round pick. That's not the point; heck, even Bill Walsh had some misses. The point is that Baalke hasn't yet demonstrated that he *can* select a WR deserving of the #1 or #2 spots on the depth chart. AJJ was a bust. Patton might be good, but we don't know yet. So until Baalke demonstrates he can select a starting-caliber WR in the draft, what evidence do you have that he can?
Originally posted by buck:
If I look at the draft and then your above contention, I would conclude that 49ers did not share your view of the team's needs or the 49ers had a very different draft board than you did.

Of course it was Baalke and company that did not properly understand the team, its needs, or the draft pool.

Should no one have an opinion because we are not "Baalke and company"? If that's the case, why have this forum at all? We should just all sit back and say "well, Baalke knows more than we do". And no need to comment on play calling or anything related to coaching because they know more than we do, too. I guess the mods should just shut the forums down, since there's nothing we need to do except watch the games and assume all decisions made are the right ones and none of us could have done any better.

Impossible to take anyone seriously who gives the Niners a D+ for this draft. Laughable .
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Impossible to take anyone seriously who gives the Niners a D+ for this draft. Laughable .

If I factor in the Stevie Johnson trade, I'd up the grade to C+, maybe even B- because I think it was brilliant (Baalke practically got the guy for "free"). I have minor quibbles with the actual players taken; my bigger issue is the order in which positions of need were addressed, particularly relative to the strength of the draft.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Should no one have an opinion because we are not "Baalke and company"? If that's the case, why have this forum at all? We should just all sit back and say "well, Baalke knows more than we do". And no need to comment on play calling or anything related to coaching because they know more than we do, too. I guess the mods should just shut the forums down, since there's nothing we need to do except watch the games and assume all decisions made are the right ones and none of us could have done any better.

You voiced your opinion. I challenged the validity of what I saw as an underlying flaw in your contention.

In other words, like you, I voiced my opinion.

I never said that no one should not have an opinion. I never came even close to suggesting that you should not voice your opinion. I never said that all the decisions made by Baalke and company are correct. I never mentioned play calling.

Do you feel that my challenge to the logical and validity of your contentions violates the norms of rational discourse or that my opinion hinders the development of good discussion?
[ Edited by buck on May 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM ]